Page 1 of 2
feel free not to take part in this at all, but i thought it would be fun to talk about some gear out there that is just downright awful. yeah sure, personal preference...whatever, don't fool yourself.

anyways, chime in with whatever gear that you've used in the past that just didn't cut it, and the goal is to shed some light on the folks out there who might be on the fence, hopefully this can push them.

for me, i am just not a fan of the DS-1, worst $40 I've ever spent, and worst $15 I ever made selling it back.

E
Behringher DD100 delay - It had virtually no treble response and cut up the dry signal with the repeats making it sound like a backfiring lawnmower

Fortunately i was given it rather than paying for it
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by AJScott
Line 6 Spider 4's.

Line 6 Spider 3's, are great however.

wut....

I had a spider III... it sounded fairly bad.

El cheapo starter pack from the late '90's contained:

Squier (bullet?) SSS strat- Worst guitar I've ever played. Action sucked (I didn't know how to adjust it). Pickups were super weak, and had the worst hum ever. I tried to take the pickup out to see if I could fix it, and didn't know that strat pups were mounted to the pickguard. pup fell through the hole and springs went shooting everywhere. I thought I broke it, so I took it outside and Hendrix'd it on the sidewalk. Was a great excuse to buy a better guitar though.

Some nameless cheap peavey SS practice amp with a push button distortion "channel". If you think a spider has digital sounding distortion, you'd probably want to throw this POS in the dumpster... Which is what I ended up doing.

I had some other SS peavey... possibly a rage? When I got it I was like "**** yeah!!" But it had a wonky volume knob. If you sneezed on it the thing would go full volume, which was deafening. Not to mention, the thing randomly going full volume would scare the SHIT out of you. No idea how many watts, but that thing was LOUD. WAY too loud to be a bedroom amp, which is what I needed.

Had a late 90's Zoom multi FX processor. At the time I thought it was a pretty awesome unit. It sounded better than both the SS practice amps I had played prior to getting it. It let me mess with effects. But it was very cheaply made, and I had to repair the thing about every other month. The solder joint on the output jack would CONSTANTLY break.

My spider III... I think everyone here is thoroughly familiar with why it's disliked.

Line 6 Uber metal pedal... into a spider... oh, I went there. I thought maybe a distortion pedal would sound better than the onboard distortion in the spider. It didn't. I didn't realize that pedal was basically the same crappy "insane mode" distortion from the spider.

Then I bought a triple recto, egnater renegade, Mark IV (sold the recto) I went from the worst gear on the planet to some really nice stuff.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
this is the kind of thread that usually escalates into a flamewar because for every junky piece of gear out there there's someone who uses it and likes it, and not necessarily because they are clueless, either.

Personal preference has everything to do with everything when it comes to gear, and the only thing that can be objectively bad is quality. some people can make a "bad" tone work, anyway. I've said it before and i'll say it again - i will never forget about this kid who played at an open mic night with a squier affinity strat about a year ago, quite possibly the 'worst' sounding strat i've ever heard, but he made that thin, brittle, empty tone with no sustain sound like that's just how the guitar was meant to sound.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
2 pieces of crappy gear for me.
a 15 watt SS marshall amp made by Park its basically the predecessor to the MG series so it sounds like balls but i have to use it so i just run pedulsss through it
the second piece isnt that bad its just a disappointment, my Peavey Predator Plus EXP, its a nice guitar but small things on it keep letting me down like the output jack, which wont stay on the guitar and the shitty knobs but i guess that is what i get for buying a cheap guitar.
Marshall MG-10CD. But like Blompcube said, it's all subjective. I still own the MG and still use it for practice, and will probably keep it as a backup.... but it just doesn't sound all that great.
Squier bullet strat special. Solid one humbucker piece of shit made of plywood. Also, dinosaur dsr distortion. Sounded worse than a ds-1 and the standby switch stopped working after two hours.
I am not trying to start a fight, ill just say that my mg10cd is great if you want an abrasive punk tone. Besides that my epiphone sg. Its pretty much the worst guitar ever, I've had wall mart guitars sound better, and be more sturdy
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Fab metal, MT-2 (Couldn't even sell this thing back, it's like a curse), Spider III, El-cheepo Dunlop crybaby. Also, the footswitch that came with my 6505 was pretty shitty.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by dementiacaptain
I am not trying to start a fight, ill just say that my mg10cd is great if you want an abrasive punk tone. Besides that my epiphone sg. Its pretty much the worst guitar ever, I've had wall mart guitars sound better, and be more sturdy

is it a bolt neck g-310? I had one for a few years, and mine was actually a pretty nice guitar. Though I've heard that Epi's can be hit or miss. Some are great, some are junk. Guess I got a good one.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Any Behringer pedals. They were cheap, and I thought, "Why not? They can't be that bad.". They were. Got a metal pedal because I wanted cheap heavy distortion that my Kustom SS couldn't do. It worked for a while, but I got sick of the abrasive and nasally sound. The attack made you feel like you could topple mountains with how it resonated from the speaker, but the tone was "mosquito buzz" thin and made solos sound like a screeching cat. Got a delay pedal for the heck of it. It was the most faulty and glitch plagued piece of equipment I've owned. Traded them in for an OD400 which is their take on some Boss overdrive (I think it's the OD-3). It was an improvement, but it was overly bright and scratchy. It also hated stacking with anything and in anyway whatsoever. Not to mention the buffers on these things sucked tone like a mofo.

My old 10 watt Kustom practice amp and Kustom Quad 65 DFX were also pretty bad amps. The cleans on the practice amp were as sterile as a surgeons tools x100 with no bass and the distortion sounded like pure static. The Quad 65 DFX sounded fine clean until you turned it up halfway. The distortion was fine on any level under 2 on the volume, but it turned into glass in your ears above that. Trying to dial the shrillness out just made it sound like ten blankets were covering the speaker.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by jpatan
is it a bolt neck g-310? I had one for a few years, and mine was actually a pretty nice guitar. Though I've heard that Epi's can be hit or miss. Some are great, some are junk. Guess I got a good one.

No its like, bottom of bottom end. It is below the 310. I think its the sg special
good stuff guys, keep it up. i honestly started this thread to educate people, not to start fights. i get how things are with gtr players, we all have egos that we see to and don't act you don't. but once you pull it back and go at it from a strictly honest and pro stand point, at least for me, i can't say to another guitarist that you should buy bad gear. i will talk all day about good gear, i'm sure you all could, and i love doing it. but everybody knows what's what. stay away from behringer, it's not worth your time. i've also never had much love for danelectro pedals, as far as stuff like amps go that's much more grey, it's a matter of what tone you want. and i just don't get why people would spend money on some things.

just wanted to bring this up and maybe stir up some trouble for myself, if you want to rip me a new one then go for it. i hate line 6, i think line 6 makes awful stuff, the amps are terrible, if you wanna sound like something then buy it, don't buy something that is a copy of it. notice that nobody is talking about money, THATS A GOOD THING. money shouldn't be an issue in discussing these things, if you can't get gear because of money...i beg you to just wait until you can.

the only thing that i could say i like by line 6 is of course the dl4, and i hear good things about the echo park as well...other than that, don't bother. i have a friend who prefers to plug into a pod rather than micing up an amp.....

E
A friend once lent me a no brand Mexican amplifier.
My ears still hurt from that day. . .
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
Ampeg SS140C. I like my amp, it does metal and cleans well, but thats ALL it does, and not really excelling at either of them.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I have a couple of old Ibanez Soundtank effects pedals. The Thrashmetal use to be run through the gain channel of an old Blues Deville 212. I remember it sounding terrible. It still does on any amp I try. I have a 60s Fuzz as well that someone gave me. I'm not sure how it sounds. It doesn't work at all.
I've also had the experience with Spiders (both ll and lll) so much so that I might as well may have owned one (actually had to borrow one for a couple weeks). I had some fun jamming out to some grainy metal sounds (cheesy sounding but it was just for practice), and the cleans were OKAY with some effects on (bad reverb though), but the bluesier breakup sounds and crunch tones were just awful. I couldn't dial in conventional rock sounds and overdrive for live use that I actually enjoyed to save my life. They also just sound horrible when the volume goes higher up. I tried to like it for it was. I tried to get a decent tone, but it was for naught. Fortunately, I was only borrowing.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I've only owned two pieces of gear I regret buying.. one is a Marshall MG30. Got it after playing for a year and I didn't know much about gear. Also, the DS-1. I honestly think it's the worst distortion pedal I've ever heard. But, again, I got it after playing for a short amount of time and I had no idea what I was doing with gear.

EDIT: And with the MG, I don't really think it sounds as awful as most do, but there's just a lot of other stuff out there that sounds better for the same price.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Line 6 Spiders.
Marshall MG's.

Yea I heard the MG series isn't all that. I've also heard that MG's lack high distortion.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by dementiacaptain
No its like, bottom of bottom end. It is below the 310. I think its the sg special

I have an SG Special I really love. Replaced the pots, tuners, and tune-o-matic and it's a dream. Love the shape of the neck, a little different than most Gibsons. Feels nice and sturdy too. The pickups are great (although I'd like to replace the bridge pup at some point with something with a little less output). Not saying you're wrong, just adding to the fact that Epi's are totally hit and miss and ya gotta try them out.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
My first amp was a Fender Frontman 15R. Worst sounding piece of kit ever made. The whole Frontman line needs to be done away with.
Well, i used to have these cheap amps and effects in the beggining: Stagg GA/DR 15, Gewa ZAR 10, Fender Frontman 15, multiefect Zoom G1, and some cheap Proel cables. i sold them all after two years and bought Roland Cube amp and Klotz La Grange cables, and all the footswitches for the cube. so much differences in sound, and deffinately very nice practice amp, very versatile, for all kinds of music. it was deffinately the big difference in sound. i still had that cubes and i don't want to sell them, because i reeealy like them !
The pick of destiny...
Last edited by Sabbath_84 at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Line 6 Spiders.
Marshall MG's.
B.C Rich guitars.
Gibson SG Special.
EMG Pick ups

This sounds like you are on the bandwagon. Did you actually own any of these?

Worst amp I owned I actually got for free was a crate SS head with an Ampeg 4x12. Pointless and 1 dimensional.

Some crappy boss chorus pedal, MT-2 I got in 98 or 99. I was very new to guitar and could tell it sucked first time I used it. Luckily it was a gift and I didn't pay for it.
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 31, 2011,
Used to have a 10W amp which I believe was made by a company called "X-Brand" or something. Painful. I have an old plywood Harmony electric, it sounds amazing but goes out of tune virtually instantly and is impossible to set up with anything less than about a half-inch of action, so it's damn near unplayable.
Hmm... for this year, it has to be the Seymour Duncan Invader neck pickup. Just sounded terrible. Don't want it to sound like this is a knock on SD, because most of their pickups I've tried seem to be pretty good, but that Invader was terrible. Couldn't get it out fast enough.
I have that Roland Cube practice amp that's got the 4 little speakers, and it was a big letdown....
Quote by sg4ever
Any Behringer pedals. They were cheap, and I thought, "Why not? They can't be that bad.". They were...

...My old 10 watt Kustom practice amp and Kustom Quad 65 DFX were also pretty bad amps. The cleans on the practice amp were as sterile as a surgeons tools x100 with no bass and the distortion sounded like pure static.

+1 on both statements. I bought a Behringer pitch shifter a while back. Ended up GIVING it away because it sucked so horribly. I swear that pedal wounded my inner child.

My very first amp was a 10 watt Kustom amp. It was m'kay for someone starting out, but in retrospect... what a piece of sh*te.

And my own contribution: Boss MetalZone. Until you get that thing modded, it's a sterile-sounding, underpowered brick. And yet... still one of the best pedals Boss makes. Which shows what I think of the rest of the line.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Last edited by music_warrior at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by music_warrior
And my own contribution: Boss MetalZone. Until you get that thing modded, it's a sterile-sounding, underpowered brick. And yet... still one of the best pedals Boss makes. Which shows what I think of the rest of the line.

Are you referring to only distortion pedals? The MT-2 isn't even usable. The majority of their non-distortion pedals are relatively easy to find something decent from. Not great, but not bad either. But the MT-2 is a static box.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
Are you referring to only distortion pedals? The MT-2 isn't even usable. The majority of their non-distortion pedals are relatively easy to find something decent from. Not great, but not bad either. But the MT-2 is a static box.

Yes. Their OD's and distortions suck, although a few guys I know have gotten decent sounds out of pedals like the OD-1. I really don't care for the unfocused sound they put out.

To be fair, I've always liked Boss's Acoustic Simulator pedal. Might even pick one up someday for the novelty, otherwise I'll never buy another Boss product. Nice if you're on a budget, but MXR's where it's at (in my opinion).
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Danelectro FAB flange.

Granted the FAB series is far from high end.
But the FAB Chorus IMO, they got that one right.

Boss MT-2 is a POS. I gave mine away.

Now, quick Off Topic (Thread Hi-Jack?) here....

How about pedals that due to their low price or maybe a bad reputation pleased you?
Or at least surprised you?

My picks there would be the FAB Chorus and DOD Flashback Fuzz.

(Or was that already a thread not long ago?)
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by lifesglorydead
I have an SG Special I really love. Replaced the pots, tuners, and tune-o-matic and it's a dream. Love the shape of the neck, a little different than most Gibsons. Feels nice and sturdy too. The pickups are great (although I'd like to replace the bridge pup at some point with something with a little less output). Not saying you're wrong, just adding to the fact that Epi's are totally hit and miss and ya gotta try them out.

Oh I agree with you completely. My lp100 is still one of my fav guitars, the only thing I've changed is the tuner knobs. I just wanted to put my expirience out there, I generally have been able to find a useful application for all my cheap gear, and I think its fun to take mediocre stuff and make the best of it.
To the guy that hated on the gibby sg special, I love mine to death, but I have already had to repair my neck, and mines only a few years old. I love everything about that axe, but I would never recomend it to anyone strictly based on the poor qc on those guitars.
I didn't really like the Marshall JMD series. There was just something about it that didn't click with me and I thought that it was the way forward with modelling...boy was I wrong.
Last edited by RobertHMoscrop at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by music_warrior
And yet... still one of the best pedals Boss makes. Which shows what I think of the rest of the line.

Really?? The MT-2 is absolute garbage, easily one of the worst pedals Boss has put out. They have far, FAR better pedals in their line. I'm a recent convert to the Fender '63 Spring Reverb pedal - sounds very accurate to the real deal, and is a LOT easier for me to carry around than a honking big tube spring reverb tank. The only other pedal I can think that comes close to the 'real' spring sound is the Wampler Faux Spring Reverb or the SolidgoldFX Surf Rider, both of which are well into boutique price range, so the Boss is a bargain in this respect I think.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Digitech Metal Master. Pretty much the same situation as the MT-2, just ****ing awful. I guess the upside is it was built pretty decently. Too bad it sounded so bad.
Epiphone G-310. Thing didn't hold together for half a year! On top of that, it looked awful. The things are like caricatures of real SG's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2