Hey

This isn't actually a question, but I thought I'd get a discussion going on something that I've been wondering about. Basically, do you think it's more important to have absolutely perfect technique (complete finger independence, thumb exactly on the back of the neck, etc.) or is the overall sound of the music you're playing more important? Of course, good overall technique is a given, but do you sometimes think people try too much to make their technique absolutely perfect and forget about the music?

Just thought I'd try getting a wee debate going.

Edit: Forgot to say, IMO, a balance is good. Solid all round technique is good to have, but you also need to work on your ear, some theory, some writing, etc.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by lfcagger at Dec 31, 2011,
Why do people think its either technique or music?

How do they even come to a thought like that?

Technique is needed to execute your musical ideas.

Ideas themselves are completely dependant on the musician, and good technique never hindered anyones creativity, exact opposite to be honest.

Edit: ^ bad technique, shit music?
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Dec 31, 2011,
i think there is truth in the op tbh, even tho I dont really believe perfect technique exists (everyone can improve something) its important to strive for perfection and not settle for sloppy. However writing also needs to be practised to be good and I think people forget that. Im not trying to offend anyone but I think there is tonnes of great music that wouldnt exist if said guitarist and spent all their time trying to sweep cleanly rather than exploring their musical ideas. I think a balance is best.
Quote by hr113
Why do people think its either technique or music?

How do they even come to a thought like that?

Technique is needed to execute your musical ideas.

Ideas themselves are completely dependant on the musician, and good technique never hindered anyones creativity, exact opposite to be honest.

Edit: ^ bad technique, shit music?

This. Technique is the tool for making your musical ideas real and that's it.

Therefore you should have enough technique to be able to say whatever you want to say on your instrument.
Quote by lfcagger
Hey

This isn't actually a question, but I thought I'd get a discussion going on something that I've been wondering about. Basically, do you think it's more important to have absolutely perfect technique (complete finger independence, thumb exactly on the back of the neck, etc.) or is the overall sound of the music you're playing more important? Of course, good overall technique is a given, but do you sometimes think people try too much to make their technique absolutely perfect and forget about the music?

Just thought I'd try getting a wee debate going.

Edit: Forgot to say, IMO, a balance is good. Solid all round technique is good to have, but you also need to work on your ear, some theory, some writing, etc.

Sound is the most important consideration, no questions asked but by the same token you can't have terrible technique or you could end up with a severe injury.

And yes of course some people get their priorities wrong, people do it in every walk of life and guitar is no different.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There are many guitarists with fabulous technique, but the ones that are famous and sell the records do it because they write great music.

Technique is obviously important, but writing and playing good music has to be why we picked up the instrument in the first place.
Whatever feels comfortable brother, that is perfect technique.
As for sound I think as long as you put your heart and soul into that fretboard, it'll be beautiful.
Technique is only part of your performance, if you can shred 16th note sextuplets at 250 bpm, well done sir, but if it sounds like crap, no-one cares. You're making music.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Basically, do you think it's more important to have absolutely perfect technique (complete finger independence, thumb exactly on the back of the neck, etc.) or is the overall sound of the music you're playing more important?

The overall sound is the whole point of technique in the first place.
I believe that specific genres and sounds require more improvement on certain techniques. If you want to be good at what you play you probably should improve on that technique so you can get your creativity out in every way possible.
in my eyes, paul gilbert has the perfect technique.

the reason that it is perfect FOR ME, is because he just balances his great knowledge and speed/accuracy with the soul and feel every guitarist should have.

i guess im just a fanboy
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED