so i've recently gotten over my obsession with ridiculous amounts of gain and come to the realization that i can get the tone i'm after by backing off a little bit with the gain on my mxr full bore to get a little bit clearer of a tone.

i'm after a nice OD pedal to put over the dirty channel of my VHT special 6 ultra. i intend on using my mxr at bedroom levels and the OD wen i have the amp cranked. so i'm looking for a pedal that won't break the bank (i guess $150 is absolute max) and will give me a nice, crisp amount of drive. the amp isn't a very high gain amp as it is so the pedal needs to add a pretty good amount of gain to get me to where i want to be at.

also, i'd like it to be something i can just walk into guitar center and pick up. and finally, as great as tube screamers are, i don't think that is quite what i'm looking for. just want something that will leave me with a tight overdrive that i can use for some metal
i wish you didn't add that last part in. a ts9 can go a long way, and an 808 can go even longer, but i do understand that they are for a certain OD tone that not everyone is looking for. but you'd be surprised how thick a modded ts9 sounds, both the analog man and the keeley mods are great pedals.

but anyways, although i've yet to use one on my own rig, i used a fulltone OCD pedal through a fender twin a few years younger than my own and it was pretty nice. it's a simple pedal too which is always a plus. also the boss blues driver is a nice surprise as well, it might not be the BEST, but for your price range it's pretty good.

just go to GC and try them out, careful who you talk to there though, sometimes you'll get the pros and other times you'll get the guys that are like..."here let me show you this line 6"

good luck and have fun

E
OCD. very solid for about 130. most GCs ive seen have em. ive never heard one that sounded bad in a setup. are there better? sure. but ive seen this one a lot and its always solid.

last time was a les paul custom shop through an OCD into a Vox ac30 handwired with celestion blues.

my lord what a sexy sounding drive
i like the way you think ikey.....

i like the way you think

i'm actually just more of a fender guy rather than a Vox, but an AC30 will be in my lineup eventually
the only thing i'm concerned with with the tubescreamer is that i've only ever really seen them used to boost an already heavily over driven amp. my amp doesn't have all that much gain to begin with so i need something to add the extra gain on top of what little my amp puts out.

if the tubescreamer can do that then i'll absolutely give it a shot.

and i've definitely heard a lot of good things about the OCD and it is high on my list of things to try
Quote by andrerist
the only thing i'm concerned with with the tubescreamer is that i've only ever really seen them used to boost an already heavily over driven amp. my amp doesn't have all that much gain to begin with so i need something to add the extra gain on top of what little my amp puts out.

if the tubescreamer can do that then i'll absolutely give it a shot.

and i've definitely heard a lot of good things about the OCD and it is high on my list of things to try

There are a lot of tube screamer clones out there that can definitely do a higher gain overdrive. But if you like the OCD you might also like the PlimSoul. It can do the bluesy rock all the way to a heavier rock/metal.