Heyy guys
Im going to try bump up my bass practice. Ive looked at the FAQ and its suggested exersizes. So, basicly. What do you guys do do warm up? What do you do to practice? How many hours do you play a day? What colour underwear do you wear?How many hours do you reccomend to play a day/week?

Thanks
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
As boring as its sounds...

1. Scales and arppegio practice, usually moving through the circle of fourths into two octaves.
2. Then I usually move onto songs or skills I'm trying to accomplish Right now for instance I am working on a comp line for Stella by Starlight as well as a blues line for a song my friend wrote.
3. How much? I try to get in a hour a day if possible. I also play once a week with my blues group (2 - 3 hours) and a few hours a week with a jazz group on top of that.
4. Hahahahaha. Depends on the day.
5. A very wise teacher once said its not how much but the quality of your practice. A half hour of focused practice towards a goal or skill building will yield more than 3 hours of unfocused goofing around on your instrument.
Quote by anarkee
As boring as its sounds...

1. Scales and arppegio practice, usually moving through the circle of fourths into two octaves.
2. Then I usually move onto songs or skills I'm trying to accomplish Right now for instance I am working on a comp line for Stella by Starlight as well as a blues line for a song my friend wrote.
3. How much? I try to get in a hour a day if possible. I also play once a week with my blues group (2 - 3 hours) and a few hours a week with a jazz group on top of that.
4. Hahahahaha. Depends on the day.
5. A very wise teacher once said its not how much but the quality of your practice. A half hour of focused practice towards a goal or skill building will yield more than 3 hours of unfocused goofing around on your instrument.

Thats a ton loads more then what i play. I goof around for like half an hour a day or so on average. Its a new year, might aswell try actually achieve something...for once. Also, 4 helped my studies greatly.
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
The only thing I think I should add is that practicing everyday considerably helps. Stopping for 1 or 2 days will leave you behind.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
yeah, i find it hard to get motivation. Its something i carried over from playing guitar. I played guitar for 3 and a half or so years before i got my bass 6 or so months ago and i still have absolutly nothing to show for it. Even after the lessons and all. I only just started going to a dude for lessons who is showing me better technique, something i previously wasnt taught.

Im hoping by joining a band and 'walking into the deep end' ill be given that motivation to play. Im just starting to kick the playing up a notch to be good enougth for someone's standards...
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
When I had the time and the neighbors I practiced 2-3 hours a day but that was almost a decade ago.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
As far as what to practice, I usually do major and minor scales like another poster said. I try to have at least a half hour-hour of (focused) practice a day.
To stave off boredom I try to learn one new song a week, often just something I've heard on the radio. Sometimes I look for a three chord trick just for fun but usually I go for a bassline that is just out of reach. I try to work from the chords rather than tabs so I develop my own basslines which in turn forces me to learn a little music theory.

This means I always have some songs which are well developed and some which I need to work at. I aim for about an hour a day.
I have 4 different practice "styles":

1. If i am in a legit band, i try to play through my set at least once a day. Playing individual songs a bit more, trying to create fills. This style gets to be about 1-2 hours a day.

2. To further my bass playing in general. Scales and arpeggios to warm up. Then i'll pick a tricky song every week, and learn it by ear. I try to stay away from tabs, but i encourage myself to use the sheet music. This is less of a daily thing, and more of a big-chunk weekend thing that can net me close to 6 hours on a Saturday if i'm motivated.

3. When i have a musical gig, i will eat, drink, and sleep the score. I'm constantly listening to the soundtrack, and i will practice like a fiend every day... anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.

4. Coinciding with style "1", i do a lot of writing and experimentation. This is usually "Fun mode", and i will revert to this when other stuff gets boring or stressful. Nothing breaks up playing some motown like plugging into a pedalboard and making noise!! This style is hard to have a routine with... so maybe 30 minutes a day on average.

TL;DR:
M-F ... 1-3 hours a day
Weekend ... 3-6 hours a day
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Holy jesus lol
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410