Out of curiosity, are there any people here who've had experience with the Agile 9-string guitars? Share your stories, if you're out there? I saw them and thought that'd be something cool just to muck around with, are they possible to play comfortably without super-long fingers?
Barely tried a seven.
An eigth seem like too much, and nine is just lame.
The neck would be insanely thick, and it's not worth it in my opinion.
Does it have 2 added low strings and 1 more high string, or 3 added low strings?
Quote by Amaseng
Does it have 2 added low strings and 1 more high string, or 3 added low strings?

It's a curious instrument really, comes tuned to EABEADGBE. Bottom two strings tuned to the bass register and the top 7 to standard guitar tuning. Probably would be best used for solo jazz comping or during a bass solo or similar. For most shred and metal applications a drop tuned 8 string gets the same range and that kind of application would be considerably less likely to need the sort of things that would be available with the bass tuned strings.

That being said I wouldn't rule out any use and I've never used one myself, I'd be intrigued to get my hands on one, I'd tune it differently if I owned one though, 8 string plus an extra high one.

Edit: The more I think about it the more sense it would make to tune it to EADEADGBE for the solo jazz ideas, that way just about any chord you would normally use would have a counterpart bass note in the same position, just barring across the lower strings.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jan 1, 2012,
Quote by JB95
Barely tried a seven.
An eigth seem like too much, and nine is just lame.

It's about the range, bro. Personally, I've tried 8 strings that were playable, and some weren't, but I have small hands anyways. It might just be something else to get used to. Lots of people use extended range guitars for no real reason, especially in the lamer genres of metal. But I have no idea how one turns down that kind of range in general, when literally the only limit has become your imagination.

They're nuts, 30" scales and the factory gauge strings are 9-12-15-22-30-40-54-74-90. There's one set of non-bass strings that has the 90 string, and they're on the Rondo website. I imagine you'd just have to use bass strings if you wanted a thicker 9th string.

Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Is that the one with varying scale length?

There's "multi-scale" ones where the frets and pickups are slanted for some reason, but there's also a few proper 9 strings there.

3 added low strings. I'm not exactly sure how they're tuned but the Rondo site says
Guitar is setup to tune as a bass on the lower 2 strings (E, A). Then with standard 7 string guitar turning on the upper 6 strings (B, E, A, D, G, B, E). However a variety of tunings is possible.
so I assume it's E, A, B, E, A, D, G, B, E
I always thought the slanted frets were for intonation. They allow you to play chords that are perfectly in tune.
Quote by Iommianity
Lots of people use extended range guitars for no real reason, especially in the lamer genres of metal. But I have no idea how one turns down that kind of range in general, when literally the only limit has become your imagination.

I watched instructional videos by Tosin Abasi on Jamplay, makes me wish I had his skills so I could get an eight or nine-string and just run wild. I've just got a seven-string this christmas, but I'd love an eight or nine just to play with. Need to win lotto so I can get a pimped-out shed and all the different guitars I want so I can just live on the guitar!
There's better things to snowboard with than fretboards
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Iommianity
I always thought the slanted frets were for intonation. They allow you to play chords that are perfectly in tune.

They may well be, I wouldn't know, they just looked a bit awkward to me, and I wouldn't buy one for the sake of trying it out. Extra strings maybe, but not other strange stuff like multi-scaling
I'm more of a function over form guy. I agree, I would never buy a guitar with fanned frets just to try it, seems like too big of a change to drop the cash. But if you had never tried a guitar with a Floyd, I probably wouldn't recommend a guitar with one either, unless you were familiar with them. If fanned frets are as useful as they sound, I think I'd try and adapt.
Last edited by Iommianity at Jan 1, 2012,
On the subject of fanned frets:

Frets are fanned for two main reasons:

1 - Better intonation as already guessed

2 - Improved string tension, the lower strings have the extended scale to help with string flap and tonal flub, the higher strings are shorter to get less tension so you have easier bends and the strings don't break every five seconds.

Many people who've tried them say, and I'm inclined to believe them, that the fanning actually improves the ergonomics of the guitar, helps with wrist position as the further you get away from the body the more the hand needs to be angled which is more natural than trying to keep your wrist in the standard guitar playing position.

Pickups are slanted to keep the tone as close to "standard" neck position across all strings.

Quote by staceap
so I assume it's E, A, B, E, A, D, G, B, E

Yes, exactly, as stock at least.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.