I've had problems in the past with tendinitis and had to pretty well relearn how to play to prevent further issues. It's been at least a year since I've had any trouble, but now I'm starting to get in to 8 finger tapping (scale the summit style). So far I'm finding it requires a lot more force to get notes to sound, especially on the higher strings, and it's causing a little soreness in my wrists, and I don't want that to become tendinitis.

Have any of you found that a different string gauge, or tuning down a little, changing your action, or changing something else set up related to make tapping a little easier? Am I missing something with the actually technique? Do I just need to practice sparingly until I build up some more hand strength.

Also I have no problems at all with regular legato, or more Van Halen style tapping.
If you are just starting out with 8 finger tapping it is most likely a matter of getting used to it. When i was beginning to learn 8 finger tapping my wrists would get a little sore after a while. So what i did was practice slow and concentrated and if i felt my wrists getting sore i stopped.

Then the next practice session i could do it for a little longer, then a litte longer etc. Your hands not used to it. It will come over time. Just know if you are getting sore/ it hurts. Stop.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Just make sure that the tapping motion is coming from your fingers, not from your wrist. That was a bit of a problem for me when I started playing around with multi-finger tapping.
Question to people who already got a hang of 8 finger tapping:

pull offs or pure hammer ons (holdsworth style)

To clarify - thats when descending, lets say:

13-16-17-16-13

Bolded notes - pull offs or keep hammering?

Just getting into it, want to make right choises now because re-learning something is a bitch
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
^ Holdsy actually doesn't use 100% hammers - it's near-impossible to keep dynamics consistent when using the weaker two fingers.

So, learn it with pulloffs first and then introduce hammer-only if you wish.
Quote by Freepower
^ Holdsy actually doesn't use 100% hammers - it's near-impossible to keep dynamics consistent when using the weaker two fingers.

So, learn it with pulloffs first and then introduce hammer-only if you wish.

Willl do, thanks
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
If changing technique doesn't alleviate the pain, see a doctor. It really could be a simple fix. I had some pain in my right wrist a few years ago, some sort of tendonitis, and a shot was all it took. No problems since then.
Ibanez SR1200E