Page 1 of 2
I just bought my first tube amp: a 15w Blues Jr. NOS combo with a Tubescreamer TS-9. I bought the overdrive pedal because I usually play with higher gain (ex. GnR, AC/DC, and other misc. bands like that). I got the Blues Jr. for around 480. I took it home and tried out the natural distortion. Since I play in a small room, I didn't turn the volume up past 2. With the preamp distortion on its fullest setting, the amp didn't provide much gain (nothing past AC/DC). I plugged in the TS-9 and I got something closer to what I wanted, but at the highest gain settings I noticed a lot of background noise and hiss when I wasn't playing. If I lifted my hand from muting the strings, there would be immediate feedback and a hiss that I'm sure is unhealthy for the tubes. I may be able to fix this as I have only been playing around with the amp for one day, but i was wondering if there were any other amps that might fit my style a little better. I don't care much for clean tones. As long as the amp has a great drive channel, I'm happy. I also prefer all tube, so no Valvetronix, Vypyrs, or Spiders. And, again, hopefully in the 500$ range. Oh, and I'd like to buy new. Should I just keep the Blues Jr. or find something else? I have until January 31st 2012 to decide.
***forgot to mention: it must be a combo amp
***wattage preferably on the lower side (nothing over 40, nothing under 10 or 15, preferably)
***I currently own an American Fender American Stratocaster (idk what year, but it's recent)

I've decided on the Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c. It's way out of my price range, but I'll just save up. Thanks everyone for the help!
Last edited by StratR96 at Jan 1, 2012,
I was gonna suggest a Peavey Valveking, but it's 50 watts. It suits the music you play quite well, and it's a great value for money. It doesn't need to be that loud for it to sound good, either. It may be a bit over your wattage, but check it out anyways, because it sounds great for you.
Jet City JCA 2112 combo with your ts-9 would work fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the quick reply!
I think I tried out a Valveking, but didn't go with it because the only model the store had was broken. I'll try that out. I did a little more searching and found the Vox AC15C1. It's 15 watts, around $480, and apparently the gain is pretty good. Anyone try this one? And how would it compare with the Blues Jr. NOS and Valveking?
Edit
@guy who suggested JCA 2112
I was hoping for an amp that can get high gain without the boost. That way I can reserve the pedal for really high gain pieces. But I'll be sure to check it out.
Last edited by StratR96 at Dec 31, 2011,
+1 on the JC20rc and TS9.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
+1 on the JC20rc and TS9.

+1

The Jet city is pretty gainy from what I experienced.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have a vox AC30 and I love it, but I wouldnt consider it a high gain amp at all. I play through the low ouput/top boost channel, mostly clean with a fulltone ocd in front with the drive turned up to about 3 o clock for when I want that. It sounds great but when you compare it to actual high gain amps, it doesn't have anything on them. Just my two cents there. I've never actually used an AC15 but I assume it'd be similar.

EDIT: actually have you thought of just grabbing a high gain pedal? I'd assume something like a wampler triple wreck would get you all the gain you want without having to drop 2000 on a mesa or something. I've never played the jet city though, it would be worth checking out.
GEAR:
Fender MIM Strat (all black everthing!)
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Power Chords and Downstrums
Last edited by ptregaskis at Dec 31, 2011,
@ptregaskis
Would a TS-9 not count as a high gain pedal?
And, since everyone seems to be suggesting the Jet City amp, how is the tone? I do care a lot about the amount of gain it can provide, but I also want a warm tone. Nothing tin-can-y or thin.
i wouldn't call a ts9 a high gain pedal.

boosting an amp with it can get the right amp there though.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by StratR96
@ptregaskis
Would a TS-9 not count as a high gain pedal?
And, since everyone seems to be suggesting the Jet City amp, how is the tone? I do care a lot about the amount of gain it can provide, but I also want a warm tone. Nothing tin-can-y or thin.

no it is a distortion pedal. most people use i as a boost pedal. Set gain very minimal adjust the tone and level to your liking, and use it to push the input signal on the amp.

You would set the gain of theamp to what you like, then use the ts9 to get a higer gain tone through the dirty ch of the amp (or clean which ever you prefer).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm.. Should I still keep the TS9? I heard it was a good pedal, and it seems to help my Blues Jr.
I'll definately look into the Jet City. Anyone have an opinion on the Bugera v22? I found it a while ago, but never got around to trying it out. It seems to have a good amount of gain available.

EDIT
Egnater Tweaker 112 15W?
Yes, the TS9 is a great pedal. The Bugera V22 is not a high gain amp.

Get a Peavey 6505+ 112. It's $100 over your budget but it will do everything you want. It's 60 watts, but that doesn't matter - it won't be THAT much louder than the Blues Junior, and it will do your metal a lot better.

If you really MUST have a low wattage metal amp (although I think that that's kind of an oxymoron) look at the JCA2212RC. It has the same lead circuit as the Soldano SLO 100, and the rhythm channel of the JCA20.

And if you want to play AC/DC and Guns n' Roses, get a guitar with a bridge humbucker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Dec 31, 2011,
I would also recommend a 6505+ 112 and also recommend keeping the TS9 it really helps bring out the beast in the amp.

I'm also selling a 6505+ 112 if you decide that's what you want.

Not trying to toot my own horn here but it seems like its absolutely the best direction for you to go.

Also check out the jet city. Their soldano "clones" and are quality amps if that's the tone you are looking for. They don't do death/ metalcore as well as the 6505+ but they can nail that 80's metal sound. especially with your TS9 as a boost.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Dec 31, 2011,
@Raijouta
I think I really like the 6505! Looks really big though. The only reason I was aiming for lower wattage was because I play in a bedroom, and I'm told that amps sound better cranked up a little. I'm concerned about the reviews for the 6505 tho, because they are mixed. Some have said it had "tasteless out of control distortion". Have you tried the amp? O, and I'm not concerned about the price. It's 600 new @ guitar center, and i can just use a coupon or promotion code.
Oh, and in case I was giving false impressions, I am not going for super heavy death metal. The heaviest I play is Metallica.
Well, in that case, the Jet City Amps JCA2212RC should do what you want.

I recommended the 6505 because a lot of people don't like their cleans (I think they're fine) but the distortion is great.

As far as mixed reviews go, tell that to the hundreds of metal bands that use them.

On wattage and volume, playing in a bedroom means something different to everybody. For me, it means I can put my 50 watt amp up to 4 or 5 without complaints, for other people it means they have to be whisper quiet or their mom/neighbors will get pissed.

60 watts isn't that much more than 15 watts, volume-wise. You need 10 times the wattage to be twice as loud. That said, every amp is different, and two amps at the same wattage may have different volumes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Get the 6505. It sounds fine at low volume. Sure it sounds better cranked a bit but it still sounds good. You want a metal amp, you need headroom.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
used JCM 800 1x12 4210?

Not sure how it compares to a 2203 though
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
used JCM 800 1x12 4210?

Not sure how it compares to a 2203 though

Not very well. 4103/4104 are the good JCM800 combos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bugera, that's all I gotta say
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
How about Marshall amps? I know they are usually on the more expensive side, but you can get a Haze MHZ40c for about $600. Does it have any good tones?
Well he did mention GNR and ACDC, so the 6505 might be a little overkill and maybe a little too dark/modern? Still give it a try and see. And like a couple people suggested, used jcm800 combo or a jet city combo. And I'll throw one more into the mix, a used carvin v3m. Keep the ts9!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
@Sleestak_bro
Again, I think I am being misunderstood. By high gain, I don't mean heavy metal. I mean a GnR type distortion level, maybe a little more, but nothing more than Metallica gain. I've listened to a couple Marshalls (such as the haze) and it sounds like enough to me. I just need an amp with more gain than a Blues Jr, which doesn't have much at all. Has anyone tried out the Haze? or any other Marshall tube combo under 650 (max).
Quote by StratR96
@Sleestak_bro
Again, I think I am being misunderstood. By high gain, I don't mean heavy metal. I mean a GnR type distortion level, maybe a little more, but nothing more than Metallica gain. I've listened to a couple Marshalls (such as the haze) and it sounds like enough to me. I just need an amp with more gain than a Blues Jr, which doesn't have much at all. Has anyone tried out the Haze? or any other Marshall tube combo under 650 (max).

Whoops, should've read the OP better. I have played a Haze, though, and it was pretty nice. With that TS-9, you should get all the gain you need.
Pretty nice? Forgetting about gain and distortion for a second, would you say the Haze has better tone than the 6505 or any of the above-mentioned amps?
Cool... any other tube combo Marshalls I should look out for? The Haze is the only one I found in in my price range.
The Marshall Haze/MA etc are horrible. Avoid.

The Blues Jr is a great little amp, but it's never going to work for you.

I'd suggest the Traynor YCV20 or Egnater Tweaker 15 (get the head and a used 1x12 cab, cheaper and more convenient).

The Bugera V22 wouldn't be bad either, a bit more if an American voice though.

I really do think the Traynor is prefect though. Two channels, great speaker, plenty of Marshally gain, spring reverb, DI output/silent headphone practice, well constructed (solid ply) and beautiful to look at. It's still mostly a clean/crunch amp like the Blues Jr, but the greenback speaker and separate channels make it much more suitable for rock.

Lowest I found it brand new was $519, no doubt less if you're willing to but second hand though. Though if you were buying used, the YCV50 Blue would be a much better choice, it's built for rock.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jan 1, 2012,
The Haze? Horrible? From what I've heard, it sounds really good. I'm not so sure about Traynor amps. They definately don't have them at the Guitar Centers that I've been to, so that kind of puts them out of reach.
I would recommend. Vintage modern with your ts9 but its 1k, and 50 watts
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
1k is way out of my price range. But I would definately get it if it wasn't.
Quote by StratR96
The Haze? Horrible? From what I've heard, it sounds really good. I'm not so sure about Traynor amps. They definately don't have them at the Guitar Centers that I've been to, so that kind of puts them out of reach.

Really? Never heard a truly good word about them. Didn't like what I heard much.
Either way, they're a pretty low-gain amp, not ideal for you.

Guitar Center seems to carry a fair bit of good used gear, do keep an eye out for anything that looks interesting. I think they stock Egnater too; I think you'll like the Tweaker.

If it's strictly for home use, a Blackstar HT5 head with a nice closed-back 1x12 cab would be a good option.
Well, I've listened to a few Youtube videos and the Haze sounds like a good amp. The Blackstar HT5 sounds good too, but i dont think 5 watts is enough. For now, I play strictly at home, but that may change in the next year or two and I don't want to have to spend more or something else. I'd rather get something that will keep me set for several years. If only there was a HT15/30 or something.... Shopping for amps under a tight budget is a pain D:
Quote by StratR96
Well, I've listened to a few Youtube videos and the Haze sounds like a good amp. The Blackstar HT5 sounds good too, but i dont think 5 watts is enough. For now, I play strictly at home, but that may change in the next year or two and I don't want to have to spend more or something else. I'd rather get something that will keep me set for several years. If only there was a HT15/30 or something.... Shopping for amps under a tight budget is a pain D:

HT20

But I don't like the HT series, so I would say not to get it, but that is just me.

If you like it go for it
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by StratR96
1k is way out of my price range. But I would definately get it if it wasn't.

and thats the beauty of second hand
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The Tweaker is a pretty decent amp, and has enough grunt to do the bands you want to play, especially with a boost. The Blackstar HT-20 will also do it very well, but there's a lot of dislike for the marketing practices of Blackstar on these boards.

I wasn't a fan of Jet City. I'm sure they're great for what they do but I didn't enjoy playing it, and the cleans were lacking.

One brand that hasn't been mentioned is Blackheart. They make good amps for decent prices, and they sound very Marshally (which is what you want for AC/DC and GnR). Look at the 15w combo they make, The Handsome Devil. Apparently they sound very similar to hotrodded 18w Marshalls, so definitely give them a look.
Quote by Dan_5893
One brand that hasn't been mentioned is Blackheart. They make good amps for decent prices, and they sound very Marshally (which is what you want for AC/DC and GnR). Look at the 15w combo they make, The Handsome Devil. Apparently they sound very similar to hotrodded 18w Marshalls, so definitely give them a look.

Yes Blackheart are very nice marshally amps. They sound much better than any Marshall amp in your price range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think I want to aim towards a Marshall tone.. Idk why, but the tone really grabs my attention. I even played an amp by them that was around $200 but I still loved it. What kind of prices should I expect for a used Vintage Modern? I doubt I'll get it around 600, though. Any other used Marshalls I should look out for?
Edit
Found one for 900, barely used on Ebay. Can't afford that yet though. Should I just wait a year to raise some more money? Keep in mind, I would say that I am in need of a new amp. I have a Spider IV 15w... it's terrible.
Edit..again
I've decided to get a job in the summer and buy the amp when I can.. I just have to survive half a year with a Spider...
Anyway, thanks everyone for the help! I really appreciate it.
Last edited by StratR96 at Jan 1, 2012,
Page 1 of 2