Hey, I'm having a problem, I am writing a solo over E, B,
E, B, A, G, How can I play a minor sounding solo over these chords? Thanks
Start with an E minor pentatonic, B minor would work too for some variation.
Are they all major chords, in that order? Or are they power chords.

If they're power chords, the key would be E minor anyway and you just play E minor over all.

If they're all major chords, it's in the key of E major, G major being borrowed from the relative minor.

As said above, you could use the E minor pentatonic scale. As the key is E major you won't be playing the B minor if you tried. The notes of B minor resolved to E, in the key of E major would result in an E major scale with b3, b7 and b6 accidentals.

In the end "minor sounding solo" in a major key? Not really going to work. The b3/7 will simply result in a "bluesy" sound. However if you're simply talking about "sad sounding", that's up to you and how you use the notes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
can someone explain what "minor sounding" actually is? i'm sure you mean something sad, but...that has nothing to do with the quality of key, and would lie a lot more in the harmony than the melody anyway.
modes are a social construct
Quote by mr-curley
Sorry, I meant B minor pentatonic, just try it.

E major scale with a b7. I hope you understand. B minor resolves to B. In the key of E major it resolves to E. Notes of B minor pentatonic in key of E major result in E major scale with b7.
Soundcloud
Quote by Zanon
^ E mixoly.... Nevermind

Yes it could be called the E mixolydian scale, just like how an additional flattened 3rd and flat 5 could be the E blues scale.
Soundcloud
B minor pentatonic = B D E F# A

There's no G# so it's not E major, it's just the E minor pentatonic with the 9 instead of the flat 3, worth a try for some variation along with the E minor pentatonic (read my first post) but it is most definitely not E major or E mixolydian.
Quote by mr-curley
B minor pentatonic = B D E F# A

There's no G# so it's not E major, it's just the E minor pentatonic with the 9 instead of the flat 3, worth a try for some variation along with the E minor pentatonic (read my first post) but it is most definitely not E major or E mixolydian.

Scale with the 9th eh? You sure about that one?

Mate, in the key of E major EVERYTHING is going to be a variation of E major. It is more E mixolydian than B minor. You don't need to use all the notes...it's just basic fundamentals when dealing with keys.

Anyway, how are you going to resolve the key of E major to B? I'm curious to know.
Soundcloud
Stress less princess, I'm just trying to answer the guys question.

He asked about playing a minor solo over major chords, happens all the time in the blues and it's done by playing an E minor pentatonic over the major chord - easy. Maybe you could play C# minor pentatonic but that would just sound like an E major pentatonic and not sound minor at all.

The B minor pentatonic is very similar to the Em pentatonic, only one note different, the 9 (you can call it the 2 if you like but generally most musicians will call it the 9, and Bm pent. does have the b7). So just for some variation you play the same old shapes in a different position and it can sound cool, have you tried it yet?

The question had nothing to do with resolving to anything and B minor pentatonic is not the same as E major, with or without a flat 7, and whether or not B minor resolves to B, or E or anything else is irrelevant to the original question, and if you want to be picky about it B minor doesn't resolve to anything it doesn't have a tritone, B7 resolves to E.
Lol at stress less princess. The scale you are playing is E major with a b7. Call it what you must. The C# minor pentatonic would be the notes of the E major penatonic over the key of E major. it would be the E major pentatonic scale, not C# minor pentatonic.

Is it possible that you relate scales to fret positions or shapes, rather than their notes and resolution of a key? It would explain why you're not understanding my point.

Or maybe you don't understand that a key has a constant resolution? One that can't be changed by playing fiddly stuff on the top of it?
Soundcloud
Quote by mr-curley
I give up, someone else want this one?

Sure. If you're talking about CST then yes Bm pentatonic will work over the B chord.

Interestingly enough, the associated minor pentatonic scales with the IV and biii chords don't work in that progression.
Last edited by mdc at Jan 2, 2012,