I've narrowed it down to 2 Guitars:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-USA-Fender-Artist-John-Mayer-Stratocaster-Strat-Sunburst-Rosewood-Mint-Mint-/270884612034?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f11fb27c2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDWARDS-ESP-CRYING-STAR-E-CS-140-Classic-Galneryus-Syu-Signature-Model-/280767320017?pt=Guitar&hash=item415f094fd1

I love playing Blues and Metal, but I just can't decide between these two. . .
The Strat can't get into Heavy territories, the ESP can, but it has only one single coil, which limits it. . .
Design wise, I love star shaped stuff, so it might be wise to get the star.
What do you think UG?
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
Strats most certainly can do heavy stuff. Even better with a pickup change. And your budget is pretty high, so you could afford it.
These threads aren't really allowed. If you want we can recommend you guitars, or you can buy whatever.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'd go for the star if I found the design attractive. I couldn't imagine myself playing metal with a John Mayer Stratocaster, but I could imagine myself playing blues with a guitar that has 2 humbuckers.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
I'd go for the star if I found the design attractive. I couldn't imagine myself playing metal with a John Mayer Stratocaster, but I could imagine myself playing blues with a guitar that has 2 humbuckers.

Yea. . .
You made me see, I now know what I will purchase, thank you!
Quote by Cruel Angel
Yea. . .
You made me see, I now know what I will purchase, thank you!

You're welcome.
It's just that all blues players do not use Fenders. Some use Gibsons, with two humbuckers, for example.
And I think that the Edwards also has pretty versatile pickups.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Dec 31, 2011,
You can always split humbuckers.

Of course you can get stacked singles too.
Based on your other post, I thought you were set to buy both guitars...

The pups will work fine for blues, but wouldn't you want a tremolo for blues?

I mean, sometimes I just leave the bar off my Strats and bend the neck, but I also have mahogany-necked guitars like the LTD, and those necks just don't bend like a maple Strat neck...

Sure, that signature guitar will have nice pups, be made of nice wood, and have a distinctive neck, but it's still basically like an MIM Strat with its 21 frets and 6 point trem. Worst of all is the pain in the butt vintage style truss rod that you have to remove the pick guard to adjust.

You'd be better off with a Squier Vibe. You can put those same pickups in it and it will be hard to hear the difference. If you want a nice Strat, then get an American Standard or an American Deluxe.

Edit: Other thread, not other post...
Last edited by jetwash69 at Dec 31, 2011,
They really are two fairly different guitars. TS is being silly.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
They really are two fairly different guitars. TS is being silly.

I can only afford one.
I want it to play Metal and Blues.
That's why I came here.
But I've decided already I'll buy the Crying Star, it's much cooler, and it can pack up some really sexy Metal and some decent Blues, while the strat can do sexy Blues but mediocre metal.
I bought an MIA Strat in SSS as my first guitar to play blues and metal. Hey, Malmsteen and Maiden use Strats, right?

Well, the Strat does great except the pups aren't that aggressive, you can't hit the high notes, and dive bombs are pathetic without a Floyd. So now my travel Strat (a Squier Affinity) has HH pups and I have 3 other guitars with Floyds, mainly for the different tunings (and other reasons, too).

What are you playing now?
Quote by Cruel Angel
I've narrowed it down to 2 Guitars:
the ESP can, but it has only one single coil, which limits it. . .

FYI, that esp doesn't have a single coil. What you're seeing is the piece where you can change intonation running into the end of the bridge. I don't remember the technical names, but it's just got the two humbuckers.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
FYI, that esp doesn't have a single coil. What you're seeing is the piece where you can change intonation running into the end of the bridge. I don't remember the technical names, but it's just got the two humbuckers.

The same guitar exists with the single coil and the humbucker, the pic is wrong.
Which one feels better in your hands?

=/

I only think C necks are alright.
Quote by Cruel Angel
The same guitar exists with the single coil and the humbucker, the pic is wrong.

Ah, that makes sense. I would get the dual hubucker and put in splittable pickups then.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Don't buy either of them. Go and try them first, especially when you're unsure as to what either guitar is capable of.
Quote by BigSmokeDawg
Don't buy either of them. Go and try them first, especially when you're unsure as to what either guitar is capable of.

That ain't easy when you live in México. . .