Page 1 of 2
I'm curious to know: how fast does the average guitarist progress in around 6 months of playing? Everyone is different and judging how a person progresses might be hard. But I don't have anyone to compare my playing to and I want to know if my practice is paying off and if I should invest in some lessons. Could someone give me an idea from personal experience or link a tab? In terms of playing ability, what should be easy for me right now? Any feedback is appreciated.

If this thread is deemed pointless and gets deleted oh well. To give an idea, I can play Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age all the way through like the song.
If you tell me you are a Limp Bizkit fan you might as well be telling me your favorite movie is the Chronicles of Narnia.
Quote by Needasnappyname
I'm curious to know: how fast does the average guitarist progress in around 6 months of playing? Everyone is different and judging how a person progresses might be hard. But I don't have anyone to compare my playing to and I want to know if my practice is paying off and if I should invest in some lessons. Could someone give me an idea from personal experience or link a tab? In terms of playing ability, what should be easy for me right now? Any feedback is appreciated.

If this thread is deemed pointless and gets deleted oh well. To give an idea, I can play Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age all the way through like the song.

Even the solo? The rest of the song is just power chords and after 6 moths you should have no problem with those. Remember that you pretty much suck major ass for the first year you are playing since in that time you are just learning the basics. How are your bends? Can you hammer-on/pull-off properly? Do you know the open chords and/or a few barre ones? Are you alternate picking? Are you holding the guitar properly? Do you know any scales? Those are the things you should think about first, then we can start talking about learning songs. Though it would be good to learn a coupe of very simple ones.

And for future reference, direct questions like these away from the pit, not the right forum
Last edited by HaistaPaska92 at Jan 2, 2012,
People like to gauge their progress by songs they can play, forgetting that how well you play the song is what really matters.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Needasnappyname
Yeah, but record yourself playing that song and listen to it a few years from now: you're likely to go "hmmm, I didn't quite nail that part, this bit's a bit sloppy, I should've used a hammer-on here, what the f*ck was I thinking with that sh*tty-ass tone..."

Hearing back your own recording is like seeing an old high school picture: you can tell it's you but it's still striking how much you've changed

...unless you're like Keanu Reeves or something

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by shwilly
Yeah, but record yourself playing that song and listen to it a few years from now: you're likely to go "hmmm, I didn't quite nail that part, this bit's a bit sloppy, I should've used a hammer-on here, what the f*ck was I thinking with that sh*tty-ass tone..."

Hearing back your own recording is like seeing an old high school picture: you can tell it's you but it's still striking how much you've changed

...unless you're like Keanu Reeves or something

I always listen to my old clips of playing and wish i still sounded that way
Quote by Zoot Allures
I always listen to my old clips of playing and wish i still sounded that way
Hence the Nick Cave link??

Alcohol is your friend

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The average guitarist doesn't become anything other than an average guitarist

oh wait.
Last edited by Zeletros at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by triface
By 6 months the average guitarist should be able to play this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k&feature=related

Without the faces of course. The faces need a lot of practice to nail.

Are you kidding? I was onto my first 7 neck guitar by this point. 3 neck guitars are for pussies. Oh, and I could sing and play a solo at 300bpm at the same time. And do the faces in this without thinking.

I'm a modest man.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by vulgarmachine
Are you kidding? I was onto my first 7 neck guitar by this point. 3 neck guitars are for pussies. Oh, and I could sing and play a solo at 300bpm at the same time. And do the faces in this without thinking.

I'm a modest man.

Is this you, 4 months in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_pU_0G-qc8
1 to 3 years if you practice everyday. Also depends on how good you wanna get.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by stealstrings
1 to 3 years if you practice everyday. Also depends on how good you wanna get.

Basically this.

It's entirely down to how much effort you put in, and what you put the effort into. I've been playing for nearly 12 years now, and people that have been playing for 3 could probably play harder stuff. I just don't put the hours in any more, every time I pick up I just noodle and strum then do something else.
Also bear in mind that if someone on youtube makes a point of claiming they played a pretty difficult song "with only 6 months practice", chances are they're bullshitting and have actually played about 5 years.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Basically this.

It's entirely down to how much effort you put in, and what you put the effort into. I've been playing for nearly 12 years now, and people that have been playing for 3 could probably play harder stuff. I just don't put the hours in any more, every time I pick up I just noodle and strum then do something else.
Also bear in mind that if someone on youtube makes a point of claiming they played a pretty difficult song "with only 6 months practice", chances are they're bullshitting and have actually played about 5 years.

I've been playing acoustic for around four years, I started electric middle of last year. I practice at least an hour a day. (3 at the most). I want to get really good. So yeah, I give myself another 2 years to get as good as I want.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
first pube - play blues scale
voice breaks - stairway to heaven solo
acne - tapping
nipple hair - sweep picking
How long is a piece of string?
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Invest in lessons anyway. A good teacher is ALWAYS a benefit. Hell, Nick Peart of Rush still takes drum lessons!

From Fassa.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Needasnappyname

you should progress ~23 BPM at a time
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Invest in lessons anyway. A good teacher is ALWAYS a benefit. Hell, Nick Peart of Rush still takes drum lessons!

Quote by Deliriumbassist
A good teacher is ALWAYS a benefit. Hell, Nick Peart of Rush still takes drum lessons!

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Hell, Nick Peart of Rush still takes drum lessons!

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nick Peart of Rush still takes

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nick Peart of Rush still

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nick Peart

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nick

wat

Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by StewieSwan
People like to gauge their progress by songs they can play, forgetting that how well you play the song is what really matters.

This. For example, these guys know how to play the song from beginning to end, but obviously they're not getting signed any time soon, unless they've really shaped up in the last six years.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Oh... Well, I suppose that's okay.

This time.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
6 months? You should be able to sweep pick by then.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by theogonia777
This. For example, these guys know how to play the song from beginning to end, but obviously they're not getting signed any time soon, unless they've really shaped up in the last six years.

Or all the kids on youtube who play through Dragonforce/Necrophagist/Symphony X songs and just do a terrible, terrible job.

Quote by damian_91
6 months? You should be able to sweep pick by then.

You should be so far past sweeping that you refuse to even put it in songs by that point.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Hell, Nick Peart of Rush still takes drum lessons!

Nick Peart of Rush

Nick Peart

for real, dude?

Although, if Neil Peart came to me asking for drum lessons I'd probably shit myself right there

OT, after 6 months of playing I was still pretty bad. you are too. most of us were. I'd like to think i've gotten better in the last 5-ish years but I doubt I have

Best of luck to you though, man
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated. Hammer-on's and similar guitar nuances are old news to me. They come naturally. As for Little Sister, I can play the solo faster than Homme does. As well, definitely not. A lot of the time I play along with songs so that always helps. I know my scales and whatnot but I'm just now getting into really learning theory. I always try to push my limits and do shit I'm not comfortable with doing so that helps. Ill check out the links and ideas you guys posted. If anyone uses a practice program or something they like I'd be happy to see that. Thanks again!
If you tell me you are a Limp Bizkit fan you might as well be telling me your favorite movie is the Chronicles of Narnia.
I've been playing for about 9 years and I still suck. If you have any mentality other than this, you're a dick
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by chaoticfables
Measure the distance between your headstock and your bridge

And how long is that?
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by seeneyj
And how long is that?

Millions billions
My God, it's full of stars!
After 6 months with my acoustic I honestly wasn't all that great (not that I'm really amazing at guitar now either). Really wasn't all that motivated to finish a song. Mostly played cool intro riffs and that's about it. Best of You by foo fighters and the intro to unforgiven were probably my crowning achievements at that point.
Page 1 of 2