Alright, so I've been saving up for a rack system and have bee thinking maybe I should save up for a new guitar after this because it'll be a case of middle end guitar (N.J. Series Warlock) and high end rack.

I like the idea of the rich bich because it seems pretty versatile, like I heard things like it has a switch that splits the hummbucker pickup into a single coil and stuff. Also Dave Mustaine used it on his peace sells album which is one of my favorites.

However, digging into it a bit more I've found that it's more of a middle-ish guitar or higher beginner guitar, and is pretty cheap actually (made out of Nato which is what my warlock is currently made out of). Also I modded the **** out of my warlock so it'll be pretty damn versatile when I'm done with it but I'm not sure if mods will suffice considering I always hear that "You can't polish off a turd" line a million times.

Mods: Active pickup for bridge (Seymour duncan blackout ahb-2), stock hummbuckers for neck, 2 tone pots and 2 volume pots, no switch because the tone pots will work as a push pull switch to activate the jumper switch and the other will work as the button that switches between pickups, and it has a kill switch.

Should I just stick with my warlock which is pretty much equivalent to a b.c. rich bich which is what I was thinking of getting, or would it be smarter to upgrade to something better.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 31, 2011,
Sidesteps aren't really worth it unless your what from what your sidestepping from. Also, don't limit urself to just BC rich but also look into te mockingbird cause they're damn sexy.

What's ur price range

What does versatility mean to you
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
Sidesteps aren't really worth it unless your what from what your sidestepping from. Also, don't limit urself to just BC rich but also look into te mockingbird cause they're damn sexy.

What's ur price range

What does versatility mean to you

Yeah, I was thinking of looking into jacksons to. I really wasn't trying to get around buying a new guitar, I just got kind of swept up in the modding thing. Then I was thinking maybe I should get a new guitar, and thought of the rich bich because it's what Megadeth used on their first 2 albums (my favorite megadeth albums) and it seemed pretty versatile, and I recently found out it's pretty much equivalent to my warlock.

I'd say less than 1,500 I can probably stretch it a bit if theres something that really catches my eye.

For versatility I want to be able to play more melodic stuff, but not really 100% clean. I want a tone that can either make the melodies really shine, or sound really sinister. I also like to play thrash and speed metal, but I'm sort of getting sick of the 1 sound fits all things a lot of thrash bands do. For example: Like how every single song on reign in blood sounds almost identical tone wise. Kreator also is kind of bad with it. I also like to play all across the rock genre, like things from dead kennedies to pink floyd.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 1, 2012,
les paul sounds about right

*EDIT* unless your really looking for a shredder, though les pauls can do that too
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I'd say less than 1,500 I can probably stretch it a bit if theres something that really catches my eye.

At that price, you're starting to get into entry-level premium major manufacturer guitars and certain custom/customizable guitars from smaller builders. Carvin has many in-stock guitars under that. The luthier I buy from (Jon Kammerer) has standard models stating at $995, full customs just over $2K.

So take your time and really do your research.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Split your money into a nice amp and a nice guitar. Saving up for a nicer guitar/effects is a waste if you're planning on playing through a microcube.
Quote by Strats&Cats
Split your money into a nice amp and a nice guitar. Saving up for a nicer guitar/effects is a waste if you're planning on playing through a microcube.

I'm getting a rack system.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I'm getting a rack system.

Derp?
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Used PRS Standard 24

and that should be the end of this thread.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
PRS are way over priced people, why would a guitar maker make a $3500 guitar and put a fixed hardtail bridge on it that you CANNOT adj intonation on???....serious...check that out. A lot of their stuff is built that way.

Higher end BC Riches are good but you always need to play a guitar before you buy it. I have a Mockingbird special that kicks ass over any Gibson/EPI Les Paul I have ever played.

You can get a really good Bich for $1000-1500 but just find a BCR dealer and play some. Because you could have two that look identical but sound totally different which is the case for any guitar. And BCR has many other cool shapes.
I have 2 Bichz and like both for different reasons.

I would stay away from NJ series ...overpriced.... every one I have played has sounded thin. But that could be just my luck.
What the hell!!!
For $1500 you could get a Schecter that would kill any PRS or most anything else.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
PRS are way over priced people, why would a guitar maker make a $3500 guitar and put a fixed hardtail bridge on it that you CANNOT adj intonation on???....serious...check that out. A lot of their stuff is built that way.

I'm pretty sure most of their newer models have the wraparound that allows you to adjust intonation.

And you obviously haven't tried a $3500 PRS. Well, to be honest...neither have I but the custom 24 I tried was def worth the $2000 price tag. Nothing cheaper will get you the same feel and sound.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by danvwman

You Can adjust the intonation. Like virtually All wraparound bridge/tailpieces, the PRS bridges have two little screws on either end at the back, which are used to angle the bridge. I have a similar bridge on my Gibson Melody Maker (1964) and my guitar tech was able to achieve near perfect intonation (up until about the 17th fret, but even then it's only noticeable with a fine tuner). And that's on a guitar made in '64 (when the tolerances on bridge placement/fret placement were much higher). On a new, production instrument (where fret/bridge placement is computer controlled), perfect intonation would be as easy to achieve as any other bridge.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Quote by danvwman
For $1500 you could get a Schecter that would kill any PRS or most anything else.

Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Sigh, I think we should have rules againist such nonsense as "brand x kills brand y at half the price", opinion opinion. Just play what you like and accept people like different things.

Seriously, is nobody gonna point out anything about a rack system? Yeah, thousands required for that, and a waste for the majority of ppl unless you happen to have need of a rack. Generally that's for the big time guitarists, if your just gonna gig you cant exactly wheel your rack around.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by danvwman

You have never played a USA made PRS have you? Mine is not a hard-tail, mine is a trem, and it is one of the best trems available today. I have played and owned many guitars PRS is the one that will never go anywhere. Besides the QC that PRS has is probably the best in the guitar industry (out of big manufactures).

Now I know not everyone likes the feel of every guitar, but to say something that stupid is just wrong. Most people who bash guitars like PRS/Gibson ect. have never touched one in there life.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For $1500 you can get a lot of used guitars, and one or two of them will Really surprise you. And the ones that you dont love will teach you things about yourself that you didn't know.
Quote by Snapple
Derp?

To be more specific:
I'm getting a engl e570 preamp (might settle for a e530 if I decide to get a new guitar, it's a $1000 difference which is what I'd add to the new guitar fund), and I'm still trying to figure out which power amp (thinking about one of the engl ones or the 2:90, wishing for a 2:100 but it's discontinued :| ), but they have a recording out which I can use headphones for in the meantime. Racks aren't just effects, in case you didn't know.

Anyways my friends have Gibson SG's that are pretty good and I was thinking of getting, and they're all differnet brands. Such as the custom ones that are more expensive, the standard, and cheapo ones, but one of them who's played across the good bad and ugly spectrum says they play pretty much the same, and the price difference is typically from things that really don't make the guitar much better at all.

I was also thinking of getting a B.C. Rich Double Neck Bich because I like the idea of one neck being a 12 string, and the other being regular. However, I could probably get a identical sound through some sort of sub-octave effect and a pedal so the second neck seems unnecessary.

According to their website http://www.bcrich.com/bich_double_neck.asp it also is made of mahogany (and not that nato shit), neck through, and a variety of other higher quality things, but what are some of the things that would separate it from a higher quality guitar aside from the material being used. You know, what makes it $1,000 instead of a $gajillion,000

Quote by Robbgnarly

You have never played a USA made PRS have you? Mine is not a hard-tail, mine is a trem, and it is one of the best trems available today. I have played and owned many guitars PRS is the one that will never go anywhere. Besides the QC that PRS has is probably the best in the guitar industry (out of big manufactures).

Now I know not everyone likes the feel of every guitar, but to say something that stupid is just wrong. Most people who bash guitars like PRS/Gibson ect. have never touched one in there life.

Can you elaborate on what exactly makes it so good, worth 3 grand

Quote by Snapple
Sigh, I think we should have rules againist such nonsense as "brand x kills brand y at half the price", opinion opinion. Just play what you like and accept people like different things.

Seriously, is nobody gonna point out anything about a rack system? Yeah, thousands required for that, and a waste for the majority of ppl unless you happen to have need of a rack. Generally that's for the big time guitarists, if your just gonna gig you cant exactly wheel your rack around.

I like the idea of versatility that the rack brings, and I like the ENGL E570's tone. It also doesn't hurt that the E570 preamp is half the ****ing price of the amp head it came from . (My friends tell me to get a marshall or mesa, but I don't want to be redundant)

So lets see. Shell out 4 grand for the head, or 4 grand for a preamp power amp combo and still have room for MIDI effects, tuners, etc.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 1, 2012,
Quote by Robbgnarly

You have never played a USA made PRS have you? Mine is not a hard-tail, mine is a trem, and it is one of the best trems available today.

Yes I have and they are nice but nicer can be had for less or equal (Carvin,collings,framus). Yes they are very pretty.
I am talking about the hardtail stop bridges. To ask 500 or more for a guitar you cannot adjust individual string intonation is ridiculous. What do you do when you chance string gauges????????? Yes some PRS models you can adjust. But most of the stop bridges they use you cannot. Start looking at the whole brand. I have seen them asking $2000-4500 for these. Why?
What the hell!!!
Quote by RockinSince1993
You Can adjust the intonation. Like virtually All wraparound bridge/tailpieces, the PRS bridges have two little screws on either end at the back, which are used to angle the bridge. I have a similar bridge on my Gibson Melody Maker (1964) and my guitar tech was able to achieve near perfect intonation (up until about the 17th fret, but even then it's only noticeable with a fine tuner). And that's on a guitar made in '64 (when the tolerances on bridge placement/fret placement were much higher). On a new, production instrument (where fret/bridge placement is computer controlled), perfect intonation would be as easy to achieve as any other bridge.

The key word here is NEAR perfect. For the money you give to get a PRS it should be perfect.
What the hell!!!
Quote by JKHC
I'm pretty sure most of their newer models have the wraparound that allows you to adjust intonation.

And you obviously haven't tried a $3500 PRS. Well, to be honest...neither have I but the custom 24 I tried was def worth the $2000 price tag. Nothing cheaper will get you the same feel and sound.

No they still sell them with the non adjustable one.

Yes I have, one being a 513, nice guitar but way too much compared to a equally equipped Ibanez. And they feel about the same.

Really nothing cheaper will get the same feel and sound? Wrong.
What the hell!!!
Quote by Robbgnarly
Used PRS Standard 24

and that should be the end of this thread.

So this guy can say this and I cant say a $1500 schecter can be better than a lot of others, hmmmmmmm a little hypocritical????
What the hell!!!
Alright, so I'm going to be honest I'm newer to dealing with higher end guitar buying. I spent like the last couple of months digging into a amp upgrade because practice amps suck, and that long quest lead me to go for a engl preamp (either the 600 dollar cheapo one or one I actually want which rounds up to 2,000) and figuring out the power amp from there (luckily they have recording out so you don't need one)

Can someone explain how if two guitars are made of the same materials, etc, how one could be worth twice as much as another one? I mean I know there's things like neck thru, how they dry the wood, and the name of the company (Gibson and their FBI raids) but what else sort of makes it so awesome that it can be +$3,000.
Zommguitar1234. Dude if you got the funds to get a rack setup do it, I like the way you are thinking. Racks keep it all nice, no undoing cables and such when setting up.
What the hell!!!
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Alright, so I'm going to be honest I'm newer to dealing with higher end guitar buying. I spent like the last couple of months digging into a amp upgrade because practice amps suck, and that long quest lead me to go for a engl preamp (either the 600 dollar cheapo one or one I actually want which rounds up to 2,000) and figuring out the power amp from there (luckily they have recording out so you don't need one)

Can someone explain how if two guitars are made of the same materials, etc, how one could be worth twice as much as another one? I mean I know there's things like neck thru, how they dry the wood, and the name of the company (Gibson and their FBI raids) but what else sort of makes it so awesome that it can be +$3,000.

I think it matters how many famous artists they give their stuff to free. They need to make up for that somehow.lol.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Zommguitar1234. Dude if you got the funds to get a rack setup do it, I like the way you are thinking. Racks keep it all nice, no undoing cables and such when setting up.

Yeah, and I also like how some of them come with MIDI pedals that let you switch the settings at the push of a foot switch. If I can get 3,500 together I can get the setup I want (ENGL E570 + Mesa 2:100) but I'm worried about how I'd have a mid level warlock going through a professional level amp, and how it might nullify the point to have a obnoxiously expensive setup.
personally i cant stand bc rich there bad quality bad sounding guitars, my opinion of course.
The NJ sereise aren't that bad. As long as the guitar is suiting your needs and your fine with the playability what?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
The NJ sereise aren't that bad. As long as the guitar is suiting your needs and your fine with the playability what?

Yeah, but I always hear "You can't polish off a turd" and stuff when I talk about upgrading it, and there are better guitars out there. I sort of am interested in knowing why some guitars which might be made with the same material/hardware would be obnoxiously more expensive than another one. Like I hear about Quality Control but how can you really tell how good the quality on the guitar is craftwise.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Yeah, but I always hear "You can't polish off a turd" and stuff when I talk about upgrading it, and there are better guitars out there. I sort of am interested in knowing why some guitars which might be made with the same material/hardware would be obnoxiously more expensive than another one. Like I hear about Quality Control but how can you really tell how good the quality on the guitar is craftwise.

How many guitars have you actually played? Nj's are fine guitars and u don't need more then one if it suits your needs.

Your best net is to divide up your budget, go to a guitar shop with ur BC rich and a/b some guitars to decide on what u like
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
How many guitars have you actually played? Nj's are fine guitars and u don't need more then one if it suits your needs.

Your best net is to divide up your budget, go to a guitar shop with ur BC rich and a/b some guitars to decide on what u like

Aside from my guitars, some crappy walmart guitar one of my friends lit on fire scalped and carved the shit out of, a gibson explorer, a gibson melody maker, and a few other random guitars I don't even remember.

I'm really trying to figure out if this is even necessary. I've seen arguments about nato (the wood it's made of) being a cheap wood, but that just means it's cheap not bad really. I also modded the crap out of it, but I just want to see if I could do much better with a high end guitar which is why I'm asking stuff like "If two guitars are made with the same hardware/material, how would quality control make one cost twice as much".

I'm planning on trying to eventually record a demo though and start up another band, which is why I'm blowing off a ton of money on gear.
All up to u man, I just hope u the best in your venture as I have no more advice to give. Happy new year and goodluck!
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
The two guitars you have already should be fine. Dont freak out yet.Look at my cheap ass Bich I rebuilt. The neck is a too little thick but damn it sounds and plays good now I have it going into a AVT150h thru a Sunn scepter staggared 4x12 at 4 ohms and it shakes my balls.

Maybe go try your Jackson on the setup you want and if it sounds cool your good ta go. Most mid level guitars built now are better than high end ones 30-40 years ago.
What the hell!!!