Is there a noticeable difference in sound between a single coil pickup at bridge position mounted at an angle (as is typical for Stratocasters), and it mounted straight?
Well the farther away from the strings they are the weaker the signal will be, so yes.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
Well the farther away from the strings they are the weaker the signal will be, so yes.

That's not what he's asking.

Generally, yes. The side of the pickup that is closer to the bridge will be brighter and the side that is closer to the neck will be warmer. At least that is the theory. Does it actually make a difference? That is debatable, same with F spaced pickups. The magnets create a field of pull rather than a straight line so pickup spacing and angle is kind of weird. Having the pole pieces line up correctly IS the right way to do it, but I doubt there would be any noticeable difference between the two unless you are recording it and looking at the soundwaves.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
yeah i think it's probably noticeable. never actually tried it with single coils, but i had a guitar with an angled humbucker (for teh 80sness) and i thought it sounded slightly different from a normal "straight" humbucker... as said, a little brighter on the treble strings and a little warmer on the bass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you for the answers. And what about rail pickups - if I had one mounted at an angle in place of an ordinary single coil and then split it? Would that sound different from an ordinary single coil?
probably a bit

though i actually think i prefer teh sound of my (neck) hotrails split than in full series mode. it sounds in the ballpark of a single coil.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would think so yeah, never tried it though.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12