so far i have Am to em to F barre and i am looking for a fourth chord to finish the progression i was thinking something higher pitched but i can't think of anything a d is to high pitched.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
C if you want to do it in one chord.

If you don't mind using two chords, E to Am works better imo
Last edited by d1sturbed4eva at Dec 31, 2011,
Am X02210
Em/B X22000
F/C X33211
Dm/A X00231

It's one of those i v VI iv things.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
With one chord:

Am Em F G

Am Em F Ebmin(b5). Stretches the boundaries, sounds nice to my ears!

Am Em F Cmin11

With two chords to finish:

Am Em F Bb Gsus4

Am Em F G9 Dmin9

Am Em F A(maj) Emin7

Hope this gives you a few ideas to work with

Am Em F
Quote by Cloudkicker
so far i have Am to em to F barre and i am looking for a fourth chord to finish the progression i was thinking something higher pitched but i can't think of anything a d is to high pitched.

Play your progression. Stop. Listen. What do you want to hear there?

Try to find that chord on your guitar. This may take a significant amount of trial and error as you're getting started.

Don't try to "think of" something. Listen to the music in your head, and try to find it on the guitar.

You say you can't think of anything higher than an F save a D? Really? Use your brain! F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C# ... all those chords will feel like they're rising in pitch coming off a barred F. And your really can't think of anything?
i would personally say use a Diminished chord to pull back to the Am , but that's me , i like trying different things.
There's enough bands out there playing correctly ; we don't need another band playing exactly the same as everyone else ; we need people to do things that are weird - King Buzzo
Your dim7 chord options would be rooted on any of F, Ab, B and D. They all work, and they're derived from the tritone sub of E7, the V of i.
-------
-5-5-6-6
-5-7---7
-5-5-7-6
-------
-5-7-8-7

i - vc - VIc - iidim
-10-8-10-9-5
-9--9-10-7-5
-10-9-10-9-7
-0----8--8-7
----0----

i - v - VI - vidim - ic
Last edited by mdc at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by MetalCommand
Any chord can be higher or lower pitched depending on how you voice it.

What I came in to say.