Hi guys.

I got a question.
I'm a beginner when it comes to guitars.
have been self learning acoustic guitar for a year and I just got an electric guitar.
My amp its not a guitar amp and its got no distortion effect.
So, what should I do to get a good distortion effect like those in rock and metal songs?

Would an amp like this be enough?
http://electronics.al/content.aspx?id=21&idd=72&iddd=&idjadok=331

Or should I buy one of these
http://electronics.al/content.aspx?id=21&idd=70

And if so which one?

Notes:
I can't buy online and I don't have a lot of money.
budget?
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
even a small marshall, if put in overdrive, gives you a rather desirable, crunchy sound that you may know from the sound of ac/dc, softer metallica tunes, or, say, nickelback..
you probably won't be able to easily get more specialized sounds out of it from the start, but it's a really good starter-amp for beginners -edit: oh, it's a mg, nevermind.. check part 2 of the post

and of those 4 pedals, none would really give you the same range as the overdrive-channel from the amp, so i'd stick to the latter.
-----

if you could get your hands on other gear than just this store, however, and you have a budget somewhere between 40 and 80€, I'd recommend a small boss mine, say the DS-2, or even for a smaller budget, the behringer OD300, which gives you a great start for even less than 20€
Last edited by Mithraw at Jan 2, 2012,
i had an mg, and even with pedals i couldnt get a desirable sound. id go for a roland cube or a peavey vypyr for a starter amp.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
MGs get a lot of undeserved hate in these forums, but for a beginner amp they aren't too bad. You'll get a sound that's OK for learning with and it will be reliable enough to last you as long as you need it to - certainly until you're ready for a bigger and better amp.

For the other option, you don't say what your current amp is other than it not being a guitar amp so even with one of the pedals you linked to you may not get a usable sound from it, however if your budget allows, you may find that a multi-effects pedal would work better with it than one of the pedals you're currently considering.

The pedals you linked to are designed to work with a guitar amp, so they would need a proper amp to provide you with the tone they are capable of, whereas multi-effects pedals can be used with nothing more than a set of headphones so they are more likely to provide acceptable sounds with your current amp. If you go this route, good makes to consider are Boss, Line 6, Digitech and Zoom.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 2, 2012,
Budget?
up to, say 80$
Genres?
rock, metal
New or Used?
new.Used if I could.
Home or Gig?
home
Current Gear?
A normal non professional amp.

Notes:
I live in Albania and its a poor country, not many music shops and its hard to find stuff, thats why I showed you those pedals and that amp, cause they're the only I found
With that budget, you'd definitely be having to look at the used market for my suggestion of a multi-effects pedal, I have no idea how you'd go about doing that in Albania!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'say get a Blackstar HT-something or perhaps a practice-size Vox. Are there no Roland cubes where you live? Those sound pretty good for starter amps and the digital effects are great too

Unless you plan on gigging anytime soon those amps will last you for quite a few years before you decide on moving on to a bigger amp

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jan 2, 2012,