Maybe it's just me but I can't find a good explanation on why people dislike floyd roses. I've heard that its hard to change tunings but I know a lot of floyd roses have those tuning things at the bottom (can't remember what theyre called). Anyway, from what I've heard they can very easily drop the tuning a step and a half. Is this true? If it is I would have no problems with that as I normally dont drop tuning any further than a full step down from standard.
The non resesed floyds will be better suited for this. The floating/recesed type mounting is not very good at changing tunings.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The fine tuners aren't enough to drop your tuning even a whole step. You have to adjust your spring tension when you change tunings or string gauge. It's a bitch, I'd much rather have a hardtail.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
This clears it up, cheers. No Floyd Rose for me then. It's a shame a lot of guitars with all the features I want, at the price I want have FRs. The search continues...
Trust me, it sucks ass. As the guy above me said the fine tuners can go up to about a 1/4 step, so if you want a half step or a step down, you'll have to change your spring tension..

Quote by guitarlikewa
This clears it up, cheers. No Floyd Rose for me then. It's a shame a lot of guitars with all the features I want, at the price I want have FRs. The search continues...

EDIT: What specs are you looking for?
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
first off, the fine tuners will most likely not allow you to drop the pitch more than a full-step
secondly, the way it can "float" is because the string tension is balanced with the spring tension
by changing tunings, you are either reducing or increasing the string tension, therefore throwing of its balance with the springs. this would also throw off your tuning even further

the only way to prevent this is to "block" the tremolo. but that's another conversation.
and if you were to block the trem, having the floyd in the first place would be stupid
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Floyds are great, but only if you plan on keeping the guitar with a floyd in one tuning
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
As someone who owns both a hardtail and FR guitar, I'll say that there are some legit reasons to dislike a Floyd Rose. If you do your research on how they work and you understand it you shouldn't have any real problems with them, but there are still a few concerns.

First off, setting them up takes quite a bit longer than with a hardtail mostly because you actually need to tune them about 3-4 times to check how your adjustment worked EVERY TIME you mess with a string to do it right.

Also, it is harder to get good sustain out of a Floyd Rose as well. However, just having a Floyd makes an electric sound slightly more "acoustic" because of the big hole through the guitar. I don't really know if this would be a pro or a con and probably boils down to preference. You can do different things with either bridge.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by constructbot
Trust me, it sucks ass. As the guy above me said the fine tuners can go up to about a 1/4 step, so if you want a half step or a step down, you'll have to change your spring tension..

EDIT: What specs are you looking for?

Specs im looking for are not too specific but I would want active pickups and neck through design for in and around £500 (£550 odd is the absolute maximum I can manage). Wouldn't go second hand, haven't had much luck in the past with second hand shit. Ive been looking at a few Schecters and ESP Ltds that come close. Schecter have the Damien Elites with active EMGs but it's a bolt on. ESP/LTD have some in my price range with active pickups and neck through design but with a floyd rose. Solution is probably just to get more money unfortunately.
That's the reason why I block the FR on my guitar. Its got the tuning stability of a floyd rose and i can also bypass adjusting the spring tension when changing strings/tunings.
Quote by guitarlikewa
Specs im looking for are not too specific but I would want active pickups and neck through design for in and around £500 (£550 odd is the absolute maximum I can manage). Wouldn't go second hand, haven't had much luck in the past with second hand shit. Ive been looking at a few Schecters and ESP Ltds that come close. Schecter have the Damien Elites with active EMGs but it's a bolt on. ESP/LTD have some in my price range with active pickups and neck through design but with a floyd rose. Solution is probably just to get more money unfortunately.

Once you go Kahler, you never go back.