I've had a cheap POS for a year now and my parents got me a squire for christmas. It's not that much better than the one I had so were going to take it back and I'll pick one out.

All I like is metal. I want it and the amp to be pretty decent.

Biggest thing I don't like about mine is it is it feels too long. When one string is vibrating it overpowers the others so you can barely hear them. I want one where tapping and hammer ons work good. The squire was better than my old one at that but not good enough. Tapping was still too quiet. The squire felt easier to play for some reason too.

Any suggestions on what I should look for? I was just going to go into the shop and get help and try some out.
Also, maybe a 7 string? Some of my favorite songs are for a 7 string and I could still play 6 string songs. Or would the 7th get in the way?
Quote by LeeAlacoque
I've had a cheap POS for a year now and my parents got me a squire for christmas. It's not that much better than the one I had so were going to take it back and I'll pick one out.

All I like is metal. I want it and the amp to be pretty decent.

Biggest thing I don't like about mine is it is it feels too long. When one string is vibrating it overpowers the others so you can barely hear them. I want one where tapping and hammer ons work good. The squire was better than my old one at that but not good enough. Tapping was still too quiet. The squire felt easier to play for some reason too.

Any suggestions on what I should look for? I was just going to go into the shop and get help and try some out.

From 311:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps (guitars) out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

^ Read that, then edit your first post and answer as many of the questions as possible. You will get better help that way. EDIT: Never mind, it's exactly what Ippon just posted

If your local shops stock them, then Roland Cubes are fantastic little amps. As for guitars yeah you could definitely do better than a squire, especially if you only want to play metal. Ibanez are one of the best cheap/value for money companies (in general) but really you should just look around and see if anything catches your eye. Then pick it up and see if it feels nice to play.
Also yeah 7 strings are great. Takes a tiny bit of getting used to (differs for each person) but yeah you can pretty easily play it as a 6 string by ignoring the 7th, just gotta train your mind so you know which strings to aim for.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Ippon
From 311:

Budget? - Not sure. My parents are going to buy it but I can pay for some if it's expensive. I want it to be good enough to play any song and sound sick

Genres? - All metal. Favorite bands are Trivium and Anaal Nathrakh. Other bands I like are similar to Trivium. I like black metal and some death metal

New or Used? - Want new

Home or Gig? - home

Closest City? - Calgary, Alberta

Current Gear? - Guitar and amp I got from Sears(lol) for $200. Exactly the same shape as a squire. Sounds like crap

Last edited by LeeAlacoque at Jan 1, 2012,
Ibanez RG2EX1 is a highly lauded intro level metal gtr. Also, practice and improved technique will go a long way to improving your tone. A good player would still make your Squier scream. Not knocking your equipment question...it took me some time to understand it wasn't the gear that made me weak in areas of my playing ability, it was my knowledge, technique and dedication to practice. Happy gtr hunting and good luck!
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
So when I go into the shop is there anything I should tell the guy other than what I've said here?

Is that Ibanez as long as a squire? Because I hate the angle my wrist is at at the top frets
Last edited by LeeAlacoque at Jan 1, 2012,
Are you sure that it isn't the profile of the neck that messes up your angle. I feel uncomfortable playing on thicker or "chunkier" necks. Thing is, most shorter scale guitars (like the Telecaster) Won't be as "metal" (unless you go for the Jim Root one).
Gear

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Fender Stratocaster HW1
Squier Vint mod P-bass
Boss DS-2 distortion
electro-harmonics "Small Clone"
Roland GA-60 combo amplifier (nickname "Nap attack")
Look into trying to get an ESP LTD. Even the 10 series are good but the 50 and 100 series are ideal for a tight budget. For the amp I suggest a Peavey Vypyr 15 but if you can then get the 30 as you can use the sanpera pedal with it.
Canada. I was just watching some youtube videos of the razorback and people were saying it costs a lot. How much is one?
If your looking for a 7 string, you can't beat the ibanez RG7321 for the price. U could pick one up for less than $300 used.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 2, 2012,
I saw an ad on YouTube for razorbacks and I went to the website and they have Razorback 7's for $550. Is that a really good deal for one or do they usually sell for that?
if your dead set on a razorback, i mean go for it. just note that the 7 string is huge. i know you will be expecting a big guitar but the body is really massive so just know that.

im usually against any razorback due to the name>quality issue
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I've heard they're really good. Is it just the body that's huge? How long is the neck compared to a squire?
Fret access on the razorback isn't amazing, the necks are pretty big, but they're a soft v shape so they're quite comfy.

Everyones pretty skeptical about deans QC, and rightly so, i can think of like 20 other guitars that are cheaper than their "mediocre" model and don't have a LFR and a dime bucker. As long as you try before you buy you should be fine though.

Scale length should 24.75, bit shorter than your average strat, but length of the neck doesn't make the slightest difference to upper fret access really. It's all just technique...