Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
After much thinking and debating, I feel my guitar building carreer has run its course. I am so tired and burnt out on making guitars, for very little profit and reward. What it comes down to, is i just down enjoy it very much anymore, and it is way more stress than anything, and its not worth it. So my plan is to finish up a few that i have going on right now, and call it quits after that.
This is truly sad to hear. Your advise here in the forums was very invaluable to me and other young builders as well im sure. I hope you do not give up on building instruments completely!
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Thanks for being understanding guys. I am not leaving the forum or anything. I am still going to be active here in the building forum. I just dont have any desire to build anymore. But i will still give advice.

Mintsauce,
I dont plan on making any at all. I still have a ton of wood though, so maybe sometime later in the year i might feel up to finishing off what i have left.
It'll be sad to not see you're work here anymore, but it's got to be something you enjoy. All the best for any future endeavours

Chur
I hope that after you take a long break you'll return to building guitars. At least one from time to time. I don't blame you for not wanting to make them one right after the other. That would get really old. You're too talented to just quit altogether.
i second zwf79 and not just cuz his avatar scares the hell out of me
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Sad news bro...Your work(PG) is what inspired me to take a stab at building. I will definitely miss those finished pics on that sweet green grass. Maybe once youve spent a bunch of time fishing & hunting youll find the desire to build again. The RG body I bought from you a few yrs back has become my favorite axe and I play it daily...
Peace
Jack
(MAGGOTBRAIN @ PG)
Quote by gib_ber
You really made some amazing instruments. Sad to hear that you're retiring. :/

+1

but could you make one final build to conclude your career? *falls on his knees* please!!!!!!!

btw (and i just noticed this) if you have an eBay account, is it yon3735? i saw a guitar that looked just like yours!
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Jan 2, 2012,
sad to hear, but as has been said its got to be something you enjoy. like brian said though, i do hope that after awhile you'll return to it in some way, just as a hobby, making one-off unique gorgeous guitars, because you have a true talent.

best wishes to you and your future endeavours though
I'm not a builder, but checking out your gallery it seems you're a very good luthier.

Well, it's always sad to read someone is retyiring, but as an "artisan" (even if not for something like instruments) I can understand your decision.

But I think that in 6-18 months you'll start again, maybe just for hobby.

Enjoy your life

And sorry for my bad english
Hey guys.
Now that i got thinking about it. I might do a farewell build. Probably nothing special. Most likely an explorer of course. But something closet to what really made my career successful. Basic KL explorer, EMGS, all black hardware. That is IF i can get myself to work on it without getting to frustrated.
Yeah it should be fun. If its not and you barely break even then it's not really worth it.

What part is most frustrating? Do you build first and then sell? Or do you have it 'sold' and then build?

Thanks for all the great builds.

Out of morbid curiosity what do you sell a typical explorer for?
What do you think youll do next?

edit: you are pretty young you can do whatever you please. You have all the money in the world. (time is money, and money is time. There is nothing more valuable than time. Two awesome Dark Side of the moon songs, time and money)
Last edited by divinorum69 at Jan 3, 2012,
This sucks

Your builds were a huge inspiration to me, I still go back from time to time to look at a few of em. I hope these last few are the best you've ever made

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I think you severely undersell yourself.

You put loads of the guitars on ebay for around the $5/600 mark, so it's no surprise you aren’t making a profit.

and all the guitars you are selling off cheap just have all the wood work and finishing done, no hardware electronics etc you would add a lot of value to your guitars by them simply being playable right out of the box.

I think you should work on a commission basis, set the base price at $1500 and right up a spec sheet of optional add ons that you are comfortable doing, no need to go crazy.

If you take on 2 builds at once, starting the second one half way through the first you won't be so depressed starting from scratch every time

It would be a great shame to see you give up.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Jan 5, 2012,
Hey Man, sorry to hear your retiring. Your explorers are awesome and your help valuable. The way I keep it fresh is to build different guitars, open a book and say that one next! Then there is the added incentive of tackling something new each time.
Respect your decision and understand your reasoning.
As Always..........

Sharp Tools To Ya..............Dessi
Quote by Absent Mind
I think you severely undersell yourself.

You put loads of the guitars on ebay for around the $5/600 mark, so it's no surprise you aren’t making a profit.

and all the guitars you are selling off cheap just have all the wood work and finishing done, no hardware electronics etc you would add a lot of value to your guitars by them simply being playable right out of the box.

I think you should work on a commission basis, set the base price at $1500 and right up a spec sheet of optional add ons that you are comfortable doing, no need to go crazy.

If you take on 2 builds at once, starting the second one half way through the first you won't be so depressed starting from scratch every time

It would be a great shame to see you give up.

Well i used to do only completed guitars. 1200 seemed to be the most i could get out of them.

Like i mentioned before, I really cant/dont like to do commissions. Every time i would take one on, I would get nervous and mess something up, and have to refund money because i couldnt get it right.

There is just so much pressure when i do that.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Well i used to do only completed guitars. 1200 seemed to be the most i could get out of them.

Like i mentioned before, I really cant/dont like to do commissions. Every time i would take one on, I would get nervous and mess something up, and have to refund money because i couldnt get it right.

There is just so much pressure when i do that.

If you don't mind an opinion, maybe your problem is you built too much in a row. Maybe you just need a break. If you don't want to do commissions that's fine, but why not try a few low pressure ones from here? Keep that 1200 dollar price tag, and give yourself a 6-8 month window to complete it. Based on some of the builds I've seen you do that's an exceptionally long window.

My point being is maybe you just built way too much way too fast and saw little benefit from doing it. Must've seemed very hopeless. I implore you to not retire, but take a pretty sizable break.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Sorry to hear this, your builds have always looked top notch. And like others have said good luck in all your future endevours.

LONG LIVE EXPLORERBUILDER
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by valennic
If you don't mind an opinion, maybe your problem is you built too much in a row. Maybe you just need a break. If you don't want to do commissions that's fine, but why not try a few low pressure ones from here? Keep that 1200 dollar price tag, and give yourself a 6-8 month window to complete it. Based on some of the builds I've seen you do that's an exceptionally long window.

My point being is maybe you just built way too much way too fast and saw little benefit from doing it. Must've seemed very hopeless. I implore you to not retire, but take a pretty sizable break.

I cant do that though. Being OCD, I cant leave something undone or unfinished. If i have the time, I will work on it and get it all done fast. That is a major downfall of having it. I cant just do something here and there on it. It doesnt satisfy.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I cant do that though. Being OCD, I cant leave something undone or unfinished. If i have the time, I will work on it and get it all done fast. That is a major downfall of having it. I cant just do something here and there on it. It doesnt satisfy.

Well I'm not saying leave a project there for months

I'm just saying take more time to do what you already know how to do. Just, really try to experience it for the first time again. In order to do this you'd need to take quite a while off, but I'd say it's worth trying at the very least. If not, you've been one hell of an asset to the world of luthiers and you will be severely missed

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

That's unfortunate, I've always liked following your threads. Such clean work and I love the KL Xplorers just on principle. I've felt the same way where as soon as a project is done, starting from scratch is a daunting task. The was I got around that was starting a project, working for a while, starting another, and then so on until I had a pretty good system of starting new projects and finishing old ones. This never felt like starting from scratch, since there was always something part finished, or almost finished that kept me excited. This has worked for me for everything from woodworking to songwriting. Either way, good luck to you, I hope you take a good break and come back eventually. Its a shame to see such talent redirected to things less important than guitars...like everything
That's sad to hear. I loved your builds. Hopefully you just need a break and will find joy in building guitars again. Otherwise, good luck in all of your future endeavors.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Man, Just take a long break. I think you'll come back to it sooner or later. And when you do, don't build so many in a row like you have been doing. Space them out a little. Even though I love Explorers, maybe you need to mix it up a little and build some other shaped guitars. Maybe even try building a bass. Just some things to think about.
Page 1 of 2