So, I'd like to start out saying happy new year to everyone, I hope it all goes well. Anyway, I've run into a predicament. This isn't a "which pedals?" thread, since I've already decided what pedals I want to buy. The challenge came when I was given a good offer for a TC Electronics G Major. I haven't bought anything yet, but I'm wondering if the G Major and a foot controller is a better idea than most of the pedals on the board and therefore should replace them. I'll be using them from everything from post rock, to Eric Johnson style soloing, to U2 style music, and so on.

My list looks like this right now:
In Chain:
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9

In Loops: (I have a Roadking, so 2 effects loops)
MXR Phase 90/100 (whichever I find first)
EHX Electric Mistress Chorus
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR M169 Carbon Copy Delay
EHX Holy Grail Plus Reverb

Everything but the Wah, TS9 and EQ pedal can be swapped for the G Major, but I'm not sure this is a wise decision. Thoughts?

EDIT: The only effects of the G Major not represented by the pedals are a Flange and pitch shifter, but I'm not sure if those are necessary for me.
Last edited by Ice4600 at Jan 1, 2012,
I used to be a single pedal freak but I've since become a lot more attracted to racks. I ended up selling all of my effects pedals to think about getting a G major or something similar. I think it depends on how dramatically you change your effects and how layered they are. For me I would sometimes have to stomp three pedals at the same time to get the effect change I wanted but with a multi it was a single stomp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I own a G-Major and used to have a ton of pedals. Making patches and switching all your effects on and off with only one button is wayyyyy better than having to press multiple ones.

What you couldn't do before because you can't switch enough pedals on and off, you now have endless possibilities to do with a rack effects processor

I'm selling my G-Major though. Not because it doesn't sound good, just because I rarely use effects anymore
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You don't need what you don't use. I am personally a minimalist and don't need anything but a guitar, amp, maybe an overdrive.

That being said, I wand a POD HD500 really bad. Hooray effects!!!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by MatrixClaw
I own a G-Major and used to have a ton of pedals. Making patches and switching all your effects on and off with only one button is wayyyyy better than having to press multiple ones.

What you couldn't do before because you can't switch enough pedals on and off, you now have endless possibilities to do with a rack effects processor

I'm selling my G-Major though. Not because it doesn't sound good, just because I rarely use effects anymore

Thanks Matrix. I'm relatively new to rack effects though so I don't know much about patches and how to implement them. Do you have a separate foot controller?

EDIT: I've been doing some research on foot controllers and came across the Behringer FCB1010 controller and its in my price range, but it looks like it can only switch between 2 channels and I have a 4 channel amp. If I connect this to a G Major, it looks like I'll have to choose 2 channels to be 1-button changes, and for the other 2, I'll have to hit one button for the channel and one for the effects. Is that true? What controller should I look at if I want 4 channel 1-button changes and not shell out a lot of cash?
Last edited by Ice4600 at Jan 1, 2012,
Quote by Ice4600
Thanks Matrix. I'm relatively new to rack effects though so I don't know much about patches and how to implement them. Do you have a separate foot controller?

EDIT: I've been doing some research on foot controllers and came across the Behringer FCB1010 controller and its in my price range, but it looks like it can only switch between 2 channels and I have a 4 channel amp. If I connect this to a G Major, it looks like I'll have to choose 2 channels to be 1-button changes, and for the other 2, I'll have to hit one button for the channel and one for the effects. Is that true? What controller should I look at if I want 4 channel 1-button changes and not shell out a lot of cash?

Put an RJM Amp Gizmo in between the midi controller and the G Major. you can send CC's on another channel that the G major isn't listening on, and the RJM will switch practically as many channels as you want.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Put an RJM Amp Gizmo in between the midi controller and the G Major. you can send CC's on another channel that the G major isn't listening on, and the RJM will switch practically as many channels as you want.

The G Major has four relay outputs. Why not use those and program your patches accordingly?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ice4600

I use the FCB1010 you mentioned with mine, but I use it with my Diezel Herbert, which switches channels via MIDI, so I don't use the relays on it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Once again, you don't need what you don't use!

:p
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Cathbard
The G Major has four relay outputs. Why not use those and program your patches accordingly?

Depends on the amp. If his amp is a 4 channel that uses relays, BUT a DIN plug (engls), then RJM has that covered. If it's a Mesa, like the Mark series, I think I remember my mark IV having 1/4" inputs for channel switching as well as a din plug.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by MatrixClaw

This is true. But I have to say that I don't particularly like the g major for flanger or phaser tones.

I'd recommend it over everything but the single pedal phaser and possibly the eq.
But you can of course you can get the g major and than single pedals later on to fill in on the g majors weak points
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Reincaster
Depends on the amp. If his amp is a 4 channel that uses relays, BUT a DIN plug (engls), then RJM has that covered. If it's a Mesa, like the Mark series, I think I remember my mark IV having 1/4" inputs for channel switching as well as a din plug.

He said he's got a Road King.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
I think I'm missing something, because I've seen the back of the G Major and it has Analog L/R and Digital inputs and outputs, MIDI in, thru and out, an analog switch out jack (which I don't understand) and an analog "External Control In" jack (which I also don't understand.) I'm just confused as to how this and the Behringer combined can switch between 4 channels..
The G major would have to do your seitching and it would only switch 2 functions. Like on my amp (6534+) I could toggle clean/crunch and channel switch with the gmajor ii relays. But the berhinger on its own will do shit
Quote by Reincaster

Seems like an expensive solution to solve the lack of a cable with the right connectors. I'd just wire up a cable - as much as I hate DIN.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Seems like an expensive solution to solve the lack of a cable with the right connectors. I'd just wire up a cable - as much as I hate DIN.

Why not just use the regular switch then? I mean, what's one more button switch when you're used to dealing with multiple pedal taps? I mean, that's two taps total, then?

Rack gear is all about finding expensive solutions to problems, lol!

I have one, because my current rack gear doesn't have any relays like the g major.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Jan 3, 2012,