Hey UG,

As you know, OD is a tube amp characteristic sound. And OD pedals are used to push an amp faster into OD.

Do OD pedals actually have any effect on SS amps?

Thanks
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
An OD pedal can have two effects. It can a) add distortion to the signal (make a clean sound dirty or a dirty sound even dirtier) and it can b) boost the signal. Boosting the signal only really has any affect on a tube amp, but an OD pedal can still do the first thing on a solid state amp.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
i disagree. an OD can make a SS amp dirty if you use the gain. if you dont use the gain and upp the level, it will boost the signal with very minimal difference in tone.

with a tube amp typically on the dirty channel (depends on the amp confiuration) the OD can add a different tone if you use the gain on the pedal, but they key difference is that if you jack the level all the way up on the pedal, even with the gain at 0, the pedal will push the amp and drive it harder. there might be a minimal change in volume but the tonal change is huge and far more natural sounding.

the reason is because the output of the pedal itself is driving the preamp harder evne if you are not using the gain. its a natural tonal change, not a digtally produced effect. there is no way to do this with a SS amp.

there are a thousand different ways to get boosts, gain changes and tweak your knobs so its hard to talk in absolutes. what i am saying is with a solid state amp you are not actually OVERDRIVING anything. you are just changing the tone.

a tube amp physically can be overdriven with the right gain / output of a pedal
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by guitarsftw
An OD pedal can have two effects. It can a) add distortion to the signal (make a clean sound dirty or a dirty sound even dirtier) and it can b) boost the signal. Boosting the signal only really has any affect on a tube amp, but an OD pedal can still do the first thing on a solid state amp.

this.

using an overdrive pedal to boost the signal with a solid state amp is rarely a good way to do things although some can take it better than others, but often you find you just clip the input stage and mud up the sound with solid states, either that or if you're using the OD channel on the amp the two solid state gainstages can often work against each other and create a very messy tone. there are obviously some exceptions to this though, it really depends on how the amp is designed.

using the drive that an OD pedal can produce and having the pedal set at unity gain with your clean sound works pretty well with a solid state amp, though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I was asking cause when I engage my English Muff'n with my Vypyr it sounds amazing. Since the Muff'n is a Tube Overdrive I want to know what really happens to the Vypyr when it processes the signal. It sounds like REAL overdrive through it!
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Quote by guitarsftw

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It all depends on the amp
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
but what does the overdrive do to it? There's gotta be clipping, or isn't there?
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Quote by SupahStrat
but what does the overdrive do to it? There's gotta be clipping, or isn't there?

It all depends on what pedal you are using. A Boss OD1 is supposed to emulate a over driven tube amp at the output jack. All a SS amp would do is AMPLIFY this signal coming into it.
I think their newer tube stack pedal would be cool thru a ss amp.

Early on I used a RAT distortion pedal in front of a Lab Series L5 and that worked very well for a over driven amp sound. And later on until recent I used a Marshall 9000 ss preamp into the L5 and that sounded even cooler.
You just have to make sure you don't overdrive the front end of a ss amp too much (to cause unatural static sound) or you may damage the circuits.
What the hell!!!
I also have a Digitech RP7 with a tube in it, it works really well to get a natural tube overdrive sound since it has a real tube in it. And I have a RP1 that has many digital emulations of tube and digital overdrives and distortions. And again the only thing these do for a ss amp is give a signal for it to amplify. I find if you crank the output level too high(from a pedal or effect) into a ss amp it will always sounds like crap.
Tube amps can handle higher input levels, but still too much line input voltage into any amp is never a good idea. I usually start out by setting the volume levels(on the amp) with a dry (straight guitar) signal into the amp and then add the pedal and tweak the pedal settings till I get the sound I want.
What the hell!!!
Quote by SupahStrat

I used an OD (mxr zw od) on my flextone not for gain, but to tighten up the bass on gain channels by utilizing the tone control. Most people playing metal will use this trick
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It totally depends on which pedal and which amp you're talking about.

Run a MT-2 Metal Zone into a Marshall MG100DFX and you'll just get a shitload of hiss and a horrificly thin tone. It'll sound like a hummingbird using a dentist's drill.

Run a BD-2 Blues Driver and a DS-2 Turbo Distortion in to a Roland JC-120 and you've got Prince's rig, and he has one of the best lead tones ever.
It'll sound like a hummingbird using a dentist's drill.

OMG! That is exactly the tone I've been searching for so I can record "Flight of the Bumblebee"!

Thanks!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by SupahStrat

yeah most od pedals use clipping diodes so if you turn the gain up it'd work on a solid state

boosting would work too, except it'd just make it louder (whereas on a tube amp it generally makes it more distorted).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i kinda think that the ? should be will it work in the same manner as it does with a tube amp. the answer is pretty much no. sure an overdrive will give you some results when used with SS but it won't be the same as a tube amp. with solid state as already mentioned a booast will make it a little louder (which in theory is what you want) but it won't give you that sustain and added balls when used with tubes. when used for added distortion it will work but often the results aren't that pleasing and won't give you say a SRV style blues tone. if you have solid state and want distortion then use a distortion pedal on the clean channel. a D pedal can be used to up the distortion and gain on the drive channel of a SS amp but you really have to work with it so it doesn't result in mush.
your english muffin sounds amazing beccause its tube driven already. you are already getting that juicy tube tone from the pedal and the amp is just playing it back. i would pobably say that if you used it on a tube amp it would sound even better.

but i am generally reffering to cheaper digital ODs. i really dont think a blues driver into a solid state will do much for anybody. it will probably have 50% the expected result on a solid state than it will on a tube (because your not driving anything).

but yeah, a 200 dollar tub driven english muffin? sure. that will make a solid state sound good.
most cheaper ods are analogue, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?