Title explains my problem, here are the specifics.

I'm pretty convinced I want an analog delay, simply for the warmth and simplicity. I'm not going to be doing any fancy buckethead or U2 type stuff, I'm going to be using it more for a subtle effect on a lead tone and maybe occasionally for a similar sound to Devin Townsend's 'Deadhead'

I've been interested in the MXR Carbon Copy and the Artec SE-ADL and would be very interested to know why there is such a diference in price bewteen the two. I also love the sound of the Red Witch Violet even though I know that it isn't true analog, I don't know what the consensus on those are around here.

Let's try and keep the budget below $150AU I'll go higher if I need to but I don't want to. (Also if you're from the US, feel free to do a 1=1 conversion between currencies but add $20-$30 for shipping because I can get things at US prices only from the US)

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Absolutely go with the Carbon Copy. I have at least 10 different delay pedals, and I am very picky about what delays I use where. While there are delays both better and worse than the Carbon Copy, what you're describing is definitely something within that pedal's range. I highly recommend it.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
The price difference between the MXR and the Artec is mostly brand name and quality. MXR builds pretty solid pedals and have definitely proven themselves worthy of a brand name that can cost a bit more. From what I know of Artec, they're pretty shady - especially on this delay. It technically does not have true bypass and isn't even really analog, if you take a deeper look into the specs. It sounds fine, but I wouldn't say it's as good as the Carbon Copy. You don't want to go cheap with delays, even if you only want it for subtle effects - something I've learned well in my experience. I'm on my third cheap delay pedal, and once it breaks like the others did, I'm going to step up to a more expensive pedal.

All in all, the Artec is still one of the best you'll find in its price range. You could also look at the variety of delay pedals in between the two, I'm pretty sure that Electro Harmonix has a few around $100US, and those I'd personally recommend. I like the Carbon Copy, but I feel it is over priced for how simple it is, especially when Electro Harmonix has some of their Memory Man and Memory Boy models at much cheaper prices.
i agree with the carbon copy. i have one and love it. i use mine after my distortion pedal and it gives a really nice, subtle sound to your lead/solo type of tones. it helps to add a pretty decent amount of depth and makes the sound feel more..... full
Definitely leaning towards the MXR especially since I can only find the Memory Boy for pretty much the same price as the MXR anyway.

Anyone have anything to say about the Red Witch?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Have you ever considered the TC Electronic flashback delay?

This review made me fall in love with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvCC1TfNfb4
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by denied
What you're looking for is a Malekko 616.

Forget the CC.

I agree that it seems nice (and the lo fi one sounds gorgeous, just not what I'm after). But I can't find one for less than $300.
If you know of somewhere that sells them at elast close to my budget, I'd be interested.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

i don't think the artec is analogue
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gilly_90
I agree that it seems nice (and the lo fi one sounds gorgeous, just not what I'm after). But I can't find one for less than $300.
If you know of somewhere that sells them at elast close to my budget, I'd be interested.

Dude what. guitarcenter.com and a bunch of other places have the 616 for $150, same price as the MXR.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by denied
What you're looking for is a Malekko 616.

Forget the CC.

This. The reason for the price disparity is the cheaper build quality an the fact that the Artec is actually an analog voiced digital delay IIRC.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Raijouta
Dude what. guitarcenter.com and a bunch of other places have the 616 for $150, same price as the MXR.

But GC don't ship Malekko products to Australia.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
But GC don't ship Malekko products to Australia.

Then buy from Tonefactor, PGS, etc. They all ship internationally for very reasonable fees.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by gilly_90

Order from proguitarshop.com ?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by pinheadslts75
Go with the Malekko. It's more fully featured, sounds just as good, and costs the same.

You could argue it sounds better. Stands out more in a mix for sure. The Carbon Copy tries too hard to be analog IMO, though higher voltages are supposed to help brighten up the repeats.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Then buy from Tonefactor, PGS, etc. They all ship internationally for very reasonable fees.

Thanks, I'll enquire further.

Quote by silly hats
...You could just order it from a shop in Australia

http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/malekko-ekko616.asp

Nice $150 there, champ.

Quote by denied
So it looks like the 616 is currently unavailable direct or through PGS - I'd try to pick oneup used - the going rate is about $130 which puts it right in your budget with shipping.

Cool, I'll look into that too.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

^ both are out of stock... they've not been discontinued or anything have they?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by mmolteratx
You could argue it sounds better. Stands out more in a mix for sure. The Carbon Copy tries too hard to be analog IMO, though higher voltages are supposed to help brighten up the repeats.

Well, I've only played the Malekko in a guitar center, so I don't want to make judgements on the sound front.