After playing guitar for three years I think I can safely say I am lagging far, far behind. I began learning guitar through a course offered at my school, and my school is... not renowned for it's music programs. I believe it was also the first year the course was being offered and my teacher had no experience with the guitar up till that point. Needless to say it wasn't much of a course. That was grade 10, and I took the grade 11 and 12 courses in the following years only to be left disappointed as we repeated the exact same things we had done in the previous years. Which was playing chords and spending maybe a grand two or three days learning scales. We also learned rhythm - the stuff we've been learning in general music class since, like, grade three?

Anyway, that's my rant on my terrible guitar class. Back to the topic at hand.

I haven't had much exposure to other players as I live in a small town and nobody here shares my music interests (I play rock and metal and I live in a town full of hicks, no offence to hicks, but it does me no good) and nobody in town gives lessons. One of the first songs I started learning was Metallica's Fade to Black - might I remind you, three years ago - and I still haven't managed to master it. I try to play at least an hour a day, but I feel I am not improving.

So this is my desperate plea for help, from a disillusioned guitar player. How can I improve?

* I apolagize if there is already a sticky covering this, I felt this rant needed it's own thread.
Last edited by samjbow at Jan 2, 2012,

I have been playing for SIX years, and I'm stuck with the same technique I've had since the second year of playing

I tried to practice tons of exercises but at the end I just quitted and started studying theory; haven't stopped since, right now I'm digging deeper into orchestration.

My guitar skills, you ask? They are still the same. I suck

So I will keep checking this thread for updates and advice. Chill, man!
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Have you heard of BANDHAPPY? Its a website about to be launched and its full of singers and musicians from bands like lamb of god, periphery, etc. and its pretty much one on one lessons over the internet. I'm looking forward to it, you should check it out too.
http://bandhappy.com/
Heres the commercial they made for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE7-AUbpEik&feature=youtu.be
Thanks for the help both of you, I'll check that out now. And I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this.
You're spending a lot of mental energy blaming other people - your crappy teacher, your town with no teachers, etc.

My question is: why aren't you taking more responsibility for your own improvement?

Why aren't you buying and working through books on guitar technique? ("Guitar Soloing" by Dan Gilbert might be a good place to start if you want to learn how to solo).

Why haven't your torn through every free lesson on JustinGuitar.com? Why aren't you signing up for one of the well-regarded paid online lesson outlets like Jamplay?

Lastly, you probably are improving. If you record yourself, and go back and listen to what you were playing three months ago, you'll probably be surprised by the improvement.
Quote by fret_shredder_1
Have you heard of BANDHAPPY? Its a website about to be launched and its full of singers and musicians from bands like lamb of god, periphery, etc. and its pretty much one on one lessons over the internet. I'm looking forward to it, you should check it out too.
http://bandhappy.com/
Heres the commercial they made for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE7-AUbpEik&feature=youtu.be

Can you remove those links please, the rules state you're not allowed to promote other websites on UG.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You make a good point Hotspur. I will most definately look into what you've mentioned, thank you.
stop making excuses.. you dont need other people in town to be goths/emos/punks/classical violinists to become a good musician.

1- Design a practice Schedule..
2 - If you wanna get good youre gonna need to practice way more than 1 hour per day.

Best wishes.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 4, 2012,
Start Woodshedding and dont stop till you reach your goals...Take pride in every millimeter of progress you make...Choose to love and enjoy the painfully slow process of inching towards the top of the guitar mountain... if you have the stomach for it all and keep throwing yourself at what currently seem to you to be impossible challenges on the instrument...one day you will "get there" and be able to do things on guitar that you can only fantisize about A.T.M. ~Of course hopefully by then you would have cooked up even more unreasonably difficult goals for yourself as you grow as a guitarist and as a person.
Last edited by DiabolusMusica5 at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
Start Woodshedding and dont stop till you reach your goals...Take pride in every millimeter of progress you make...Choose to love and enjoy the painfully slow process of inching towards the top of the guitar mountain... if you have the stomach for it all and keep throwing yourself at what currently seem to you to be impossible challenges on the instrument...one day you will "get there" and be able to do things on guitar that you can only fantisize about A.T.M. ~Of course hopefully by then you would have cooked up even more unreasonably difficult goals for yourself as you grow as a guitarist and as a person.

<3 beautiful <3
Read this post 100 times and internalize it, if shortcuts to success actually exist, knowing this information by heart is one.. once you really get it you will be immensely closer to your goals..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by Slashiepie
<3 beatiful <3
Read this post 100 times and internalize it, if shortcuts to success actually exist, knowing this information by heart is one.. once you really get it you will be immensely closer to your goals..

I agree ! beautiful !
Hi, sounds like your in a bit of a rut, what I found helpful when trying to learn a song I really liked but found difficult was find out what the guitarists influences were and learnt a couple of songs by that artist a simple one and a more complicated one. This way I'd learn the techniques that my favorite guitarist learnt and then I could apply these to the song I'm learning. Also if it's taking you three years to try and learn that song it may be that it's a little to complex for you and you need to learn simpler songs first and build up.
A new song should only take you a few hours to get down and after a week you should be able to play it well.
Lead parts are best learnt in small sections and each section should be practiced until you've got it and then string the small sections together.

Hope this helps and good luck
Hi, when I was in a rut I decided to branch out and learn other styles of music (blues and jazz for me).

As far as speed goes im still not the fastest in the world, but my technique is definitely better. Sometimes its good to learn something new, learning new songs will always help your technique and playing
The nr. 1 factor to become better is to want to become better and be willing to pay the "Price" (and i am not talking about money), i am talking about willingness to find a solution and put in the hours of practice to become better.

A hour a day can be a decent time to play guitar but you should first know what to practice. From what you are saying i think you should work on your finger strength.

For beginning you should take my free Ebook. You can see the table of contents here:

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Read it and pay attention to chapters 1 and 2 especially as it focuses on the mental and muscular processes of learning how to play guitar and also shows you how to improve.

By subscribing you also receive various lessons to help understand you guitar better.

PS: In order to improve you have to know what is your goal and what do you want to achieve
Cut it out guys, the thread and the world should have ended with Diabolus post..
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
lol thanks everybody, this has been most helpful. I apolagize if this seems like an attention-seeking thread, it wasn't meant as one. I appreciate all of your help and will do my best to heed all of your advice