I actually got this beauty in November, but I haven't gotten the chance to post pics...

Cost me $1200 tax-in...the neck on this thing is amazing...

Yup, that's a one-piece Honduran Mahogany body, and one-piece neck, and a Brazillian Rosewood board...weights 6.79 pounds...and just look at the fret access! Loving it...all original.

Neck is 0.85" thick at the 1st fret, and 0.98" at the 12th (yup, that's 1 inch thick). Nice and fat
Nut width is 1-11/16".
Body is only 1-5/8" thick! Very comfortable!
Two Gibson Lap Steel pickups (Yes they're original, that's what Gibson used in the original Melody Makers) with readings of 7.27K (Bridge) and 7.15K (Neck).
250K pots, .022µfd caps on the tone pots.
Kluson "No-Name" tuners.
Gibson Wraparound Compensated bridge (Compensated for a Wound G)

Goes from twangy Tele/Strat tones to pretty fat humbucker tones with the tone pot on about 3-6. Very articulate. Neck pickup really nails the "Clapton" tones. In-between position is wired in Series rather than Parallel; gives some nice warm humbucker-esque tones. Overall amazing guitar, Definitely worth the dough.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Last edited by RockinSince1993 at Dec 31, 2011,
Lol yeah, still smooth as ever though
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
damn. i wouldnt play something that vintage. im surprised its not worht more if its original. i guess melody makers just dont bring in what the les pauls do (and it does have some dings it looks like).
I didn't buy it for resale value, or to put in in a display case. I bought it because it's a nice resonant one-piece old growth mahogany body, a wonderful neck and exactly the tone I've been searching for. Yeah it's dinged up, but that just adds character. It IS 47/48 years old remember. Alas, it's a student model. And it never got as much use by famous artists as the Les Paul Jr. it replaced.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Very nice! I had a 68' 12-string melody maker a few years back. Mine was SG-shaped though.

Fun guitars, the neck looks exactly like mine!

Wish I never sold mine...

HNGD brother
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
They're definitely one of the "hidden gems" of Gibson.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
very nice guitar indeed

i almost bought a single pickup 1965 melody maker a couple of years ago but alas somebody got there before i could scrape the money together

it was a beautiful guitar though, so much so that i couldn't help but smile every for every second that i was holding it. I hope to find another one that has that effect on me someday
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Was it the SG style or the LP style? They switched to the SG style in '65.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Quote by RockinSince1993
Was it the SG style or the LP style? They switched to the SG style in '65.

same shape/style as yours. i managed to find a photo of the actual guitar

the cherry finish looked a lot more faded 'in the flesh'. but still - great guitar. it might've been a '64, the shop it was in don't always get the year exactly right
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Beauty...Although personally, I prefer the extra pickup. The neck pickup on mine is So sweet. This one looks to be in Much better shape than mine though.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
HNGD man!
Forgive my ignorance but I'm at a loss to figure out how you would adjust the intonation on it with that bridge.
There are two little adjustment screws on either end of the bridge, on the back. It doesn't have individual adjustable saddles, but you can angle the bridge to get approximate intonation. Even so, the intonation is spot-on up until about the 17th fret. But honestly I don't spend that much time up there.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals