Hey guys! My guitar or amp is really really noisy. Usually when i play, the tone knob on my guitar is 6-7 and the volume knob is ten because when its 6 or 7 its really noisy dont know why. Any solution to this? And when I dont play anythin, its really really noise. theres the shhhhh noise, the buzz and the noise you get when you place a mic too close to its amp. An ear drilling noise.. Yup.. But when i mute all the strings, I get rid of all the noise and when i place my hand over the bridge, its eliminates all noise problems, except for the ear drilling noise.... Hmm.. What do I do? I use a Yamaha Pacifica 012 w/ stock pickups and a peavey vypyr 15. I use a normal 1/4th cable not a guitar cable.....
Help!!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
a) If that cable was meant for instruments then that's fine, otherwise use a proper guitar cable. They have shielding to prevent excess noise.

b) Turn on the amp without a cable attached. If there's no bad noises, it's all your guitar/cable's fault. If that's the case and you can't fix it, you can buy a noise gate which'll cut out the noise when not playing.

c) If it is your guitar/cable, check to see if it's grounded properly. I don't know much about that though so someone else can inform you on that. Or google it. It's not that hard.. If you're feeling ghetto about it you can sellotape a ground wire temporarily.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
pull the cover off the back that goes over the springs and sustain block. Do you see a wire soldered to the bridge or sustain block? has it come loose? Though it seems if that were the case it wouldn't stop when you touched the strings.

Quote by TS
I use a normal 1/4th cable not a guitar cable.....

I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds like you're not using an instrument cable. If that's the case... go buy an instrument cable.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Silent Murder
a) If that cable was meant for instruments then that's fine, otherwise use a proper guitar cable. They have shielding to prevent excess noise.

b) Turn on the amp without a cable attached. If there's no bad noises, it's all your guitar/cable's fault. If that's the case and you can't fix it, you can buy a noise gate which'll cut out the noise when not playing.

c) If it is your guitar/cable, check to see if it's grounded properly. I don't know much about that though so someone else can inform you on that. Or google it. It's not that hard.. If you're feeling ghetto about it you can sellotape a ground wire temporarily.

Noise gate would cost as much as the amp itself.

TS, did I read properly, that you play with the amps volume sitting at ten?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Well, the guitar looks to be a H-S-S set up.

What position is the pickup selector in when you hear this noise? All positions or just when the humbucker is not selected?
Quote by Silent Murder

Ok yeah i dont use an instrument cable but ill go get one right away. The amp makes no noise what so ever.

Quote by jpatan
pull the cover off the back that goes over the springs and sustain block. Do you see a wire soldered to the bridge or sustain block? has it come loose? Though it seems if that were the case it wouldn't stop when you touched the strings.

Are you talking about the cavity behind the guitar?

Quote by Guitarbaddie

TS, did I read properly, that you play with the amps volume sitting at ten?

No I play usually at 2-3-4....

Quote by irnmadn88
What position is the pickup selector in when you hear this noise? All positions or just when the humbucker is not selected?

No it happens with all pickups. But on the single coil it makes a raspy sound but when i move away from the amp, its okay
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Jan 1, 2012,
The earth wire has come adrift. It goes between the back of the pots and the bridge. Remove the cover on the back of the guitar and locate the wire. Now give it a little tug, don't go overboard. It should be firmly anchored at both ends. A gentle tug should not dislodge it, if it does it needs to be reterminated or replaced.
With any luck it's come adrift at the bridge. To fix the other end requires removing the scratchplate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Perhaps, you should check that where are those noises coming from first, and solve them from that.

It may cause by your house's electrical systems, cheap and poor quality cables, your pick up configurations, or etc....
If the noise goes away when you touch the strings it will almost certainly be the earth wire to the bridge. You start at the most likely culprit first and that's it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah when i touch the strings or the bridge, the noise just disappears! So are you saying that, even if I buy an instrument cable it wont remove any noise? Im planning on getting fender cables!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
I've told you what to do, it's an earthing problem. You should use a decent cable anyway it will help keep out other noises as well. But $100 cable or piece of wet string, you have an earth problem and it won't go away until you fix it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by amithkallupalam
Yeah when i touch the strings or the bridge, the noise just disappears!
That definitely indicates the bridge is not grounded.