Hi guys,
Im having a bit of a problem with my shellac french polishing... Basically the finish is nice but I keep white marks in it, I haven't grain filled but I was going for a LP studio type clear coat (mahogany BTW). I think the marks are due to the rag being small and creating thin channels if you will... I have tried scuff sanding between coats but I cant seem to find a solution? Pls help guys!
so you have dust/powder in your guitar's grain (assuming faded) Right? i did that one time to a body that was given to me (first time refinishing), i was unable to get it out. really sucks, i hope you had better luck than i did. hopefully you will find something to get it out. i tried a lot of things, literally up to the point to wipe with everything from rubbing alcohol to lacquer thinner, acetone, kerosene, etc, then i realized that i was screwed. also the methods i tried are very unsafe, be smart. i probably damaged the wood with some of those chemicals, but i painted it a vintage white and it looked nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by zubin.isaac
Thats not actually my problem. Ive kinda solved it for anyone else whos wondering but basically I have to wet sand quite a lot.

I believe changing directions as you apply successive layers is supposed to help smooth out the finish.

Since you did not grain fill, you have to build up A LOT of material on the wood. Then you have to sand it back till only the pours have shellac. That creates a nice flat surface, which you can now build up on.

Ultimately though, you do have to wet sand and buff. Shellac is pretty soft, so even a cotton towel will scratch it, that's what the finally wet sanding and buffing is for. Looks like you figured things out.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Jan 2, 2012,