E|-3
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
The first chord is technically a dyad. Without further notes it could be a Cm. It could also be a maj7. It could also be Eb. It could be a whole heap of chords, anything that has an Eb and a G in it.

The second chord is called Cm7.

Otherwise the chord name is determined by the notes and where the root is, not by its position on the fretboard/way it is played.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^ what makes the 2nd chord a Cm7? I'm curious to know. Just starting to understand chords. I've got some kind of a grip over 7th chords already.

But yeah, I thought that would root in G, I can also spot its 2 octaves, a minor 3rd and a b5. Wouldn't that be like a Gdim?

Please correct me if I suck

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot, it also has a 4th. I don't know that much about 4ths, but as we already have the 3 notes (root + minor 3rd + b5) that make the basic chord, wouldn't that then be like a Gdimadd4?
Last edited by fc89konkari at Jan 2, 2012,
minor 7 intervals: 1, b3, 5, b7

notes: C, Eb, G, Bb

The G's on the E strings are omissible. There's already one on the D string. Keep it if it sounds good, but yeah.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Ok, yeah I got it. Thanks a lot!

But is it "not allowed" to think it as a Gdimadd4 or something like that (G based)?
Gdim is G Bb Db

Since there's no Db... yeah. Gdimadd4 would probably sound like crap anyway with the minor 2nd interval between C (the 4) and Db.

It's also a super common shape for a minor 7th chord (except you usually don't use the E strings).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥