So my band got a Peavey PV 1200 Stereo Power Amp from my friend's uncle. I've never used one before, and I was wondering what they're for. I originally thought it was for use with an amp + speaker cab but figured I'd ask on here to clear up the confusion

EDIT: It'd also be nice to know how to use it as well :X
Last edited by jengel13 at Jan 1, 2012,
The most ideal use for a power amp is to use it with a preamp or a mixer.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
use it to power PA speakers. You will need a mixer at very minimum.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay, that's convenient because we just got a small mixer and we're getting PA speakers soon.
I'm gonna say, it's much easier to use powered speakers than a power amp/passive speakers deal. It cuts down on space used in cars and it makes setting up that bit quicker.

It's cool that you have a free power amp (also to add to the thread, I'm gonna assume the power amp you have is the type that is to be used in a PA system, not that type that would be good as part of a guitar amp setup ) but if you can get hold of powered speakers when you buy some it'll make your job a lot easier!
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Got a free power amp... now what?

Free Power has his own signature model amp?
I gotta try that out!