Does the idea of this really ever bother anyone? I mean theres a bit of a problem with thieves, drunk assholes who throw stuff, and wanna-be roadies who might wreck things trying to 'help', and other stuff. I never really thought of this until I started saving up for a rack system and thought "Ok this things ****ing expensive, am I ever going to bring it out of the house: I.E. the reason I bought it".

I mean at bar gigs I guess it'd be alright since you're in a bar, but I remember my old band where playing at some garage that like two people turned into a little concert area, and right after he was done playing like 5 people where walking around stage who weren't even in the band while they where putting their stuff away. It was also a pretty shitty neighborhood to.

It just seems like starting out and playing random gigs with expensive crap might draw some unwanted attention.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 1, 2012,
go to the gym for twelve months. cardio, upper body, and abs. guarantee nobody ****s with you, ever.
Quote by Spaztikko
go to the gym for twelve months. cardio, upper body, and abs. guarantee nobody ****s with you, ever.

That'll be true if you're looking straight at them at the time. And they're unarmed. And they're neither stupid nor crazy. And they have no military or martial arts training.

It will not, however, stop people from picking up and walking away with your gear when you're not watching over it.

Best idea is just to not play places where people are going to rob you.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
get a good insurance policy

unless you have a b2. never travel with that, put it in a safe and don't play it ever cause it's a work of art, not a guitar
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Well, My Opinion..

The normal average Joe doesn't know how much all that stuff costs anyway... It's all just shiny, cool, expensive stuff to them...

The statistic that 90% of people are good 9% aren't but are too scared or smart to do anything so.. that leaves 1% that you have to worry about doing something to your gear on purpose...

what you have to worry about is the other guys.. they just want to help and could knock something over while "Just trying to help"...

Good Quality Music gear is pretty tuff, and is gonna work fine, even if it gets scratched...

do what you can to take care of your stuff.. Hard cases or at least covers, try to explain to folks that "While I appreciate you trying to help, I can get it..." We got a band wife like that... she wants to help, and starts coiling up cables and stuffing them where ever they fit, or closing up cases and bags before we're done with them... I finally just had to explain it to her... She understood...

or you just buy old stuff to gig with..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
The only times I've been worried for my gear is when drunks dance/stumble too close to the band, or when some drunk becomes a "member" of the band.

So pay attention to others, don't allow/invite people up and get insurance if you can. I can understand the worry, I used to be super paranoid when I started gigging with my Mesa Mk V and Godin Passion. Now, not so much.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Generally try not to worry.
If it's a gig where multiple bands are on there is always that fear that another band are going to, either accidentally or intentionally, take your gear. Just keep your eye on your stuff.

There's no point in having a real nice amp if you're the only one enjoying it!

All you can do to avoid going through some kind of stress is to keep everything in your sight, and in some cases be a bit trusting. I played a gig where the disabled toilet was used to store all of the gear of three bands (aside from the house gear which was used by two of the bands) which wasn't locked or anything, and just happened to be very out of the way, anyone could have gone in there, took some of our gear and walked off.

But none of it was stolen.
...well...the guitarist in the band I was in did take a bottle of wine that one of the other bands left in there...
There's a quote from Steve Jones during the recording of Anarchy in the UK - he was using a high-end Vox amp, but the grill on the front had been torn off. Someone asked him why he'd damaged it, and he answered "Well, it had the name of the band I nicked it from written on it..."

Insurance is always the best bet, because it can cover stuff being taken out of a vehicle after the show, or if you get that important phone call and have to be outside the bar for half an hour.
Something that does work if you need to leave gear in a corner of a room for some time - if there's a lot of bands playing and you've got no way of moving it out of there - is to pass a bike lock through the handles of your amp/speaker/guitar case and snap it shut. If someone wants to take any part of it, they have to either cut the lock or try and move it all together...and if they manage that, fair play. :P:
Quote by Hail
get a good insurance policy

unless you have a b2. never travel with that, put it in a safe and don't play it ever cause it's a work of art, not a guitar

A flatted second degree? Locrian scale?

What are you talking about?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
dont buy expensive gear if you arent going to use it. the things you get are TOOLS to get the job done. just watch your stuff and things should be fine.

i doubt anyone would ever steal anything honestly. like someone said, the general public has no idea what these things are and what they are worth and i doubt they have the balls to try and walk up on stage and steal an amp or guitar.

the exception i see here is if you have a vintage piece of gear thats hard to come by. like if you had an old echoplex i would understand not bringing it to a gig. plus they tend to break down sometimes so i would use it in the studio or at home instead. but again, they are tools. eric johnson uses expensive vintage gear on stage all the time because it gives him the tone he wants. i use a vintage 69' traynor bassmaster (basically a good 59' bassman clone). although they arent too expensive but they arent exactly easy to come by either.

i would say the most you have to worry about is getting drinks spilled on your stuff.
When we've gigged at parties we've had to watch out for damage more so than theft. At one party we played, the drunk girlfriend of the host helped herself to the drums during a break and ended up putting a few serious divots in the snare head and one of the toms. It was kinda tense.

The people ya gotta watch out for are the would-be musicians who "...used to be in a band" and the drunk chicks. Drunk chicks seem to think that because they have tits they somehow have a free pass to the universe.

I've never had a problem with bars. The stage is usually considered a fairly sacred place, and large sized security staff are usually vigilant.

It should be ok as long as you don't take a smoke break all at once or use amps/PA's for beer coasters.
Sit near your gear at all times without looking like you own it. See someone come up and try to take something? Feed em' their molars.
Honestly, I worry about the same thing. I've always kept to myself with the guitar, but I might have an opportunity to join a new band, and that might involve playing out once in a while. I have about $12k invested in gear so far, and I'm looking at putting in another $8k this year to make my rig exactly the way I want it.

I've had substantial investments ruined by idiots before. It all stems down to the fact that people don't respect what isn't theirs; especially if they can't even respect what is. It's the same feeling you get in your stomach when you walk out to your car in a parking lot to find that some schmuck in a totally trashed pickup truck parked 1' away from your car. If they don't give a crap about their vehicle, what's stopping them from not caring about yours when they open their door?

Part of this is clientele. Ask beforehand how the crowds usually are. A rack system enclosure will go a long way. Don't buy a cheap exposed unit out of tubing and rails- get a nice enclosure with a lockable cover on the front. As for the amp, a live-in case would go a long way, but it might have to be vented to keep the amp at a reasonable working temperature. Tubes like heat, but too much is definitely a bad thing.

Another good investment might be in hiring a friend to guard the equipment for you. Free cover charge + some decent hourly rate might come in handy. Plus, they could help load things up too. People will steal whatever isn't bolted down (and even then, they'll still figure out a way to steal it).
It's sad that we have to invest in safety precautions because people are fundamentally careless idiots. I mean, wouldn't it be nice if we never had to lock our doors, have a password, or anything like that? Yeah. People really piss me off.
Last edited by CV334 at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Samzawadi
There's a quote from Steve Jones during the recording of Anarchy in the UK - he was using a high-end Vox amp, but the grill on the front had been torn off. Someone asked him why he'd damaged it, and he answered "Well, it had the name of the band I nicked it from written on it..."

If I remember correctly, it was David Bowie's band that the Sex Pistols stole all their gear from. I remember reading an article that must have been written 15(?) years ago in which David Bowie finally forgave the Sex Pistols for stealing his gear (The story goes that they just took most of it out of the back of a truck after a show in London).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi