Alright, so in the fun adventures of song writing I've found that a bassline I've had in my head for a while calls for a 5 string bass. Unfortunately I don't have a 5 string bass, and I don't really want to buy one either so I tried down tuning to B E A D and it worked... horribly. The strings where obnoxiously loose and buzzing. I don't really care how it sounds because I'm just trying to get the notes figured out, but this was just ridiculous.

Is there a work around for tuning to BEAD (lowest 4 strings on a 5 string) on a 4 string bass without the horrible looseness and buzzing?
Buy a 5 string set of strings and use the thicker 4
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
A thicker string set should solve the looseness issue. Go for something in the likes of 65-130's. Keep in mind, thicker strings might not fit in the bridge or saddle.
Try getting a heavier gauge string set for that. I dunno too much about drop tunings though, all my stuff stays in standard.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
set up your guitar every time you do a dramatic tuning change
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Heavier strings, maybe adjust the action a little bit? I'd suggest a truss rod adjustment too, but that's probably something better left to the professionals...like someone else said, you might wanna get it set up if you're seriously considering staying in that tuning.
If you don't want to completely change the setup of your guitar with different strings & the necessary truss rod/bridge adjustments etc. then just retuning is never going to work very well.

If it's just a temporary thing to play around with from time to time though, do you have a multi-effects unit with a pitch shifter? You said you aren't too worried about getting the sound right at the moment, so you could use that to get the notes you want while you're just playing without retuning the guitar.

You'd still need to go with the full set up if you wanted it to sound good for a recording though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 2, 2012,
Thicker Strings, both nut and bridge saddle filing to fit the thicker strings and intonation adjustment to deal with the new tension. Baring in mind you'd not be able to tune it back to normal standard again, the new strings wouldn't allow it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Do I absolutely have to get new strings or could I just adjust the truss rod?

you obviously don't know what you're doing, so get new strings
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
you obviously don't know what you're doing, so actually get your head around what you're after, whether E or B tuning is more important to you, and come back

fixed
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I would highly suggest getting it professionally set up for BEAD tuning if you want to do that. Just remember, you're gonna need another setup if you want to go back to EADG tuning.

Honestly... if a low B is your thing and you're not up to the task of a set-up... save up a bit and get a 5 string. Check out an SX: http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html

For about the same price it would be for new strings and a pro setup on your 4 string, you could snag one of the 5-string Jazzes... which are very good quality for their price.

On a related note... Has anyone played a Warwick Vampyre? Holy crap, i played a Vampyre 'Dark Lord' over my holiday break and it was ridiculous... it's factory set-up to be F#BEA... played it with a SUNN 1200s pushing 2 Peavey TVX 4x12's and it rumbled guts!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Vampyre's are amazing. Thefitz picked one up for $200, simply because the shop thought it was broken, and didn't know how to rewire.

Seth Horan uses them too, they may look like metal basses, but they're very general purpose. The non Dark Lords at least
Since you dont care how it sounds you can get your "notes figured out" for whatever it is you have in mind in standard tuning. You have plenty of Bs in standard tuning, the lowest is at the 7th fret of your E string. Or the 2nd fret of your A string.

Now I can see you wanting the low B so you can play your entire bass line on just the B string so it sounds really super deep and has a consistent tone.

I say don't waste money setting up your 4 string to have a large gauge low B. Because then you don't have a bass for standard tuning. Keep saving for a 5.
If you have a 24 fret bass, you could tune BEAD (use a 5 string set) and your highest note would be equivalent to the 19th fret on a G string. Not such a big loss, especially if you play lots of down-tuned stuff.
Quote by rageahol
If you have a 24 fret bass, you could tune BEAD (use a 5 string set) and your highest note would be equivalent to the 19th fret on a G string. Not such a big loss, especially if you play lots of down-tuned stuff.

No you can't...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
No you can't...

Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90

Most bass bridges AND nuts are not cut to fit the B string in the E position. You'd still need to make a major modification to the bass.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yes... but you still can
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
Yes... but you still can

Well yes you CAN. But not as simply as he seems to state it.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Ahem, to end this. Yes Any 4 string bass can be tuned to BEAD, BUT! it is a major transition requiring at least a new set of strings specifically sized for the job, in addition, the nut might need to be widened, the bridge holes filed to fit the strings as well, the neck relief might need to be adjusted via the truss rod (don't attempt this blind!), the saddles and action of said saddles might need to be adjusted as well.

That said, the opinion and feel/handling of doing said change to a 4 stringer varies between each bass and player. All you can do is take each step carefully and slowly and no when to stop if something feels wrong. Friends and guitar techs can help as well.
Ok am I the only pearson here that can get 45-105s to BEAD with out it being shity? i am starting to worry about my bass!
Quote by andreww1996
Ok am I the only pearson here that can get 45-105s to BEAD with out it being shity? i am starting to worry about my bass!

You just don't know it's shitty yet.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by andreww1996

My Steve Harris strings are ok in drop B.

If you like it, then there's not a problem.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
My Steve Harris strings are ok in drop B.

If you like it, then there's not a problem.

Those are like .115? I saw them at the local GC and considered buying them for my P bass for C standard.

Though I think I might just go ahead and make it bead and be done with it.

Did you ever find a 6x10?

As for the 6x10 my funds failed me so I never ended up getting one. I'm still a bit about it but it'll just have to wait.
It's still on my list though.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
Yes... but you still can

Exactly right, it wont sit perfectly, but it isnt always critical. I put thicker strings on my 6 string guitar and didnt really worry about it and its ok once the strings are tuned up.

When you do that you may need to tune it, play it a little, then re tune, but after that it is usually good.
Another note, my Warwicks bridge has the same saddles on the E and B strings (its a 5 string). Same size and all.

edit. oh shit there was posts after this post (that i got the quote from). my bad
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Last edited by Cantplay4penuts at Jan 5, 2012,