I tried installing an SH-4 SD into a PRS SE and was completely unsuccessful. I used black as the lead and bare+green as the ground. Black went to the opposing side of the switch from the neck lead and bare+green went to the back of the volume pot. I tried switching black/green I tried grounding to the original position that the stock bridge pick up was grounded. Nothing works. I get a very weak output from the SH-4.

I am so confused and discouraged. I have never had this much difficulty installing a pick up before. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
It sounds like you wired it correctly. Black is your lead wire. Green and bare go to ground. Red and white wire together and are taped off unless you are coil splitting. You could try wiring the black lead directly to the tip lug of the output jack and leaving the green/bare going to ground. If you don't get a good signal that way, then I'd say you have a bad pickup. If it does get a good signal then the problem is somewhere else in the signal path. Is there any chance the switch may have been damaged?
Last edited by poppameth at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by poppameth
It sounds like you wired it correctly. Black is your lead wire. Green and bare go to ground. Red and white wire together and are taped off unless you are coil splitting. You could try wiring the black lead directly to the tip lug of the output jack and leaving the green/bare going to ground. If you don't get a good signal that way, then I'd say you have a bad pickup. If it does get a good signal then the problem is somewhere else in the signal path. Is there any chance the switch may have been damaged?

I will try wiring it directing to the jack. I don't believe the switch is damaged. The other pick up functions flawlessly.