Hey guys, so I just got about $100 for holidays and I am looking into purchasing a mixer. The best priced one I could find was the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX. It comes with Cubase. Is the version of Cubase it comes with good? Is it reduced or limited? How is it different than the latest Cubase? Thanks.
Is there any reason why you need a mixer? The MultiMix 8 only records at 16 bit and that version only allows you to record the left and right signal (ie: For the 4 inputs, you only get 2 outputs on your computer).

For $100, you could buy a Tascam US-800 with 6 dedicated outputs to USB. You'll lose the mixing board, but you can do all that just fine inside your DAW. It also comes with the same version of Cubase, which IS limited, but should do you just fine. If you don't like its limitations, download Reaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It will be Cubase AI, which is a "lite" version of Cubase. For a person just getting going, you probably won't much notice the limitations.

My nephew is just starting to get into this stuff and we got him an interface. One of the things I was looking for was one that came with Cubase AI for that very reason.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Is there any reason why you need a mixer? The MultiMix 8 only records at 16 bit and that version only allows you to record the left and right signal (ie: For the 4 inputs, you only get 2 outputs on your computer).

For $100, you could buy a Tascam US-800 with 6 dedicated outputs to USB. You'll lose the mixing board, but you can do all that just fine inside your DAW. It also comes with the same version of Cubase, which IS limited, but should do you just fine. If you don't like its limitations, download Reaper.

Well, the reason I want a mixer is: I'm slowly turning my bedroom into a place where I can professionally record my music. I recently got a BOSS GT-8, a Shure SM57, and some high end cables. I have wanted to turn my room into a studio type thing, but could never afford the equipment or was unable to get the proper hardware or software. This mixer comes with Cubase, which I hear is one of the industry standards.

I'm not brand spanking new to recording, but I am not knowledgeable enough to understand what "16-Bit" means, or some other of that jargon that is thrown around. This seemed good for someone like me. I have Reaper by the way.

Quote by axemanchris
It will be Cubase AI, which is a "lite" version of Cubase. For a person just getting going, you probably won't much notice the limitations.

My nephew is just starting to get into this stuff and we got him an interface. One of the things I was looking for was one that came with Cubase AI for that very reason.

CT

It says in the description that the version is Cubase LE. So why would it be AI?
Quote by carnagereap666
Well, the reason I want a mixer is: I'm slowly turning my bedroom into a place where I can professionally record my music. I recently got a BOSS GT-8, a Shure SM57, and some high end cables. I have wanted to turn my room into a studio type thing, but could never afford the equipment or was unable to get the proper hardware or software. This mixer comes with Cubase, which I hear is one of the industry standards.

I'm not brand spanking new to recording, but I am not knowledgeable enough to understand what "16-Bit" means, or some other of that jargon that is thrown around. This seemed good for someone like me. I have Reaper by the way.

The only good mixer/interfaces are far more expensive than the Alesis. You will end up doing nearly all your work in your computer either way, so you're just paying for a bunch of stuff you likely won't use.

Most modern recording interfaces record at 24 bit. Here's an explanation of what bit depth and sample rate mean, which I found online:

Bit Depth refers to the number of bits you have to capture audio. The easiest way to envision this is as a series of levels, that audio energy can be sliced at any given moment in time. With 16 bit audio, there are 65,536 possible levels. With every bit of greater resolution, the number of levels double. By the time we get to 24 bit, we actually have 16,777,216 levels. Remember we are talking about a slice of audio frozen in a single moment of time.

Now lets add our friend Time into the picture. That's where we get into the Sample Rate.

The sample rate is the number of times your audio is measured (sampled) per second. So at the red book standard for CDs, the sample rate is 44.1 kHz or 44,100 slices every second. So what is the 96khz sample rate? You guessed it. It's 96,000 slices of audio sampled each second.

Basically, 24 bit recordings are 256 times the sound resolution of 16 bit audio. You will be able to capture a higher quality audio signal at 24 bits than 16 bits.

Here's the article I quoted, if you'd like to read a bit more into it:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/16_vs_24_bit_audio.htm

BTW, Reaper can do just as much as the full version of Cubase. Unless you plan on upgrading from the Cubase disc in the future, since you already have Reaper, there's little to no point in buying an interface that comes with additional recording software, since Reaper can do much more than the Lite versions that come with interfaces. Obviously, it's a perk to have it, if you'd like to try the software out, but shouldn't be the deciding factor.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Erm..... The Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 is 24bit, the Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX is 16bit. Get the 2.0!
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by Dilberto
Erm..... The Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 is 24bit, the Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX is 16bit. Get the 2.0!

That it is, and it also gives you separate inputs for each mic preamp in your DAW. But, it's also 3 times more expensive, and at that price, you can get interfaces that absolutely slay the Multimix.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by carnagereap666
Well, the reason I want a mixer is: I'm slowly turning my bedroom into a place where I can professionally record my music.

Fair enough. But with most of your mixing taking place "inside the box", you really don't need a mixer, depending on what you want to achieve and the limitations of your software/hardware.

My old setup had a 24 channel mixer. Even though my mixing was done "in the box", the mixer was useful because it gave me:
-enough preamps to feed the inputs on my interface
-using aux sends, I could tailor separate monitor mixes for different musicians

When I upgraded, the mixer totally disappeared. The new interface had the preamps built right in that were far superior to what I was using in the mixer, and the update to the next version of Cubase included separate monitor mixes within the software.

At that point, not only was the mixer superfluous, but actually represented a compromise in quality just to have that thing in my rack with all the knobs and buttons on it.

Quote by carnagereap666

I recently got a BOSS GT-8, a Shure SM57, and some high end cables.

You'll outgrow the GT-8. You will always have a use for a 57. You'll know when you have "arrived" when the weak link in your recording setup is the quality of your cables.

Quote by carnagereap666

Cubase, which I hear is one of the industry standards.

Yes. Personally, I love it. I've been using Cubase since VST 3.6. (in other words, pre-SX... ) About 12 years.

Quote by carnagereap666

To put bit depth into colour terms, here is a good example of 16 bit colour vs 32 bit colour.

Quote by carnagereap666

It says in the description that the version is Cubase LE. So why would it be AI?

Was this intended to sound confrontational?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Fair enough. But with most of your mixing taking place "inside the box", you really don't need a mixer, depending on what you want to achieve and the limitations of your software/hardware.

What does "inside the box" mean?

You'll outgrow the GT-8. You will always have a use for a 57. You'll know when you have "arrived" when the weak link in your recording setup is the quality of your cables.

I've always wanted something like the GT-8. My dad has one and I was mooching off of it whenever I played with my brother. I really liked so I asked for one of my own. Will I grow out of it? I don't think so. It's got more than enough effects, preamps, et cetera to suit my needs right now. The cables I have are Monster cables. They seem pretty good. I don't think they would ever compromise my sound, but I don't know.

Your color example made things a bit clearer. Thank you.

Was this intended to sound confrontational?

Not at all. It is just that it says Cubase LE. So why would I get Cubase AI? Is there a difference? Are they the same thing?
Quote by carnagereap666
What does "inside the box" mean?

It means you'll be using plugins on your computer to mix, not the ones built into the Alesis mixer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by carnagereap666

I've always wanted something like the GT-8. My dad has one and I was mooching off of it whenever I played with my brother. I really liked so I asked for one of my own. Will I grow out of it? I don't think so. It's got more than enough effects, preamps, et cetera to suit my needs right now.

People tend to go in phases. We go from all-in-one effects units like the GT-8 to wanting something straight up - a great amp and no fuss, no muss. And then we go back again... and so on. Particularly with each generation of technology.

Will you still be using it when you're 50? Doubtful.

Quote by carnagereap666

The cables I have are Monster cables. They seem pretty good. I don't think they would ever compromise my sound, but I don't know.

I'm sure they're fine. I was just suggesting that people who use cheaper or mid-range cables aren't using gear at a high enough level where the biggest barrier to achieving better sound is getting better cables.

Quote by carnagereap666

Your color example made things a bit clearer. Thank you.

No prob.

Quote by carnagereap666

Not at all. It is just that it says Cubase LE. So why would I get Cubase AI? Is there a difference? Are they the same thing?

I was a bit early out of the gate. Some interfaces used to come with LE before there was an AI. Recently (relatively), AI was brought in and hardware made my Yamaha and Steinberg came bundled with AI.

I had forgotten that hardware made by other manufacturers is still bundled with LE.

CT