Whats up, i love my syn custom guitar, love everything about it. however i want to look into a new guitar. i want it to have a similar shape and a killer metal sound like this one has. i like the way the fretboard feels, and i like ebony fretboards.

i've been looking into schecter hellraiser avengers, which seem nice but i dont know too much about them.

also, i plan on adding a sustainiac neck pickup sustainer on this new guitar.

any advice, links to other guitars, etc would be appreciated,thanks!
hellraiser is probably more of a step sideways than a step up, i'd have thought (though i haven't tried either, but i've tried several other schecters).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Schecter ATX Is more of a step up. (Seymour Duncan Blackouts sounds better than EMG To my Ears)
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
BC Rich NJ Mockingbird?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i would assume the atx is a sidestep, too. i mean maybe you prefer blackouts (i haven't tried them), but the actual guitar is more important than the pickups when talking about an upgrade... you can put in whatever pickups you want once you have teh guitar. you can't upgrade to better quality wood and better manufacturing, lol.

i would assume that bc rich is a sidestep, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Schecter Synyster Custom, a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR, and a Schecter C-1 FR. The Synyster Custom is the least favorite... The pickups sound muddy and woofy. The body shape is really awkward and ugly. The finish and the OFR are the best features on the awful guitar. The neck feels really strange. The C-1 FR has awful pickups and a LFR... Change the pickups and block the FR and you have a better guitar than the Syn. The C-1 Hellraiser FR is a mile ahead of both combined. Trust me. Sell your guitar.
Quote by Greed18
The Schecter ATX Is more of a step up. (Seymour Duncan Blackouts sounds better than EMG To my Ears)

I like the Inlays, Binding, and Finish of the Hellraiser. Of course I like the feel of the neck, the sound and all that stuff. So Why buy a guitar for it's pickups?
Last edited by Fear The Abyss at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by Fear The Abyss
I like the Inlays, Binding, and Finish of the Hellraiser. Of course I like the feel of the neck, the sound and all that stuff. So Why buy a guitar for it's pickups?

Same here but you don't know what pick ups someone would prefer. The Hellraiser and ATX are basically the same aside from the pick ups, and fretboard wood.
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
Quote by Greed18
Same here but you don't know what pick ups someone would prefer. The Hellraiser and ATX are basically the same aside from the pick ups, and fretboard wood.

I like the Binding a quilted finish. If only the Hellraiser had an Ebony fretboard.
Why would you want to get another guitar almost exactly like the one you have? Are you gigging and looking for a good backup?

If you're a bedroom player, or maybe getting some songs together, I would offer a suggestion that maybe looking for a second guitar that will give you some more options might be beneficial to you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Get a more-that-6-strings guitar. Upgrade no matter how you look at it

Maybe thats just my regret of spending, when i had it, on a 6 string electric (first electric) and being unable to afford 7-string now.

Anyway, i tried Hellriser at the store, really nice guita.
What is your budget? Suggestions can vary greatly depebnding on how much dough you can spend, from <1000 to PRS
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Obviopusly the Syn guitar isn't doing it for you if you want another guitar that costs pretty much the same and does practically the same thing. TBH i don't blame you. I've played a Synister Custom. I wouldn't be seen dead with it. It was the most overpriced guitar i've ever played in my life.

I've tried a Blackjack ATX with blackouts. I didn't see what the fuss was all about. I actually think EMG's are better because they have a crispier attack and more present lead tones. Blackouts had a tendency to mud out too.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 31, 2011,
if you like your guitar that much (which i dont see why), then it sounds like u just want to spend money.

either look into an amp/effects upgrade or go to a guitar store and try DIFFERENT guitars.

why would u want 2 of the same guitars, you never know what your gonna like next
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
straight up, i want a new guitar so i dont look like a baby verison of syn. i also have a blackjack c-1 FR like mentioned above. nobody really helped, just keyboard jockies bashing...lol
you already have a synyster gates schecter, and a blackjack c1fr, and you don't consider that the people telling you not to buy another sidestep schecter were helping you?

oh boy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know what the Syn Custom bashing is about, but it's a swell guitar to play. As far as not looking like a groupie when you're leaving the house with it, I completely get it!! lol

The Synyster Special is the same guitar, without the stripe and inlays. Looks insanely good and plays like a dream. Comes in black or white. The Avengers are sick, but I have a thing for set/ neck-through, so only Hellraiser would do for me. There is talk of a SLS Avenger for some time this year... Which would definately be an amazing thing!

If you want a ''step up'', look into Jacksons(high end Soloist) or ESP. But you will have to shell out more money in most cases and you will never find the same-ish shape.
I don't like the ubercustomized look of the Syn Custom, But I would grab a Syn Special anyday.
Blackjack ATX Avenger sounds nice too.