Let me get the obligatory info out of the way...

Budget: $250 and under

Genre: 90's alt...need cleans also

Current gear: practice with the dismal Frontman 15G (yeah, I know)

New or used: Preferrably New

Home or Gig: Home practice

Closest city: Gulfport, MS and Mobile, AL

Misc: Don't have a preferrence between tube and SS or modelling. Currently own a Vox Tonelab ST and plan to use it through the amp.

What I've been looking at: Vox AC4TV, Fender Mustang II, VHT Special 6, Fender Champion 600

Question I have: With a piece like the Champion 600, which isn't known for getting really dirty, would a pedal like a TS9 give it enough drive to play stuff like STP, Pearl Jam, etc?

Many thanks in advance.
blackstar ht1 and kustom defender 5h half stack are cheap tube options.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
a ts9 won't have the same effect on a SS as it would with a tube amp. fenders are a great choice for anything really, but it all depends on the tone you want. if this is what you are looking for the champion would be a great choice, as far as the vox goes it would be an equally good choice so it all depends on tone.

For that genre though I honestly don't think either of those would be a good choice, I've never used it but Blackstar makes a little 1w amp which tone might be alot closer to what you might what for tone

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-ht-series-ht-1-1w-1x8-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h74090000000000

good luck and have fun

E
Quote by deepfat
Currently own a Vox Tonelab ST and plan to use it through the amp.

find a fender pro jr on sale.

you will thank me later.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Since you've already got the ToneLab to model amps and effects, the AC4TV would be a good choice.
i played around with a vox vt50 yesterday. has some higher gain stuff than youd expect.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Sort of off topic but what kind of distortion pedal would get me off to a good start to get a tone like Blue Album era Weezer? I've tried for a long time to get that clean distorted sound but am starting to think that studio magic has more to do with it.
Quote by deepfat
Sort of off topic but what kind of distortion pedal would get me off to a good start to get a tone like Blue Album era Weezer? I've tried for a long time to get that clean distorted sound but am starting to think that studio magic has more to do with it.

Sounds like multitracked Marshalls to me. I've also heard they used a Big Muff in front of it, but just a pedal wouldn't give you that thick of a tone.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Sounds like multitracked Marshalls to me. I've also heard they used a Big Muff in front of it, but just a pedal wouldn't give you that thick of a tone.

Weird configurations all around. Mesa Mark I's w/ Marshall cabs, Big Muffs. Rhythm tracks played with vintage LPs w/ P90s.

Just a huge sound on that record.
Why would you buy a Vox Vt when he's already got a tonelab?

I'd recommend a plain simple amp like a Peavey Bandit (or something else in the transtube family). Solid, reliable and will really work great with your Tonelab.
Ahh, look for the Fender Mustang I.

I saw it at GC and it had a 90's amp setting that sounded nice.

A solid $99.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honeyburst

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 with P90 pickups; swapped neck out for a Peavey Raptor Plus.

Alvarez Dreadnaught RD6

Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Quote by kyle62
Why would you buy a Vox Vt when he's already got a tonelab?

this.

get a simple clean platform (like a pro jr) and run your tone lab through that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
this.

get a simple clean platform (like a pro jr) and run your tone lab through that.

Would a Champion 600 with a speaker upgrade be sufficient with the ToneLab?
Quote by deepfat
Would a Champion 600 with a speaker upgrade be sufficient with the ToneLab?

I think you're really limiting yourself with that little speaker. Get something with a 12".