Whatever, i am saving up money to buy one of these beasts. i know it's very versatile amps. from cleans, to crunch, and heard it do metal well too. thunder is cheaper than screamer, but screamer has more options, channels to switch. i am saving to this, but is there anyone who own these amps... is it possible to mod them later, that you have different power options settings like 50, 30, and 15 watts? how could i do that, and how much does it cost that mod? also i had a question about metal sound, is it enough of balls on these thunder or screamer or is it requiered to use some hi gain drive pedal? i play heavy / thrash metal ! thanks !
The pick of destiny...
Last edited by Sabbath_84 at Dec 31, 2011,
i haven't tried the thunder, but almost everyone i've talked to who had tried both seemed to think that the screamer was worth the extra.

screamer has a fair bit of gain, though an overdrive pedal (e.g. tubescreamer or clone) to use as a boost wouldn't hurt (most people even with metal-ready amps use an od as a boost anyway, a lot of people think it sounds better than just using the amp alone). EDIT: what do you mean by heavy/thrash metal? if you mean nwobhm like iron maiden and 80s thrash like megadeth, then it easily has enough gain for those. though as i said, an od never hurt anyone.

i'm no electronics expert, but i'm guessing the screamer is reasonably complex inside, and as far as i'm aware it's pcb based. That doesn't mean it's impossible to mod, but it does mean it's probably not the absolute easiest amp to mod, either. if you don't know what you're doing you'd probably have to get a tech to do it for you (lethal voltages live inside valve amps even when they're turned off, so it's the kind of thing you don't want to be messing with if you don't know what you're doing).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 1, 2012,
Screamer.

Thunder is like ENGLs Valveking. It's ok, but compared to the Screamer its very lack luster.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The Screamer can do most gain-y stuff without too much difficulty, but a boost will really help tighten it up if you want a more modern tone.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
screamer is great, ive had one any my brother has one now, a bit vintage voiced so its great for rock up to classic metal, and the cleans are also good and a plus is that you wont need a reverb pedal, works really nice with a TS boost for thoses metal tones, and there not any amp that can beat it at low volumes that ive heard so far. So no need for lower wattage than it is
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

that's a good point. it's debatable if there's any point in modding it for lower wattages, anyway. especially if you're using it for metal tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sabbath_84
Whatever, i am saving up money to buy one of these beasts. i know it's very versatile amps. from cleans, to crunch, and heard it do metal well too. thunder is cheaper than screamer, but screamer has more options, channels to switch. i am saving to this, but is there anyone who own these amps... is it possible to mod them later, that you have different power options settings like 50, 30, and 15 watts? how could i do that, and how much does it cost that mod? also i had a question about metal sound, is it enough of balls on these thunder or screamer or is it requiered to use some hi gain drive pedal? i play heavy / thrash metal ! thanks !

You might be able to add something like power scaling, but that depends on how much space is free in the chassis (or whether you want to add an extra box with lots of wires running in/out of it.) As you're talking about 50watters I expect the output sections are based on 2 power tubes meaning you can't simply pull tubes to reduce the wattage (well, you could but it's not exactly recommended!)

Your best option would be to build a 3 stage attenuator, they're not particularly hard to make and you wouldn't have to mess around inside the amp chassis. Technically you're not reducing the wattage, but whatever.

As for Screamer Vs Thunder... It's Screamer for me everytime but I'm hardly the go to man in terms of metal.

(FAKE EDIT: You could of course buy yourself an attenuator and save yourself the trouble of making one but it's up to you)
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
ENGLs sound great at lower volumes so you really won't need to mod it.

If you have to be that quiet buy a POD or something to that effect.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Having owned a Screamer 50 combo for 2-3 years before selling it for a 5150, I can easily describe the amp for you.

I actually miss it's clean/crunch channel since the 5150 is pretty much a one trick pony, the ENGL Screamer was awesome for all kinds of music, but it kinda lacked the "ballcrushing br00tz death metal" tone for me, so thats why I've moved on to a 5150. Plus I like the trademark 5150 tone, well that's actually the main reason why I've moved on.

With a tubescreamer like boost, you can definitely get modern era metal tones very easily, and if you use it with a nice boomy 4x12 cabinet, it will definitely suit you for any kinda tone.

It is a bit too bright though, hence the name Screamer, so I ran my treble and lead presence settings pretty low compared to other amps. I've also used mine with a THD Hotplate, and while it's pretty damn good at low bedroom levels (just like most ENGL's are), when cranked, its much better, but an attenuator is not a must in my opinion. It does have the trademark ENGL vibe to it, but a little bit more 80's voiced in comparison to the other ENGL amps, but the nicest thing to its lead channel is that it is VERY tight and articulate, be it single notes or complex chords, though you can easily hear your mistakes while playing, so keep that in mind, which is something I don't really experience with my 5150.

Plus the spring reverb is pretty nice, it also has a nice effects loop and frequency compensated line out, you can easily use it for recordings. The footswitch used for channel switching is very expensive though, but totally worth it.

I won't even mention Thunder here, one of the fellas said it's like Peavey's Valveking, and I vouch for that, go get the Screamer if you have the chance, you won't regret it.

I personally think that it's the best all-around-bang-for-buck combo tube amp at the moment, it is not the best at what it does, but it does all of them pretty good.

EDIT: You mentioned that you play heavy/thrash metal, you won't even need a boost imo.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*