Hi guys,

I'm trying to learn another song by Nevermore to force myself into better econo/alt picking. As contradictory as this sounds, I keep wanting to play the following bars using mainly downstrokes and only jumping into econo picking during the bar with no open strings being played:

My question is: Should I absolutely force myself to always econo pick the two C# notes, or is there ever a time where it's beneficial to downstroke instead? I can play it perfectly either way, but I'm just asking because I want to standardize technique.

Thanks!
Unless this riff is meant to be played insanely fast I would play it with all downpicking except 12-12, 10-10-9, 14-14-12, etc (alternate or economy here, use your favourite).
Quote by Poglia
Unless this riff is meant to be played insanely fast I would play it with all downpicking except 12-12, 10-10-9, 14-14-12, etc (alternate or economy here, use your favourite).

It's moderately fast, but not blazing by any means:

It starts at 0:18:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSA-0lBv3zM
It's quite possible to downpick that riff but if you have trouble with doing that you might want to consider doing downstokes on all the lower notes and upstrokes (or alternate picking as required) on the higher ones so all the palm muted notes end up being downpicked and all the non-PM ones aren't.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I really appreciate the responses everyone!

So what I'm learning is that it's more of a personal preference rather than a solid condition for pick motion/technique?
Quote by CV334
I really appreciate the responses everyone!

So what I'm learning is that it's more of a personal preference rather than a solid condition for pick motion/technique?

Yes, to a point. I mean, if you're playing this and you want to sound as close to the original as possible then the important part is having the aggressive downpicking sound on the lower palm muted notes since that's where it makes the most difference, in other riffs you may want to keep the downpicking consistent because there's large sections of palm muted notes or there's chords... you have to judge it on a case-by-case basis.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

What's important is choosing the right tools to get the sound you want. Generally -

Downpicking allows for aggressive, super precise muting/demuting.
Alternate picking is very rhythmically consistent and can sound very aggressive.
Economy picking generally sounds smoothest.
Learn to alternate. Once you have it, you'll only have to work half as much to play this. Then you can focus on musicality and not just playing all the notes in time
I'd play whatever's most comfortable it may be that you down pick some notes and alternate pick others to get the sound you want.
Quote by Shredworthy
Learn to alternate. Once you have it, you'll only have to work half as much to play this. Then you can focus on musicality and not just playing all the notes in time

AGREED. Dont make the mistake I made 4 or 5 years ago and just practice economy picking. Alternate picking, imo, makes one's technique 99999x more accurate and dynamic than economy picking