So i guess I'll just get right down to it.

I texted my band's keyboard player about 3PM earlier today asking if she could do band practice tomorrow, and she just texted me back about an hour ago saying she couldn't, and shes' almost always late for practice and sometimes doesn't even show up, when me, our singer, and drummer are ALWAYS there, I know this obvious answer to this situation, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions about what to do about this.

Thanks in advance
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Sit down with her and talk with her. Tell her she needs to be there ON TIME and ALL OF THE TIME. Also, understand and listen. Sometimes theres traffic and she may be sick and what not, thats understandable. If she isn't there, she can't play for you guys. Also whats her age? School or work could be an inconvenience.
I'm assuming you are not paying her, and you have no sort of formal contract obligating her to show up at all, let alone on time.

This sort of situation happens all the time. It's a sign that her committment to the band is less than the rest of your's. I would simply start looking for a new keyboardist. Or just tell her that she needs to show up on time, but again, given the fact that this isn't her "job" she'd probably just say see ya. You should do the same. Find a new player that is committed to the band.
Really forgot about this thread

Quote by Deathro
Sit down with her and talk with her. Tell her she needs to be there ON TIME and ALL OF THE TIME. Also, understand and listen. Sometimes theres traffic and she may be sick and what not, thats understandable. If she isn't there, she can't play for you guys. Also whats her age? School or work could be an inconvenience.

Neither of those things are a problem, she doesn't have a job and we always have practice in the evening.

Quote by Riffman15
I'm assuming you are not paying her, and you have no sort of formal contract obligating her to show up at all, let alone on time.

This sort of situation happens all the time. It's a sign that her committment to the band is less than the rest of your's. I would simply start looking for a new keyboardist. Or just tell her that she needs to show up on time, but again, given the fact that this isn't her "job" she'd probably just say see ya. You should do the same. Find a new player that is committed to the band.

No we're not paying her. Her committment to the band is less than the rest of ours, we had practice yesterday and again she didn't show, but we're really hesitant to kick her out because we live in a small town and it's so hard to find band members and some of the best songs that we do are really keyboard-driven so we wouldn't be able to do those songs without her.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Last edited by MusicMan24 at Jan 17, 2012,
Huh.

Two things.

First, be clear about what the problem is. If you say "hey practice tomorrow," and she says, "I can't" that's not a commitment problem. It turns out she may have a commitment problem, but it's not reasonable to expect somebody to re-order their schedule on no notice. So be clear with what the problem is.

You say you know the obvious answer, but I don't think you do. Because the obvious answer is to talk to her about her level of commitment. Explain to her the problem, and see how she reacts. The upshot of that conversation may be that she says, "You know, sounds like you guys want something different from what I want, so we should go separate ways." Or it may be that she says, "This is the level of commitment I'm willing to make," and then you decide if that's okay or not.

But you have to communicate your expectations clearly, and give her the opportunity to make an informed choice as to whether she wants to participate at that level or not.
Usually I'd say something along the lines of "if people are continuously late/don't show up for practice, they're telling you they don't want to be part of the band and they should be dropped", and this may be the case.

However Hotspur is exactly on the money with giving notice, especially when you consider this statement:

I texted my band's keyboard player about 3PM earlier today asking if she could do band practice tomorrow

Not only has she given you one day notice, but it sounds like practice wasn't even happening until the day before. Set a time/day every week for practice. A standard one is Wednesday, 6-8. Many a person will quit an amateur band because their practices go for in excess of 2 hours, often going to 4. Me and my buddies started using a 1 hour per week practice, it's going pretty well.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud