Hello

I'm after a more richer sounding overdrive tone than what I have currently. What I have at the moment is perfectly fine, I just want something that sounds thicker than what my amp can offer. So, would I be able to take an overdrive pedal like a Bad Monkey and put it in front of the amp and have it function as it should? I'm not entirely sure if this will work due to it being a modelling amp.

Assuming this will all work, what pedals would you recommend for under £50 or so? I've got my eye on a Digitech Bad Monkey, but I've heard good things about some Boss pedals. I'm after a nice, thick overdrive tone, a bit like what Slash has. Don't bother linking me to any auctions/websites as I don't plan on buying any pedals for at least a month or two.

I have a Peavey Vypyr 30 with a Fender Mustang Special and I live in UK.
I have a bad monkey that I hook up to my Fender Mustang V modeling amp and it sounds really kick ass, it gives some serious power and sound that the on-board amp overdrives just cant touch. I'm not exactly sure how it sounds on a peavey but it shouldn't disappoint! I seriously recommend it!
Don't waste your money. I wouldn't bother running any kind of pedal into a modelling amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Don't waste your money. I wouldn't bother running any kind of pedal into a modelling amp

That`s a bit of a sweeping statement: I run a wah-wah and delay pedal into my practice amp, a line6 Spider 4 15w and it works a treat. However, pedals which add more distortion would probably sound hideous...
Quote by Guitarbaddie

You can run pedals through the clean channel and still get some pretty decent sound. In fact, that's how I've run ALL of my amps, not just the modeler (an old Cube 30x, long ago).
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
I'll never understand running pedals into an amp that is close to, the same price, or cheaper than the amp.

IMO TS, just save up for a new amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie

Do you have any experience of modelling amps?
it'll work okay on the clean channel, will sound like crap onany of the distorted models though
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I run a Bad Monkey into a Vypyr 15, and I think it sounds just fine. I mainly just use it as a boost on top of the amp distortion (usually the Plexi channel, but I've started liking the Brit), volume all the way up and gain all the way down. I really like the dual eq, as opposed to the single eq on a real tubescreamer and the fixed eq on the model.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
Quote by deano_l
Do you have any experience of modelling amps?

Nope, completely talking out of my ass.

Run a cheap pedal into a cheap amp that already has OD.

While you're at it, buy more pedals, get a 1k pedal board, and a 1k guitar, and just keep the 200 dollar amp. Toanz for days man.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I think I'll save the money for one of the little Blackstar valve amps that are out. My mate got a HT5 and it sounds incredible lol. I wont be getting an amp for quite some time as I've not actually had this amp long, but I'm starting to get a bit tired with how 'artificial' it sounds... Still a cracking amp though. Thanks for the help.
^ man don't do that

The HT series is not that great. I'd recommend a Vypyr 60 with power tubes.

Quote by Guitarbaddie

It really depends on the amp.

I just posted this in another thread:

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
romeo - you might find this interesting since we both have a Vypyr. The other day I did a little test of some of my pedals (delay, wah, phaser, OD) into the front end of my Vypyr to see what would happen and I was somewhat surprised by the results. The phaser sounded a bit muddy but the rest of the pedals, including the OD, sounded pretty good.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play1070203
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ man don't do that

The HT series is not that great. I'd recommend a Vypyr 60 with power tubes.

It really depends on the amp.

I just posted this in another thread:

Yeah I know, I saw it, just doesn't make since to me to put money into pedals into an amp that has all those effects already.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
ive done it. i do like the boss OS-2, especially for a practice setup. that and an EQ together? you can pull off just about any sound in the bedroom from clasic rock to heavy metal. i would get a very versatile pedal with vary degrees of overdrive sounds and distortion sounds.

sometimes higher gain will not sound right without the EQ. the cheapo gain pedal cant do it by itself. with the right EQ setting, it adds that hard hitting, deep, semi scooped sound that really emphasizes the distortion. it makes the pedal go from "meh" to "oh damn".

i pretty much hate every other boss gain pedal.

OD - i do not find an OD into a solid state effective. it sounds funny and isnt "overdriving" anything. it just sounds dull. i found myself just pumping a distortion into my modeling amp with varying degrees of intensity.

i find ODs in tube amps awesome. its the sound you want, but it comes naturally and the OD actually overdrives the amp.
Uhh, for the most part if going to sound pretty rough for reasons already stated. If you must, zero gain, and slowly mix volume in to achieve the desired boost effect.

Honestly, I would just save my money and wait to get a better amp with more adequate gain, and possibly put a boost in front of that

EDIT:
Quote by ikey_
OD - i do not find an OD into a solid state effective. it sounds funny and isnt "overdriving" anything. it just sounds dull. i found myself just pumping a distortion into my modeling amp with varying degrees of intensity.

This. Completely.
NOPE
Last edited by Nakon14 at Jan 2, 2012,