I've been playing guitar for over five years now, and though I am by no means a master, I've reached the stage where only genuinely advanced techniques are beyond my ability (and those I can still manage upto a basic level, just dont ask me to play Animals as Leaders or something crazy like that). So I would rate myself at somewhere between intermediate and advanced, tending toward advanced. And I've been feeling the need to try something new. Make no mistake, guitar will still remain my main instrument. But I've been wanting to expand a bit into other instruments. I considered drums, but I neither have the space nor the lenient neighbours for an acoustic kit, nor do I have the money for an electric. So I decided to learn keyboards (and convinced my mom to get me one for my next birthday right now all i do is fiddle around with my bands keys guys keyboard and try to transpose a few simple guitar riffs etc).

However, I know squat about keyboards and synths. I have no idea what to look for, or what does what on a keyboard. I tried googling it, but ended up even more confused. Links or info would be very helpful.

The typical genre/location/budget deal-

Budget- 200 to 700, though since its a first keyboard I'd rather spend as little as possible without getting a piece of sh|t.

Location- Calcuta, used market doesnt exist.

Genres- Basically progressive. I'm looking for typical piano tones, sawtooth tones, spacey synth tones, and ambient tones. Jordan Rudess's synth stuff is kinda like what im after (without spending as much as he does, of course).

I already have a keyboard amp, if that helps

TLR-
Me wants synth. Me not knows what to look for. Me wants links and info on synths and keyboards. Please help. Good people get blessed with e-cookies.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jan 1, 2012,
why not just get something basic and cheap so you can figure out if you like it first before dishing out some money.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Casio-WK-225-76-Key-Portable-Keyboard-H77049-i2059368.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB
I got this for like my 14th birthday and I still use it to mess around a bit. It's not really that great but it gave me a general idea of what I wanted. It's not that complicated and good to learn on.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Budget is 200 to 700 whats? a MicroKorg might be a good idea. I don't know loads about synths, but I've played around with quite a few, and the MicroKorg was probably one of the most fun ones, especially for its price. It also gets pretty good reviews from what I remember.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
why not just get something basic and cheap so you can figure out if you like it first before dishing out some money.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Casio-WK-225-76-Key-Portable-Keyboard-H77049-i2059368.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB
I got this for like my 14th birthday and I still use it to mess around a bit. It's not really that great but it gave me a general idea of what I wanted. It's not that complicated and good to learn on.

I already do have an idea of what I want, I just dont know what that translates into keyboard terms, or how the keyboards do what they do. That said, the WK seems pretty good value. Though that particular model isnt available in these parts.

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/140-keyboards-and-pianos/143-portable-keyboards/5372-casio-wk-500-76-key-digital-workstation-arranger-keyboard.html

This ones the cheapest WK I could find......

Quote by stonyman65

Yes, that they do, with awesome prices too.....their cheapest Juno is about 900 here

Quote by theknuckster
Budget is 200 to 700 whats? a MicroKorg might be a good idea. I don't know loads about synths, but I've played around with quite a few, and the MicroKorg was probably one of the most fun ones, especially for its price. It also gets pretty good reviews from what I remember.

US Dollars, forgot to mention that.
well a MicroKorg is about $450 I would guess then (I'm English, so not totally up to date on prices in dollars), so maybe worth checking out on YouTube to see if it's your kind of thing or not?
Quote by theknuckster
well a MicroKorg is about $450 I would guess then (I'm English, so not totally up to date on prices in dollars), so maybe worth checking out on YouTube to see if it's your kind of thing or not?

Took a look, sounds great but its a bit small- 37 keys really isnt going to do. Im gonna be using it as a serious instrument, so 61 is pretty much what im looking for.

Did a bit of reading up, it seems not all keyboards let you make synth sounds?

EDIT: And what are these "module" things I keep seeing on google?

EDIT2: Seems not all keyboards have speakers. Not a biggie, have a keyboard amp.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jan 1, 2012,
for sure dude. if you're impressed with it and it's in your price range then go for it man.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.