Hey guys

I'm heading to GC in a few hours and I'm planning on picking up the Rat Distortion pedal. For amps I use a 71 silverface twin and a roland jc120, i have both a strat modded with fralins and a stock LP...

no real specifics on genres, i have to play a lot of stuff. just looking for a great distortion pedal and i don't really wanna spend that much because i'm more of an OD person anyways, just need a reliable distortion pedal and i don't wanna get a POS.

open for discussion, what can you guys tell me.

Thanks!

E
I have the Rat 2 and I like it a lot. It can do quite a bit of stuff.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
hit up the pawn shop. great place for pedals for less than half the price.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Unless you're completely anal about your tone then just get the RAT2, don't be goaded into getting the The Rat or any other of the higher market pedals. Also make sure that you try a few other pedals too while going and try to play them into an amp similar to yours.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
The Rat 2 can do a lot. Really low gain settings yields a more overdrive sound, winding it up yields a nice rock crunch, and it can even sound kind of like a fuzz if you tweak it right. It's a bit of a brash sounding pedal though, so you might use quite a bit of the filter knob on the pedal.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
The RAT2 is awesome; comparison videos between it and a vintage RAT seemed to me to show that the newer model has a better defined bottom end, and a higher-fi sound.

I love mine, I use it at every show!
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
For less you can look for the MXR M78 '78 Badass Distortion.

There's one by my GC that's $78, and the Rat is $95.
so i did end up getting the RAT2, a bit on the fuzzy side for me but it's still pretty great. i'm glad i got it!