I'm headed off to London for a few months. I want to take my electric guitar in a gig bag. Can I just hang it round myself like a backpack and be ok carrying it on as hand luggage?

Or would they make me check it in?

Anyone have any experiences with this?
Yup. I'm pretty sure you can take it on as hand luggage.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I don't have experience with it but I doubt they'll let you take a guitar on board. And don't leave it in a gig bag if you're taking it as regular luggage - hard case is a must.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I don't have experience with it but I doubt they'll let you take a guitar on board. And don't leave it in a gig bag if you're taking it as regular luggage - hard case is a must.

I don't know about the rules for carry-on luggage, but the bolded part definitely. If you want your guitar to be intact, put it in something that protects from a beating.
Where are you flying from? I can't say for sure about flights from the US, but I've done it loads of times on Easyjet flights around Europe. As long as its your only piece of hand luggage, you'll be fine. No-one has ever complained. It fits in the overhead compartment without any problems, on top of other bags. It doesn't even go out of tune.

EDIT: But if you're gonna give it in through regular luggage, invest in a flight case.
Last edited by sashki at Jan 1, 2012,
If I do take it as checked in luggage, I'll have to pay an extra $100. In which case I will just buy a used guitar when I'm over there instead of taking one from here.

If I can take it as carry-on, that would be great.
Your best bet would be to ring them up and ask just to make sure.
I took mine on all four flights from maine to seattle (round trip included) with no problems. Most cases, the case fit into the bigger stalls just perfectly.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by sashki
Where are you flying from? I can't say for sure about flights from the US, but I've done it loads of times on Easyjet flights around Europe. As long as its your only piece of hand luggage, you'll be fine. No-one has ever complained. It fits in the overhead compartment without any problems, on top of other bags. It doesn't even go out of tune.

EDIT: But if you're gonna give it in through regular luggage, invest in a flight case.

Flying out from Washington DC
I've taken mine before as a carry-on. Though I live in Canada.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Trowzaa
Your best bet would be to ring them up and ask just to make sure.

this.

why take the effort to ask people who might know, when you can use the same amount of effort to ask people who will definitely know?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If you do ever decide to check a guitar, DEFINITELY get a flight case, not just a hardshell. I've heard stories of necks being damaged from heavy bags falling on a regular hardcase, and when you look at it, they really more suited for regular abuse going to/from gigs, shipping/flying is a whole different matter
NOPE
yea u can, i was lucky enough to have a whole empty overhead compartment to myself
I JUST finished reading on that last night actually. If you're with Air Canada:

You can take it as a carry on with Air Canada, or you can purchase an extra seat for your guitar, but if you're going to take it as checked baggage then it has to be a hardshell case with all the strings loosened and such. They claim to be not responsible for headstocks cracking off... Happened to a friend of mine once.

http://aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/music_inst.html

Small instruments for carry on baggage. Some of the people are forgiving though and they'll just let it slide depending on how bulky it is.

Hope that helps
Quote by EyeForgot
I dont like death
except DETH

Rust in piece, Brennan.

you don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

i crossed my arms and felt like a pretzel named sophie

The universe, man
No, it has to be a certain size (about the length and width of a small duffle bag). At least where im from...

Either way, you'll definitely want a hard case to put your guitar in.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!