hey, I've decided that i want to start some recording but I'm not sure what to go for. I don't have a lot of money so I need maybe one or two decent microphones that wont cost a fortune (under £100/$200 each). They will mainly be for recording guitars and vocals as I'll DI the bass. Any help is appreciated, thanks
the Shure SM57 is a pretty trustworthy mic and used in most guitar/amp demos youll see on youtube. its a pretty sick mic for the price and can also record vocals but for two mics get a Shure SM57 for guitar and Shure SM58 for vocals.
Shure SM57/58 is always the best answer.

What other recording kit are you using? If you don't have an interface or multitracker, that should be your first investment.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
On that budget, the 57 is a must. The 58 is a good starting point, although it's aimed more at live performance than the studio, it will be hard to beat in that price range.
I've got an interface, its a line 6 KB37 which is basicly an interface attached to a keyboard. I'll check out the SM57/58, I'm pretty sure those are the ones I'm using at school. Thanks everyone
Sm57s are very versatile and a good investment. If you intend on using the mics live a 58 will be handy but if recording vocals in a studio, I'd go for something else.

Sorry to do what I hate to see others do and suggest something above budget but I really like my Rode NT1A for vocals. It's a little bright but that can be tamed very easily and sounds great.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Although the SM57 is the workhorse around most decent-sized studios and it can work very well on guitars, drums and even backing vocals at times, it's a lot less versatile as a lead vocal mic or if you're looking to record an acoustic guitar. Depending on what kind of recordings you'll be doing I'd either recommend the SM57 or the Studio Projects B1 which is the best bang-for-your-buck mic I've come across. It comes in under your budget (at least as its listed at Thomann) and it can handle a guitar amp, most vocal duties (I've found the slightly muffled highs to not quite bring out the best in female vocalists though), and it sounds pretty good on an acoustic.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/studio_projects_b1.htm
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Just got the AT2020 and it's really nice on vocals and acoustic guitars.

Never owned an SM57 but it's definitely something to consider by reputation.
Having an SM57 and an SM58 is like having a good hammer and a good pair of pliers. You won't use them every day, but you'll always be glad you have them, even as you accumulate a workshop full of lathes, drill presses, and radial arm saws.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm going to say, get an SM58, yes, a 58 - it is the exact same mic as the 57, but it has the grille. Take the grille off to mic a cab and it sounds the same, plus you have the grille on it if you like it for your vocals, and live use. No need for both a 57 and 58 on your budget.

For your second mic, try and find a used Audio Technica AT4040. It will last you a LONG time and is leaps and bounds above anything else in your price range new. The AT2020 and NT1A mentioned don't even compare. Plus, you can usually find them pretty cheap on the used market.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm going to say, get an SM58, yes, a 58 - it is the exact same mic as the 57, but it has the grille. Take the grille off to mic a cab and it sounds the same, plus you have the grille on it if you like it for your vocals, and live use. No need for both a 57 and 58 on your budget.

For your second mic, try and find a used Audio Technica AT4040. It will last you a LONG time and is leaps and bounds above anything else in your price range new. The AT2020 and NT1A mentioned don't even compare. Plus, you can usually find them pretty cheap on the used market.

The Sm58 minus grille thing - although the capsule is (allegedly the same) the whole design of the mic equals the sum. I'm not sure how much the grille ball has to do with the cardioid pattern but it's worth bearing in mind with stuff like snares where it matters so much.
Quote by fly135
SM57. Excellent on guitar cabs, snares and toms and good enough for Bono's vocals in the studio.
Quote by Dilberto
The Sm58 minus grille thing - although the capsule is (allegedly the same) the whole design of the mic equals the sum. I'm not sure how much the grille ball has to do with the cardioid pattern but it's worth bearing in mind with stuff like snares where it matters so much.

The TS isn't using it on drums, though. On a small budget, there's no point in buying both, unless you need to use them simultaneously.

I have a video posted on YouTube that compares a fake 57, real 57, a 58 and beta57 and the 57 sounds identical to the 58 with the grille off on a guitar cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The TS isn't using it on drums, though. On a small budget, there's no point in buying both, unless you need to use them simultaneously.

I have a video posted on YouTube that compares a fake 57, real 57, a 58 and beta57 and the 57 sounds identical to the 58 with the grille off on a guitar cab

we're arguing almost the same point - that there's little point buying both at the start and I was just pointing out that buying a 58 and thinking that it will be the same as a 57 with the grille off may not be true. Besides, a 57 bought now will be handy if he ever wants to record drums later.....

The last time I recorded drums I used a 58 on the snare and I did get a lot of hihat bleed. It may well have been because of positioning but it got me thinking.
Quote by fly135
Quote by Dilberto
we're arguing almost the same point - that there's little point buying both at the start and I was just pointing out that buying a 58 and thinking that it will be the same as a 57 with the grille off may not be true. Besides, a 57 bought now will be handy if he ever wants to record drums later.....

The last time I recorded drums I used a 58 on the snare and I did get a lot of hihat bleed. It may well have been because of positioning but it got me thinking.

True, but I'm thinking more of using the SM58 for more than one purpose. Since the TS requires a mic for micing a cab, and a mic for vocals, he can buy a 58 for guitar and vocals (in case he finds that he likes the dynamic on his voice a bit better for certain things), and use the condenser for vocals (and as a room mic for guitar to capture the "largeness" if wanted).

While, yes, the 57 can work just fine on vocals, I find singers have an easier time getting a good performance out of the 58, because it's likely the same mic they'd use live. They're used to it

I honestly haven't tried the 58 on drums, mainly because I'd be afraid of someone hitting it with the grille off and damaging it, but they do sound the same as a 57 on guitars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlKlewX04E0&list=UUQgz_63rMpafN0NOnpC8ZMg&index=3&feature=plcp

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com