On New Years eve, I bought a used Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster, and I had bought a Fender Mustang I a day before (Upgrading from Squier Beginner Strat Pack gear) When I got home and played it through the Mustang, it sounded amazing. I knew it was gonna sound good but not this good! But since I've gotten it, I've wondered, what Style/Genre of music makes the Jazzmaster shine through the most. I've heard it was desihned for jazz, but became more of a Surf Rock guitar. I'm just wondering what most artists use this amazing guitar for, since its much less common the the Strats and Tele's that each have their own unique sound. And what are the pickups (P90 or just JM pickup) and what is unique about them?
Thanks
The jazzmaster is similar to a fender jaguar, but has P90 pickups. A P90 is basically a single coil pickup (like in a strat, tele etc) wound far more times around the magnet. This increases the output; they have a tonal character similar to both humbuckers and single coils; they sound great! Yes, the jazzmaster was a complete jazz failure but it has become popular in alternative music and surf. It just has its own distinct sound. More woody and mid-heavy.
What cola said sums it up.

It's a bit to sharp for jazz IMO. Too much bite.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
It's unfair to attach genres to guitars IMO. Players? Maybe. Equipment? That's up to ...the player.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
I've noticed a lot of noise/grungy alternative bands use Jazzmasters, notably Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth. J Mascis even has a signature Jazzmaster. So, lots of feedbacky distorted stuff... Pretty much the opposite of jazz
GEAR:

Schecter V-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Special Model LP
Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
The Jazzmaster shines when playing traditional lead with vibrato. The Fender Floating Tremolo unit (the name of the tremolo) is one of the stablest tremolos around, if set up properly.

Quote by cola4369
The jazzmaster is similar to a fender jaguar, but has P90 pickups.

Nope. No, they don't. This is wrong.

The P-90 is actually a very popular Jazz pickup, but the Jazzmaster doesn't have them.

The Jazzmaster has unique pickups unoriginally named "Jazzmaster Pickups," though they are also know as "Soapbars." The Jazzmaster Pickup differs hugely in construction from a P-90, and are actually lower output than modern single coils. Think of the Jazzmaster Pickup as a toned down Single Coil.

There are only two guitars that have Jazzmaster pickups stock; the Jazzmaster and the newly released Fender Modern Player Marauder.

Fender did not put p-90s on their guitars until the 1990s, starting with the TC-90, a thinline Telecaster. P-90s are Gibson pickups, and Gibson and Fender have been huge rivals since the 50s.

Quote by Alastor's_Balde
I've noticed a lot of noise/grungy alternative bands use Jazzmasters, notably Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth. J Mascis even has a signature Jazzmaster. So, lots of feedbacky distorted stuff... Pretty much the opposite of jazz

The Jazzmaster was popular with the "Noise" bands of the early nineties, though it was more because of their cheap price than how they sounded. Many also disengaged the Rhythm Circuit, an optional mode that darkened the tone and brought the Jazzmaster closer to the sound of a traditional Jazz guitar (Not quite, though) with a drop in volume. A lot of 90s Jazzmaster players hated that system and called it a "strangle switch," because it constricted the tone of the guitar.

The Blacktop Jazzmaster is unique because there is a humbucker in the bridge, which you can use in pretty much any playing style. There is also no rhythm circuit so you won't really get close to the sound they were intended for.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jan 3, 2012,