i am not using the wrong string. this never happened to me before. when i restringed the a i put my 3 under the string and thats how much slack i use. but when i wind it up. it sounds waaaay too high to be an a.
Are you using a tuner?

And what do you mean with " i put my 3 under the string and thats how much slack i use."
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
yea im using a tuner, i i put my left finger on teh nut to hold the string in place. then i put 3 fingers of mf right hand under the string so that it raises it up by a few inches.
Don't judge the tension of your strings by putting your fingers underneath.. That's kinda ridiculous..

Tune the string so the pitch is A. Plain and simple, your perceived tension with your fingers has nothing to do with it.. You probably bought a different gauge string and it feels different..

Quote by mdc
What is the gauge of the string? 0.38, 0.42? etc

.011 - .052. the a string broke!!!
Quote by ehhthatguy
.011 - .052. the a string broke!!!

Well, the A string was tuned up to D..

it was a little tight...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
quite simply, you didnt tune to an A. you might have by accident tried to get it to a high A instead of a low A. thats happened to me a few times and just couldnt get it in tune. a good rule is when in doubt, de-tune. just go really low and work your way back up.
If you had your low E already in tune, you could've just used unison tuning to get it close, then finely adjust with the tuner.
Quote by Papabear505
Well, the A string was tuned up to D..

it was a little tight...

A little?

But, yeah... use a tuner, and dont put your fingers under the string. I mean really...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by ehhthatguy
guys the problem was if i tune it to an a the string is too floppy.

i really doubt your guitar is set up correctly. take it to a pro to learn how to string+set-up your guitar and have someone put it where it rightfully should be.

a proper set-up is really an underrated investment
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
i really doubt your guitar is set up correctly. take it to a pro to learn how to string+set-up your guitar and have someone put it where it rightfully should be.

i kindaa think its because i messed around with the truss rod a couple of weeks back. the guitar is crap anyways it sounds dull and the action is too high. im saving up for the seagull s6. totally irrelevant question here but, what jobs can a 14 year old get? (that pays minimum wage)
Paper round. S'long as you're an early riser. I remember doing that shit.
Quote by mdc
Paper round. S'long as you're an early riser. I remember doing that shit.

i dont think we have those anymore in nyc.
Quote by Hail

I have to set up my own stuff, every guitar i've ever purchased needed to have the strings dropped closer to the fretboard and the only guy who did it right went out of business because he was a douche.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by z4twenny
I have to set up my own stuff, every guitar i've ever purchased needed to have the strings dropped closer to the fretboard and the only guy who did it right went out of business because he was a douche.

Just the one time, though, it's good to see how it's done, so you don't go and twist the truss rod and bitch about how crappy you made your guitar on a music forum a few weeks later.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
Just the one time, though, it's good to see how it's done, so you don't go and twist the truss rod and bitch about how crappy you made your guitar on a music forum a few weeks later.

Oh i used the internet to learn how to adjust intonation and im decent at it in that i can get it setup how i want it but it takes a bit of tweaking. But yeah it definitely helps to watch someone else do it before you go and destroy your guitar.
You tube is your friend...

I've set up my own guitars for a lot of years... but, I was taught how to do it by an expert... I've seen a lot of good videos on you tube that will show you step by step how to do it...

that being said, I've also seen a lot of bad ones... if you find one where it's an 11 year old kid explaining how the metal thingies on the finger wood might be screwed up... I'd find another video...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!