So I'm getting a new amp (you may have seen my other thread about it), and I like the look of the Jet City JCA2112RC and the Vox VT80+ (both similarly priced). Has anyone got either, and if so, what do you think of it? Obviously, I'm going to have to try them before buying, but how well do these amps perform (tone-wise) at low volumes?

Of course, these amps are different in terms of what they do: one's an all tube driven amp, and one's a modelling valvestate amp, but they're both up for consideration for me.

Thanks!
Henry
Last edited by HenryB at Jan 30, 2012,
If you want versitility get the vox if you want a good sounding rock amp get the JCA2112
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've used both VT's and the JC and I have to say the JC was a much better sounding amp. That being said, I much prefer the higher wattage JCA's, since I don't like the sound of EL84s much.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks, guys! Having never bought a tube amp before, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I assume the EL84's can be changed to better sounding tubes? Are different amps only 'compatible' with certain tubes, or are they universal?
nope the only tubes you can run are el84. eurotubes have had a low power el84 made called the el844, but some amps can not handle them for reasons I do not know.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm, okay - thanks

Has anyone tried the Jet City JCA5212RC? If it was your money, would you choose it over the JCA2112RC?
I would - but it's not my decision to make. Go try both. EL84s are quite different tonally from 6L6's. Neither is better, but my personal preference is the 6L6.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by HenryB
How giggable would the 50 watt be as oppose to the 20 watt?

Depends what sorta tones you're going for: cleaner, go for 50, grittier, more power tube distortion, go for 20.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have been looking at this alot lately. I dont know if I can achieve a metal sound with a boost though.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
As I play mostly classic rock, I'd need the distortion - but I have an OCD pedal and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. Would these do the job for classic rock tones?
Quote by HenryB
As I play mostly classic rock, I'd need the distortion - but I have an OCD pedal and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. Would these do the job for classic rock tones?

Yep, both can do Guns level distortion, no problem. They don't even need a boost.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
i had a few JCA2112RC's (lol, two defectives), the third i had for a month. i was really disappointed in it. that is rare for me, because i like to have a lot of amps around, but it didn't keep me entertained. i wasn't expecting brootz, which it DOES NOT GIVE, even when boosted with an od.

i am sure modded and with new tubes it could sound great, as i have heard a few of those clips, but keep in mind some people do post processing. that is not a fair representation.

never owned anything made by Vox.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i had a few JCA2112RC's (lol, two defectives), the third i had for a month. i was really disappointed in it. that is rare for me, because i like to have a lot of amps around, but it didn't keep me entertained. i wasn't expecting brootz, which it DOES NOT GIVE, even when boosted with an od.

i am sure modded and with new tubes it could sound great, as i have heard a few of those clips, but keep in mind some people do post processing. that is not a fair representation.

The lower watt JCAs aren't supposed to be "brootz" amps - they're supposed to be rock amps (although, they do get pretty gainy).

TS: Can we get an idea of what kind of tone you're aiming for here?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by i_am_metalhead
The lower watt JCAs aren't supposed to be "brootz" amps - they're supposed to be rock amps (although, they do get pretty gainy).

TS: Can we get an idea of what kind of tone you're aiming for here?

i dont know if you were referring to something else, unless you didn't read what was in my post all that well. i continued to let people that it doesn't get brootz. and even added w/OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Can we get an idea of what kind of tone you're aiming for here?

I'm looking for a classic rock style tone. Led Zeppelin would probably be the heaviest it gets - I'm not into metal, really.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Maybe you got three lemons? CatharsisStudio got great metal tones out of his JCA20H.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i need br00tz.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
i need br00tz.

Make a thread about it then
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Make a thread about it then

crap man, I live in south bend too LOL. totally off subject, but small world.

I apologize for talking about my needs in other peoples threads. I will try not to do this anymore.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
crap man, I live in south bend too LOL. totally off subject, but small world.

I apologize for talking about my needs in other peoples threads. I will try not to do this anymore.

HOW BOUT THIS WEATHER, EH?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
HOW BOUT THIS WEATHER, EH?

just shoveled the sidewalk...crazy out there!
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Raijouta
Maybe you got three lemons? CatharsisStudio got great metal tones out of his JCA20H.

i remember that demo. it was awesome. seemed like a decent amount of processing though, IIRC. that was actually why i bought one lol.

the two defectives, plug in, no turn on. no light, nothing. checked tubes swapped tubes, nothing. sent it back. got another one, plugged it in, turned it on and pop, it died as well. maybe the third time is a charm... lol. at least it was fully functioning it didn't sound good to me. especially because i have and had quite a few of other amps sitting around, and it couldn't do anything better than anything else i had.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I mean it's not the best amp ever for everything.

But it's cheap and does somethings well.

although the one I bought from mclaw sounded way better then any of the ones I played at guitar center.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i just wish I could try some of the budget tube amps. guitar center here only carries vox and marshall 5 and the peavey 6506 combo.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by AcousticMirror
I mean it's not the best amp ever for everything.

But it's cheap and does somethings well.

although the one I bought from mclaw sounded way better then any of the ones I played at guitar center.

at the time i had a tweaker and a dual terror. i didn't really need it. and i wanted another Orange cab.

however i still didn't think it was anything great. it got way over-hyped.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
at the time i had a tweaker and a dual terror. i didn't really need it. and i wanted another Orange cab.

however i still didn't think it was anything great. it got way over-hyped.

what about somebody that has a $300 budget if that was the case?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The lower watt Jet Cities are not good for any metal beyond Judas Priest, even with an OD pedal. I don't care what people want to tell me.

The higher wattage ones, however (excluding the 5212rc), have the strength to rip your nuts off and force feed them to you as the rest of your limbs are slowly torn off and your body is turned inside out and your organs are fed to demon soldiers in Satan's army, all while you are playing it. Without a boost.

That said, TS: Since you stated that you are only playing classic rock, the 2112rc should do great for you. The Vox would be more versatile, but isn't all-tube so it wouldn't sound as awesome.