guys do you have any tips on playing the intro of sweet child o mine while standing up? when i sit down, i can play it perfectly but when i wanna play standing up, it becomes a horrible mess.. any advice? is it my fretting hand position or something else?
Shorten your strap.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
if you wanna get better playing standing up, practice more standing up.
Raise your strap too
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
having your strap short is trendy now son (and if it helps your playing do it for christ's sake)
^ 12er!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah just practice more standing up, you'll get the hang of it eventually.
If you have the guitar in the same position there really isn't much difference. What I would do is use the strap when sitting down and set it so that the guitar naturally hangs where you want it when sitting. Then stand up. The guitar should be in the same spot as sitting.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by mnf50
^ 12er!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats got to be a multi, i haven't updated my gear yet and its been 3 years, no way has that guy done it in 10 hours.
Practice standing up more often, it may be the only way that you will get better.
Irons
Quote by ethanwhufc
Practice standing up more often, it may be the only way that you will get better.

This +1. The only way to get better at something is to confront it and do it as often as you can. Focus on what makes standing up difficult and keep working on it and correcting it.

The best headstart you can do is to make sure when you're sitting down to have the guitar roughly placed at the same height/angle to your body while youre standing, without being silly about it (ie, like if you're standing with the guitar down low at your thighs)
haha. its probably not just sweet child of mine, its probably your skills standing up playing in general. so just practice that and it will come
Quote by pawnluv
if you wanna get better playing standing up, practice more standing up.
Raise your strap too

this. sit up straight with your guitar on your left leg. adjust the strap so that this is little to no slack while sitting like this. this is pretty much the perfect height to have your guitar.
Shorten your strap and relax, if it's getting all confused then your probably stiff and not loose enough. I like to lean back a little whilst I'm playing as this feels more comfortable and my arms can move more freely over the guitar.
You could try Slash's pose with guitar slung low, knees bent and leaning back that should do it