I've tried recording my drummer using a simple computer microphone, and the drums sounded like 8 bit diarhea robot breaking glass. I've done everything in my power to compress, equalize, and modify the drum track, but it still sounds terrible.

So am I doing something wrong, do I look for a new computer microphone, or what?
You look for an interface with at min 8 imputs, 8 mics, and a computer to handle it
You can't get a good sound with a computer mic. Like stated, 8 mics would be optimal. You can, however, get a decent sound using 2 mics if you know what you are doing.
Sometimes, at least for more simple and not loud songs, one well placed mic can do the trick.
But no, not a computer mic.
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Well see I think one mic would do the trick for now, because I can do alot of modifications to the original track with my computer (mastering and what not.)

8 mics would probably deliver great quality, but we need some other equiptment before we can start spending on 8 microphones.

Also I don't have an audio interface with 8 channels. Hopefully in the future though.

Thanks.
You're not gonna get a good sound out of one mic for most songs, especially considering your location...

Drums are probably the most difficult instrument to properly capture because a set is essentially an amalgamation of independent instruments. You can get a decent sound out of two well-placed microphones. Three is pretty good (a kick, overhead, snare) five is best for home recording (kick, snare, ambient room or hats, two overheads).
I'll see what we can do, The original sound from one mic (strategically placed.) will not sound that great, but I can improve the sound quality during the master.

I'll try to get as many mics as I can, but I'll have to make due for now.
The thing is, 95% of a good mix comes from the source. If you don't capture good sounds with the mic, you will never be able to make it sound good. No amount of mixing and mastering will make it sound good. Also, recording with only one mic means that your drums will be in mono. With two mics you are able to use stereo micing techniques.
Quote by KORRUSK
The original sound from one mic (strategically placed.) will not sound that great, but I can improve the sound quality during the master.

In the recording world, we call this "polishing turds."

I mean you *can* get a decent recording with one mic. In the fifties, all those bands made recordings that way. One mic in a room. (later, two) Guitarist turns up. Drummer plays a bit quieter. Bass player moves closer to the mic. Singer stands over there.... wait.... try over there. Sing louder. Good. Go!!

It wasn't until the Beatles where commercial recordings used more modern techniques that are common convention now, like multi-tracking and close-miking drums.

This is why recordings from the '60's have a different vibe than recordings from the '50's. The approach changed.

But the difference is that they were still using great gear. They sure as heck weren't dropping a computer mic, or even an SM58 in the middle of that room.

They got a great recording with great gear in a great room, and then polished up a great recording to sound even better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well like I said, we'll see, because right now I only have one mic. I also need to get an audio interface with many channels.

I know that its still not going to sound 'professional' no matter what (I'm not an idiot.) I just want something better than the sound from my crappy 2$ computer mic.

I don't have all the equiptment, but I appreciate the help. I have a better understanding of what I need to do.
Get a good drum virtual instrument.

Without ~$1000 in drum mics, plus a good set, good cymbals, a drummer that knows how to tune his drums properly and someone knowledgeable in mixing, you won't even get close to the sound of a good plugin.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I was thinking about just recreating the drum beat using a VST plugin, but that may be cheating the recording.
Quote by KORRUSK
I was thinking about just recreating the drum beat using a VST plugin, but that may be cheating the recording.

How so?

They are on major releases you hear on the radio every single day
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com