Page 1 of 2
Hi.i am going to buy my first electric guitar.i like the flying v shape but is it for metal?i dont play metal but i like this shape.pls help me.which do you suggest me?
Post what sort of music you wish to play, what's your budget and also consider that you will need a good amp. Do this and let the posts begin.
get the guitar that will make you want to learn and play it.

Do you play accoustic guitar at all, or are you new to guitar?

If you have a little bit of guitar knowledge try what ever you want to buy first, or have a friend that plays test it for you. If it doesn't feel cofortabl when you hold it, don't get it. And never buy a first guitar on looks alone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If I were you I'd go for a Fender (or squir depending on your budget) Strat or Tele, there very versatile.

I'm not a metal player but i've always associated v- shaped guitars, for example by Jackson as metal guitars.

I'm sure theres no problem playing other genres of music on a 'metal' guitar, but they would probably sound a lot better played on a guitar renowned in that genre you want to play.

You'll almost certainly get biased opinions on what guitar to buy, some people love gibson's, some people love ernie ball musicman, some love schecter's. I personally am biased towards Fender Strats.
I like rock and hard rock.my max budget is 300€ for an electric guitar.
Quote by Robbgnarly
get the guitar that will make you want to learn and play it.

Do you play accoustic guitar at all, or are you new to guitar?

If you have a little bit of guitar knowledge try what ever you want to buy first, or have a friend that plays test it for you. If it doesn't feel cofortabl when you hold it, don't get it. And never buy a first guitar on looks alone.

I am playing a classical guitar about a month.i have learned a lot alone.
Quote by pankar94
I like rock and hard rock.my max budget is 300€ for an electric guitar.

do you have any local music store in your area, where you can go try some diff guitars out?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
do you have any local music store in your area, where you can go try some diff guitars out?

I have but it doesnt have all guitar shapes.it has mainly les paul and strat shapes.the shape isnt the problem.i can get used to it.
For rock and hard rock perhaps an Epiphone Les Paul. I'm not sure about your currency, but i'm sure if you went second hand you'd get a good one.
the big problem with a v is that it's a pain to sit down with, and if you're only starting out you're likely to want to spend a fair bit of time sitting down, practising.

some people don't mind sitting down with one in the classical position. if you don't mind that (i do), then go for it. EDIT: it depends on the model, but i wouldn't say they're that metal. it depends on the pickups in it, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What gernes of music can you play with a single coil guitar and with a humbucker?
Quote by pankar94
What gernes of music can you play with a single coil guitar and with a humbucker?

you can use what ever you want. But Humbuckers are better suited for harder music like metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Should i buy a good guitar or a good amp?I dont have enough money to spend for both.
Obviously go for the guitar first, so you can practise with it, then get the amp.
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
At the price your looking at you will need to try out several, because QC tends to vary at that price.
Go to a store and start trying them all out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ what types of music do you play? what's your overall budget? i mean teh price of that guitar would buy you a pretty decent guitar and an amp, depending on what music you're going to play.

i'd also be a bit wary going for something which is b-stock when you're only starting. there might be next-to-nothing wrong with the guitar, or it might be something major, and as a beginner you're not likely to be that well-equipped to tell teh difference.

Quote by pankar94

in general, humbuckers are better for heavier music, and single coils are better for lighter. But there's a fair bit of overlap, and some exceptions (jazz tends to use humbuckers, for example).

on a first guitar having both would be a pretty good idea so you have teh option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont want to give over 300€ fa guitar.i want a good cheap guitar.i am between a squier affinity strat,epiphone explorer gt and epiphone les paul 100.i like rock hard rock and blues-rock(jimi hendrix).which guitar is better for these gernes?
Look for a used Epiphone LP standard, or a Squier Classic vibe strat( for more Jimi tones)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look for a used Epiphone LP standard, or a Squier Classic vibe strat( for more Jimi tones)

What's the difference between squier vibe strat 50s and 60s?
Quote by pankar94
What's the difference between squier vibe strat 50s and 60s?

one is modeled after the 50's style strat the other the 60's era. I think the main diff is neck profile, but I have not had much experiance with them to tell all the diff.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by pankar94
I dont want to give over 300€ fa guitar.i want a good cheap guitar.i am between a squier affinity strat,epiphone explorer gt and epiphone les paul 100.i like rock hard rock and blues-rock(jimi hendrix).which guitar is better for these gernes?

ideally for those you'd want both single coils and humbuckers- hendrix is a strat (mainly), but for teh heavier stuff you'd want a humbucker.

how about a yamaha pacifica 112v?

EDIT: what country are you in, out of interest? in case i can think of better local options (no guarantee, i might not be able to think of any )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You said that you have 300 to spend ? Then I would look into getting a used Squier Standard ( no Infinity or Bullet ) Stratocaster or Telecaster , and a Fender Frontman 25 R amp. The amp goes for $99.99 U.S. new and is rated at 25 watts and is , one of the if not, the best practice amp that you can get for that price . It has the best clean tone that you'll ever hear and the Gain channel on it, is well suited for Blues & Classic Rock and it's also suited for small gigs as well. The Squier Standard Series of guitars generally go for $230.00 U.S. brand new, but usually you can find one used for around $ 150.00 or so. They are IMO, one of the best guitars in that price range for the buck and I do suggest that you have a setup done when you get one. With proper care, they will last you a lifetime and are great sounding guitars .
1. Fender amps don't have any versatility for different kind of music.
2. Squier has nothing to do with any metal or hard rock.
3. Squier is the shittiest work of fender, if you're going for fender, at least by mexican standard.
4.LTD is cheap, it has lots of shapes, and ideal for metal. It is what you are looking for.
5. Btw don't buy something that'll go to junk later as your starter guitar. Buy something which would last a long time.
Quote by cemges
1. Fender amps don't have any versatility for different kind of music.
2. Squier has nothing to do with any metal or hard rock.
3. Squier is the shittiest work of fender, if you're going for fender, at least by mexican standard.
4.LTD is cheap, it has lots of shapes, and ideal for metal. It is what you are looking for.
5. Btw don't buy something that'll go to junk later as your starter guitar. Buy something which would last a long time.

I want to play Hard Rock with my guitar, so i must not buy a squier, wright???
Well squier can't bare to that much distortion. So I recommend you buying a 2 humbucker guitar, or a hss, but not the fender ones because they are for soft kind of music. Ibanez Rg370DX , LTD M-100, or maybe a cort can be good guitars for you.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 1, 2012,
Quote by cemges
Well squier can't go enough heavy distortion, so a quitar with humbucker is better for you.

Should i pick a SG guitar???
SG LE G-400 Deluxe would be the one I'd recommend. But Les Paul standard or Les Paul traditional pro is also good. Traditional one uses Alnico II magnets, so it is a little softer, like slash's tone, standard one uses Alnico V magnets so it will have a better drive sound, and it is a good guitar. And as it doesn't use a tremolo, you will be able to use many kinds of different tunings without trouble. Get 0.10 gauge strings, they are very comfortable, wont hurt your hands and it will be easier to down tune.
Quote by pankar94
Is Epiphone SG G-400 good?

Yes they ar very nice budget guitars.
I own one that is the vintage brown ($299USD) and it is one of my main guitars I use. Thats saying quite a bit, when I also own a USA PRS.

But you still need to go try guitars for yourself I know people who swear by certain guitars, while I do not care for them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jeffo46
a Fender Frontman 25 R amp. The amp goes for $99.99 U.S. new and is rated at 25 watts and is , one of the if not, the best practice amp that you can get for that price . It has the best clean tone that you'll ever hear and the Gain channel on it, is well suited for Blues & Classic Rock and it's also suited for small gigs as well.

WTF!?
The frontman is not a very good amp at all. Just starting out a Modeling amp like Peavey Vypyr, Vox VT, Roland Cube, Fender Mustang would be yor best bet.

TS please disregard the retarded poster above.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2