Hi UG, I'm a beginner on guitar, I've played for about two months now.
A friend of mine let me borrow his Roland Micro Cube amplifier, which I found to be extremely cool to have for toying around while learning guitar.
He had to take it back now though, so I have to buy my own.
I'm looking for a amplifier around the price range of a Roland Micro Cube. The reason I'm not just buying another Micro Cube is that I would like one that perhaps is a bit better suited for playing metal, but still has enough diversity to get around all genres.
I play all kinds of metal ranging from Metallica to Dream Theater to Avenged Sevenfold to Steel Panther to Shinedown.
If anybody here can suggest a really good amplifier that'll help me create a better metal sound with some good overdrive etc., I would be very happy.
I believe what they're called is a combo amplifier?
I'm willing to spend up to about 200 US Dollars on an amp. If you know an amp reaching godlike levels for a bit higher price please don't hesitate to post it.

Hope to hear from you, UG, and happy new year!
Peavey Vypyr series amps are good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea I've been looking at a Peavey Vypyr 15. That series definitely looks like a possibility.
Does anybody what the big difference between a Peavey Vypyr 30 and 75 is besides the watt difference?
Quote by Rockztar91
Does anybody what the big difference between a Peavey Vypyr 30 and 75 is besides the watt difference?
Vypyr 75 has USB support, so it would be more ideal if you wanted to do recording stuff, though it's $100 more.
Quote by Rockztar91

Other than the obvious more power? The 75 has USB out and a power sponge.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by denied
Yeah, vypyr or cube are good.

Take a look at the little vox modelers as well.

I'm the proud owner of a vox modeller and I can't recommend them for metal. I don't know myself but others have said the vypyr is better for high gain sounds and the vox for low gain, which is what I use. It does do high gain (I tried them when I got the amp) but I wouldn't know if it they are good or bad. They're just noise to me!

So probably best stick to the Vypyr. Don't let anyone force you into limiting your sound with a valve job. They will give you no flexibility, and will force you into a specific tone, and if you don't like that tone then you'll be buying another amp or pedals to try to fix it. It will also be more money and lower wattage. A good modeller will get you started and keep you going for a good few years.
Modellers are for pussies, get a real amp.

I'd resuggest a Blackstar HT1R, as it brings the br00tz, and so unless you're also jamming with friends, it'll be plenty loud enough.
You want AT LEAST a 10 inch speaker, those little 8" guys sound like poop for rock/metal.

TBH, I think the Cube more suits a tech death Necrophagist thing. A buddy of mine has his sounding kinda alright. Vyper works better at chunk IMO.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by FearMyLightning
Modellers are for pussies, get a real amp.

I'd resuggest a Blackstar HT1R, as it brings the br00tz, and so unless you're also jamming with friends, it'll be plenty loud enough.

Hmmm. Well, if the OP likes the Blackstar sound, and that he'll be happy with one watt, and that he'll never need to play over a drummer then fine. Wouldn't be nice for them though if they dropped the cash and found out the hard way.

The OP is just starting out, and won't necessariy know what they want to do in the future, so trading some so-called "tone" for flexibility would be a better choice for them. A good modeller is better than a valve anyday unless you are on stage and able to turn it up to operating volume. If not it is just an expensive ego trip.

I have no idea what "brings the br00tz" means, so I can't comment on what impct it has on any amp.
Last edited by deano_l at Jan 1, 2012,
i don't know what it's called but I think it's Blackstar that makes a little 1W amp. I don't see it being much use other than just hanging in your bedroom but it'll probably have the closest gain tone that you want.
Quote by gerraguitar
i don't know what it's called but I think it's Blackstar that makes a little 1W amp. I don't see it being much use other than just hanging in your bedroom but it'll probably have the closest gain tone that you want.

I suggested that. Twice.

IMO it's ALOT easier to get a good tone out of ONE amp rather than a modeller w/ 20+ different amp models.
But maybe TS wants to experiment with a couple effects and different amp models?
Quote by FearMyLightning
I suggested that. Twice.

IMO it's ALOT easier to get a good tone out of ONE amp rather than a modeller w/ 20+ different amp models.

Why's that? Took me less than 5mins to get some awesome tones out of a 30w vypyr. Could it do exactly what my 6505 can? No, but I could get it to the 90-95% range quite easily. The whole idea behind a modeler is to have flexibility. Being able to go from a fender twin for cleans, to a 6505 rhythm channel for some nice crunch then to the red channel for leads all at the flick of a footswitch! And if you put the effort into it, do the same for different voicings with a plexi marshall or anything else you want to experiment with.

There are some great flexible high gain valve amps on the market, but you ain't buying one for $200.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
the 110 Vypyr/Cube it is then!

Or even better opt for a 112 used!