So I started thinking,their are some bands that only musicians or real music junkies really appreciate for whatever reasons, examples: velvet underground, joy division. etc. Why do you think this is? and any others you can think of?
No one REALLY likes Velvet Underground. People just say they do because historians keep telling us that they were important when in reality it was just the 60's and everyone was so f***ed up that they actually thought VU was good. Enough people got stoned and said that VU was amazing that those weak enough to not say anything different agreed while the rest of the world just said stfu and never listened to VU.

On topic: I don't think that there are specifically bands that only other bands/musicians appreciate. I do, however, think that other bands/musicians appreciate those types of bands in a different way than the average music listener. One example I can think of is Scale the Summit. A lot of my friends like them because their music is prog that you don't have to count meter changes, or key changes to enjoy but for those of us that do STS is an amazing band and a breath of fresh air in the prog community
No one REALLY likes Velvet Underground.

nah man they were pretty innovative. just cause their not your cup of tea you cant say no one likes them
Some peops prob just love VU for their weirdness and whatnot.. I think they have some good songs, but just a few. Others are so-called 'avant-garde' just because most people think it's shite.

Joy Division is loved even by people that aren't musicians. They're easily loved by teenagers for their heavy lyrics yet having that punky edge. I love them because they sound punk but simply aren't. They're quite unique.

now OT: I think some bands can only be loved because the parents loved the band too, so they just grew up with it. Let's say AC/DC, U2 and other "classic" bands. Personaly I think they're repetitive and just lost it but keep going because they still can get the cash flowing but growing up I liked them because my parents did and some of my friends have the same story (MANY but really MANY have that share in U2).

EDIT: ^lolyeah Alesana or any other crappy emo band too for that matter.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Last edited by TimTheWizard at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by vjferrara
No one REALLY likes Velvet Underground. People just say they do because historians keep telling us that they were important when in reality it was just the 60's and everyone was so f***ed up that they actually thought VU was good. Enough people got stoned and said that VU was amazing that those weak enough to not say anything different agreed while the rest of the world just said stfu and never listened to VU.

This wreaks of opinion..

OT:
Some people just can't be bothered to sit down and REALLY listen. Your average person wants background music while they watch or do something or something simple they can dance to and etc. Good for them, I think they're missing out but, good for them.

I'd say prog is a musicians 'style' (not going to use the G word, I despise it) simply because it is full of musicianship. The same goes for jazz, blues and fusion styles.

Basically, we are musical connoisseurs - just like there are people who could go on for days about wine when really, a lot of us just want to get smashed.. Same scenario, different topic.

he didnt say just musicians but also music junkies - i.e. people who love music a really lot

joy division for sure, john frusciante, the mars volta, dinosaur jr., my bloody valentine
Quote by TimTheWizard
EDIT: ^lolyeah Alesana or any other crappy emo band too for that matter.

They ain't emo brah, they're pop rock like Foo Fighters and Nickelback.
Quote by '93
he didnt say just musicians but also music junkies - i.e. people who love music a really lot

Music Junkie =/= Musician when it comes to listening to music... Figured that was implied..

I know I love music a really lot..