Having so much trouble attempting to record myself singing and playing

It's a very basic set up, just for youtube/facebook constructive criticism (i.e. just one basic microphone and MAGIC music maker premium), but I just can't get it to sound good

I try recording vocals and guitar together and am unable to get a good mix (vocals too loud or guitar too loud)

Trying to record them both seperately, and I totally lose timing

Any tips/help'd be marvellous
Last edited by Seddon1707 at Jan 2, 2012,
If you're losing timing, a metronome is your best option.

To get a good sound though, you'll need to invest in a proper multitracker or interface to create the recording with.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Weirdbag
Reaper! It's pretty much free Go on the website (Reaper.fm) and download it there

Cheers, i'll give it a look
OK you really don't need to get any fancy program. As long as you're recording to something, that's all you will need. No recording program is going to make your recording sound "better", albeit, some do have more tools and effects. Honestly, why don't you just try using a metronome like GaryBillington said. It's pretty simple to work with. If there isn't a built in metronome in your recording software, then buy one! They are cheap, like guitar tuners. You'll just need to plug headphones into the metronome so the mic doesn't pick up the noise it makes, set the tempo to where you want it, and follow the blooping!

At first it might just be a pain, but once you learn to follow a metronome, you'll probably find everything you record will sounds much more uniform and precise. It makes a worlds difference.

Now if you don't want to do that, then by another mic! That way you can place a mic by your mouth, and another in front of your guitar, that way you can adjust the volume of your vocals and guitar to get the right mix.
Note to TS - metronomes are also available online for free
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud