Anyhooo I bought one of these a few weeks ago and havent been able to get hold of a manual for it. So my question is... On the back of the amp is a series of outputs for the speaker cabinet in order of impedance, there are 2 x 4 ohm, 2 x 8 ohm and 1 x 16 ohm. The two 4 ohms (and the two 8 ohm) plugs, is one mono and one in stereo or are they both mono and does having two plugs for each impedance give the ability to run a full stack?

Silly question I know, but this is the first amp head I have ever had.

Cheers
Very cool amp. I've played it. You should do a NAD thread.

I'm not 100% on this so maybe send Epiphone and email but I believe all those jacks are Mono and yes the extra one would be used to power two cabs (like a full stack).
Thanks 311, I might get off my arse and send Epi an email and see what they say. As for the NAD thread, I kind of did that but didnt really. Im still chasing some speakers to go in my cab so at the moment it sounds shithouse. The speakers in it are flogged out old stereo ones and they are really bad.
Well, good luck. I did a quick search just now and couldn't find much on the So Cal including the epiphone.com site. WTF? Well, anyway I'm sure you would just plug into the right jack if you had an 8 or 4 ohm cab. I say 'right vs left' because I believe the rule of thumb is that when given a choice it is best to use the jack that is closest to the Output Transformer. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

What kind of speakers are you going after? If you are on a budget you could always get 2 now and 2 more later.
Yeah thats what I am going to do, get two and then another two later. Im thinking about a pair of celestion 30's but they are around 170 bucks au a throw on ebay. Im open to suggestions. I dont play metal or anything, mostly rock and hard rock. Ive read that the So Cal doesnt do metal and to be honest thats fine by me. How does this amp go with a multi effects pedal? I saw a Boss ME 70 for $245 at the local pawn shop and am tempted to give it a go but the amp doesnt have an effects loop...
^ That's weird that it does not have an FX loop.

Oh well, I've found that they are not entirely necessary. Things like Delay and such can sound just as good in front of the amp. I've also found that MFX units (like that Boss ME70) will sound OK out front too. Never tried a Boss ME. FX loops are great for Noise Gates and EQ pedals though.

That said, I personally would not get a MFX pedal unless you really feel you need that kind of versatility. I mean what effects do you really think you need?

Vintage 30s are a good all around choice for lot of styles of music but they are not the be all end all in speakers. If you want something that is close but cheaper I can recommend WarehouseGuitarSpeaker Veteran 30, Avatar Hellatone 60 and Eminence Governers. I believe the So Cal cab comes with Eminence Lady Lucks. I had one of those once in a Blackheart cab and it is a good speaker. Spend some time reading about the various speakers that are out there and believe me, it can be a bit mind-blowing.

PS: Vintage 30s and Veteran 30s are actually closer to 60 watts. It was a very bad naming decision. Also consider mixing speakers. For example, 2 Veteran 30s and 2- Texas Heats.
X O
O X

Just make sure you understand and keep track of your ohms and watts. You need at least 50 watts total of speakers for a 50 watt amp. It is actually recommended to go a little higher like 125%-150% of that. 2 - Vintage 30's will give you 120 watts. Make sure the ohms for all the speakers are the same too and pay attention to how you wire things up. If you need more help with this, either bump this thread or send me a PM
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 3, 2012,
As mentioned above, this amp has multiple outputs, 2 x 4 ohm, 2 x 8 ohm and 1 x 16 ohm. Is it possible to run one 4 ohm cab and one 8 ohm cab in their correct output jacks simultaneously and use them as a stack?
Quote by dazza027
As mentioned above, this amp has multiple outputs, 2 x 4 ohm, 2 x 8 ohm and 1 x 16 ohm. Is it possible to run one 4 ohm cab and one 8 ohm cab in their correct output jacks simultaneously and use them as a stack?

NO dont do that!

you use only the 16 om jack with a 16 ohm cab.
you can use 1 8 ohm cab with one of the 8 ohm jacks, or two 16 ohm cabs each individualy pluged into each 8 ohm jack.
You can use one 4 ohm cab with the 4ohm jack or you can use two 8 ohm cabs pluged individualy into each 4ohm jack.

do not ever use any thing other than this, such as pluging a 4 ohm cab in the 4 ohm jack and a 8 ohm cab in the 8 ohm jack. you only use one section at a time or you will ruin your amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cheers for that, much appreciated. It would have said that in the manual for the bloody thing but do you think I can find one??
have you used google?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ive googled the shit out of it. Not even on the Epiphone website anymore and its not like its a million years old either.
Another silly question, do tube amps like warm weather? Mine is in the bedroom and it sounds like a handful of shit sloshing around in a bucket of water when the air con is on but when you turn it off all of a sudden it comes to life. Is this normal? And if so, how the hell are ya meant to use them at an out door gig on a cold night?
^ My guess is that the reason it is doing that is due to your 'house power'. Is it an older home or possibly a house wired by a 'friend'? That is the more likely scenario. Try the amp in a different part of the house or at a friends house. What you may need to consider is a power conditioner (ie Furman) to 'clean' your power before it gets to the amp. They start at around $100.

As far as temperature goes, amps don't really care what the temp is. The only real consideration would be if your amp has been out in the cold for a while to let it sit in room temperature and bring the amp up to room temp before turning it on and using it.
Haha the house is about 4 years old and certainly wasnt wired up dodgy. The change from crap to good wasnt instantaneous, probably 45 seconds from turning off the AC. Besides that, the AC is hard wired into a seperate circuit and draws from a seperate metre. Its definately temp related.
Would a Marshall MG 412 B (I assume they do the lower half of the stack, they definately do the A [angled] version) sound nice with my amp. I still intend to have my cab (which is a copy more or less of a 1960A) on top... Wooohooo full stack lmao... Its on Ebay new for $AU449 plus $30 in postage.
MG cabs are crap. I would personally avoid at all cost. Having a 'full' stack can't be that important.

Quote by dazza027
Haha the house is about 4 years old and certainly wasnt wired up dodgy. The change from crap to good wasnt instantaneous, probably 45 seconds from turning off the AC. Besides that, the AC is hard wired into a seperate circuit and draws from a seperate metre. Its definately temp related.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I just drew a conclusion on what little I was given. You didn't mention all of this in your original question. I mean it is still possible that it coming on an off can cause a 'ripple' in the current going to your amp. I seriously doubt the actual temperature in the room would cause that kind of variance. I could see maybe going from 1 degree Fahrenheit to 100 degrees Fahrenheit but even then. I still say a power conditioner may be a good investment.
I should add that ambient temperature is about 38C and 70% humidity, with AC a steady 25C and 40% or so humidity... thats a fair difference. Haha having a full stack isnt important at all but if ya can then why not? There is one similar vein in all of the advice in all of the help threads that I have noticed (and I am in no way picking on anyone, infact I kind of admire it) and that is that everyone wants to tell people oh you dont need that or you wont need that or thats too big get a small one now and a bigger one later... Im all for splurging (if you can afford to do so of course and sensibly at all times as well mind) I dont see the economy in buying a combo amp in 6 months I want to be out wailing in a band with my mates and need a half stack and amp. I will just quickly add that 311 has been a great help so far in my time here and I appreciate his input immensely.
All of those are like rocking horse poo here in Townsville, ie no chance of finding. My $20 tube screamer arrived today, its a Ibanez TS5 with a working foot switch. Ive been led to believe these things are meant to make an SS amp sound more like a valve amp so I'll plug her into the old Fender and see if it works. Back to the MG, how would you describe the sound they make, is it muddy or flat or tinny or harsh or....? all of the above???